You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Airborne virus being, erm, airborne - shocking if true.

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated guidance on its website to say coronavirus can commonly spread "through respiratory droplets or small particles, such as those in aerosols," which are produced even when a person breathes.

3 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

so what are they saying? just run around and do what the fuck we like and lock up the vulnerable? 

to be honest that letter should go right in the bin as soon as they indicate people who believe COVID poses no risk at all should be part of the discussion. anyone who thinks that should be fucking locked up and used for experimentation. cunts. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Airborne virus being, erm, airborne - shocking if true.

The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated guidance on its website to say coronavirus can commonly spread "through respiratory droplets or small particles, such as those in aerosols," which are produced even when a person breathes.

I read that as arseholes. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

so what are they saying? just run around and do what the fuck we like and lock up the vulnerable? 

to be honest that letter should go right in the bin as soon as they indicate people who believe COVID poses no risk at all should be part of the discussion. anyone who thinks that should be fucking locked up and used for experimentation. cunts. 

They are saying follow the Sweden model, I think.

7 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I've read that maybe only as many as 8% of the population have been infected so far so there's months of this ahead of us. 

More misinformation from the press conference. 8% had antibodies on testing, but this doesn't account for T Cell Immunity, or Memory B Cells.

Anyway, this vaccine ain't looking too promising...

Pretty grim news here on the Oxford coronavirus vaccine: 2 of the 8,000 UK participants in the trial have developed a rare illness involving inflammation of the spine; in the US the illness hits about 1 in every 236,000 people annually

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. The Daily hell have had a daily article near the top of young people out on the ale in places like Newcastle & Leeds. Operation pass the buck is in full flow and unfortunately stupid tory one dimensional minded cunts will lap it up. Its all our fault. I could have told you this on the 16th of March. 

The same Daily Mail which a couple of weeks ago was telling everyone to get back onto buses and trains and into the office.

11 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I thought that was a very odd press conference. No news of any thing concrete, no questions just a bit of a scare tactic really. I suspect we are being softened up for another national lockdown sometime soon so there will be more of this in the coming days. I am getting really pissed off with how the Government is trying these amateur Derren Brown mind control techniques of selective off the record briefings and pointless press conferences.  Just tell us the fucking truth and be done with it. 

Johnson and the rest of the useless twats have been debating what to do next all weekend.

Today was very much a session to spread fear and remind everyone how 'bad it is' and how 'bad it will get', ahead of an announcement in next few days of further restrictions - all of which will be 'justified' by what we were told today.

Johnson will go with the 'it isn't my fault, honest folks' approach and just use what was said by the medical people in today's briefing as the why/to answer any questions.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I googled the first signatory of that letter and the first hit is a video from May where she says the virus is on the way out and death rate will be 0.05%. 

In fairness, as Professor Balloux says, nobody is correct with predictions and everybody is having to amend their thoughts all the time. Nobody has a crystal ball.

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

In fairness, as Professor Balloux says, nobody is correct with predictions and everybody is having to amend their thoughts all the time. Nobody has a crystal ball.

But she has absolutely no consequence to being wrong.   That’s what annoys me about all these people. They can spout their view, criticise, be wrong, and just change their view.  They’ll still get quoted for ‘balance’. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

But she has absolutely no consequence to being wrong.   That’s what annoys me about all these people. They can spout their view, criticise, be wrong, and just change their view.  They’ll still get quoted for ‘balance’. 

What about the model that said half a million people were going to die, which panicked most of the world into going into lockdowns which will cause no end of deaths? He's not only unaccountable, but still being asked for his opinion on the current state of affairs.

Her 0.5% will be a hell of a lot closer than his.

• Upvote 1

Markets already started to fall through the floor today. They will simply have to move to a targeted-measures approach, they are going to have no other choice ultimately. The alternative is going to be the biggest unemployment rate in the country's history with no once-in-a-lifetime furlough shot to fall back on. An in/out/in/out lockdown approach is not going to be feasible in a million years. The Swedes had it right from the off, only no one wants to admit it.

Just now, Spy Bee said:

What about the model that said half a million people were going to die, which panicked most of the world into going into lockdowns which will cause no end of deaths? He's not only unaccountable, but still being asked for his opinion on the current state of affairs.

Her 0.5% will be a hell of a lot closer than his.

I know that you’d be presenting the exact opposite opinion of the government had gone the other way.  

I don't want to sound like a massive conspiracy theorist, but I can't help thinking that the Tories are just using this to transfer funds from the public purse to private pockets. They have already done this in the most transparent way with PPE contracts. I suspect they see another opportunity with vaccines and tests. It's the only way I can account for their actions.

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I know that you’d be presenting the exact opposite opinion of the government had gone the other way.  

I'm just reflecting your argument back, that's all.

14 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Much better to trust the people who told us half a million would die when it's less than 10% of that, hey.

500k as a worst case scenario *without action*.  Action which was then taken, so of course it's lower than that. Higher than it should have been because they fucked around and undermined themselves but still...

Other people on here were slagging off the same guy for being irresponsible for only estimating 50k with his other modelling. Both modelling methodologies and assumptions were publicly available - which is a pretty clear form of accountability btw.

• Upvote 1