You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

The longer you can delay getting the virus though the more time you buy to develop treatments and trial vaccines etc.

Part of the reason covid deaths have gone down is because the hospitals have a better understanding of the virus now. This is exactly why we should have gone in to lockdown much earlier than we did and worked out a sensible longer term plan. 

Do they ?

I thought one of the problems with this virus is we still have very little understanding of it. Hence, why we cant find a reliable test to say if anyone has had it or got it, or a treatment that works.

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

What is with the continual references to fascism? On restrictions/lockdowns, you can argue it is totalitarian but people are being paid to stay home - thats not fascism.

Agree with this.

There is a common cause, a benevolent cause, to stop older people and vulnerable people dying earlier, and in great pain.  To stop the NHS from being flooded with victims, to the point it kills many other people in need of other medical treatments.   To stop putting nurses and doctors in harms way. 

Far too many people being blase about Covid, you are being cunts.

Remember how in the early days we actually mourned victims, treated them like humans? 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/not-ready-to-go-tributes-paid-to-uk-first-named-victims-of-coronavirus

The government is choosing Brexit over Covid.  It can afford Covid, it can't afford both. 

1 minute ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Do they ?

I thought one of the problems with this virus is we still have very little understanding of it. Hence, why we cant find a reliable test to say if anyone has had it or got it, or a treatment that works.

One of the reasons for a slow reaction to it is the nationalistic attitudes in our government, in America, in Brazil, in India, in China, in Russia.  Combined, we could have knocked this out of the park.  

4 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

One of the reasons for a slow reaction to it is the nationalistic attitudes in our government, in America, in Brazil, in India, in China, in Russia.  Combined, we could have knocked this out of the park.  

It might helped if China had opened up about exactly what they know/knew about the origins of the virus. It might have helped with a starting point to eradicating it.

• Upvote 2

Rumours swirling that Britain is going to get a telling off from Alex tomorrow and he’s going to give us our final warning before he takes our toys away. Explains why he sent the grown ups out to try and reason with us.

Works on a few levels, he escapes blame because he ‘gave us the warning’, he appease the newly devout libertarian lunatic fringe on the back benches, and the economy can chug on a little.

I assume they’ll be some sort of restrictions put in place and greater uses of fines.

Instead of doubling down and trying to get out of a political bind as his narcissistic tendencies won’t allow him to accept blame, he shifts responsibility to ‘the people’, cunt.

Just fucking fix the problems, or allow those with expertise to do so, you overindulged, deluded, prick.

On 18/09/2020 at 20:01, MegadriveMan said:

If they had enforced a proper lock down in the first place we'd be in a much better position now. 

They've had 6 months to put things in place, and yet Johnson is talking about some crackpot £100 billion moon shot idea where some of the technology required hasn't been invented yet!

I still think a vaccine is very unlikely. 

So, essentially, you’re not a patriot. Burn him. 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Heading towards 1,000,000 Covid deaths worldwide. Still, it's mostly over 65 year olds so that's fine, right? 

It's not "fine". But it's a virus. It doesn't care what people think about it. And it will probably continue to be responsible for 2% of global deaths until it's burned itself out.

2 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Let's make this simple for you: did the government operate complete social lockdown during World War 2?

There hasn’t been a complete social lockdown this year. People were able to go out for exercise and to shop for food. Didn’t you have your photo taken outside Stamford Bridge during lockdown?

30 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Hahaha. I dunno if that actually helps but it sounds ridiculous. 

The logic seems to be 'less drinking time equals people get less drunk and stick to social distancing'

Not sure it is that simple myself.

If anything people may just try and drink faster or go out earlier and everyone trying to get home at same time instead of the sort of slow drip you get from maybe 1030 to 12 usually may create more problems than solves.

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Nah I think the 10pm curfew is a good idea, judging by what I saw in town the other week. Table service, finished at 10, no room for Matthew Street and concert Square style bedlam, especially with the students back.

I was being facetious, but it feels like an empty gesture, the fuckwits in ‘spoons don’t know what day of the week it is, less care for the time of day.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we shouldn’t be here with this halfway house, deeply flawed plan. 

Just sort the fucking basics out and work from there. On R4 this morning they pretty much admitted that they were only doing about 80,000 test a day as the real total included test given as precautions to NHS etc and double counts. For some reason they have stopped using army logistics, no idea why, so you have a load of effective, trained and ready to mobilised jarheads sat on their arse waiting for us to kick off with Iran, or which ever whipping boy we need to stimulate the munitions industries when all this is done.

Their egos, self serving nature and their refusal to accept any culpability is what’s the real issue and no amount of early closing is going to fix that. 

They’re also going to push the WFH again, because who would have thought getting people back would be problematic without effective T&T.

Also, St Sunak’s ideas are looking a little silly now... 

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Nah I think the 10pm curfew is a good idea, judging by what I saw in town the other week. Table service, finished at 10, no room for Matthew Street and concert Square style bedlam, especially with the students back.

I work right near Concert Square and it was bouncing at quarter to 5 when I walked past on Friday. Its busy by 2/3 everyday. All that will happen is loads of people will go back to each others houses/accommodation (students) and the police will be up the wall. maybe they are seeing the fines as another way to make money though? I can't trust this government not to see anything as a profit opportunity.