You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Further to my earlier post, more detail on why social distancing and lockdowns may not always be the best strategies for minimising death tolls (thread).

Completely ignoring last nights points/questions. 

How was Trafalgar Square today? 

I caught a q cold off my daughter last week. She’d come home from school Witt the sniffles.

hers seems to have cleared up but yesterday I’d started coughing quite a bit. Today I’ve not been caught here much at all and other than feeling a bit shit, and having a woolly head and a blocked nose, I think I’m doing ok.

only, I’ve just realised I can’t smell anything at all.

i can still taste, but not smell a thing. 

ive got vicks on my chest and albas oil on my pillow and can’t smell either of them.

but concerning that.

20 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I caught a q cold off my daughter last week. She’d come home from school Witt the sniffles.

hers seems to have cleared up but yesterday I’d started coughing quite a bit. Today I’ve not been caught here much at all and other than feeling a bit shit, and having a woolly head and a blocked nose, I think I’m doing ok.

ive got vicks on my chest and albas oil on my pillow and can’t smell either of them.

but concerning that.

Have you seen if you can get a test?

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

but concerning that.

Hope it turns out to be nothing serious mate. 

53 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Seems a strange decision to take if cases aren't rising in London? 

Screenshot_20200919_225514.jpg

They are despite what idiots might suggest.

Chris Whitty might 'spill the beans' if he doesn't get his way with a second lockdown according to the daly heil. What beans might they be..... I doubt the aRdja kind. 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hope it turns out to be nothing serious mate. 

They are despite what idiots might suggest.

Chris Whitty might 'spill the beans' if he doesn't get his way with a second lockdown according to the daly heil. What beans might they be..... I doubt the aRdja kind. 

Mr. Witty looks rather angry in this pic that I saw on Twitter yesterday. He's probably had enough of working with clueless bellends. 

EiN9ooYWsAEFTaX.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

but concerning that.

A bit of science helps here...loss of taste and smell symptoms are caused by depleted zinc. Zinc is used by the body for quick turn around functions, like hair growth/colouring, nail growth, sense of taste, smell, touch and immune system. Zinc and copper is used by the body in priorities, so immune system is highest priority. If you are ill, your immune system uses all the zinc and copper to fight the illness. Hair growth, nail growth, taste, smell, take a back seat during illness. 

It could be a normal cold, flu, anything that prompts an immune system response. It's a good sign that your body is fighting it with it's immune response.

42 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Been on the gov website about 15 times all told since Friday and just get the same message - system is busy try again later.

The whole site is designed to make you jump through that many hoops that you give up. Thats what they want. Not just Covid but tax, complaints the lot. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Seems a strange decision to take if cases aren't rising in London? 

Screenshot_20200919_225514.jpg

I think that's because people can't get tested in London. It's only anecdotal I know, but I had a meeting with someone on Friday who early in the week tried and failed to get a test before putting in a Leicester postcode and driving to Leicester to get tested. The Zoe app is showing numbers high in London. 

Screenshot_20200920-092408.jpg

Thing with this Zoe app in my mind - some of the spike in symptoms are going to be Covid related, but surely time of year will be part of it. The famous “freshers flu” is this time of year, every year, where new students take germs to and from uni. There’s a cold kicking about, which loads of people I know have had, so I assume that would pick up Covid symptoms on a tracker. The weather is changing - it’s normal.

Before anyone goes at me, I’m just looking for positives in all the misery and predictions of shit.

The other thing which I think is good, and I’m hoping it stays that way, is the death rate is low. Any death rate is shit, but if it stays low as cases rise, that can only be a good thing?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, belarus said:

Thing with this Zoe app in my mind - some of the spike in symptoms are going to be Covid related, but surely time of year will be part of it. The famous “freshers flu” is this time of year, every year, where new students take germs to and from uni. There’s a cold kicking about, which loads of people I know have had, so I assume that would pick up Covid symptoms on a tracker. The weather is changing - it’s normal.

Before anyone goes at me, I’m just looking for positives in all the misery and predictions of shit.

The other thing which I think is good, and I’m hoping it stays that way, is the death rate is low. Any death rate is shit, but if it stays low as cases rise, that can only be a good thing?

Someone posted a few pages back about some of the things Zoe are able to do with the symptoms they track where they have a pretty good idea what is and isn't covid rather than another virus. In addition to this, they're able to use the testing programme they're actually a part of to be able to relate positive tests to symptoms out there. So it's not "he's not feeling well, he has covid". I'd put more value in Zoe than any other source of data out there right now, because the value of the government data is not great because not everyone is getting a test who wants one and it take so long to get the results of any tests. My family have all had tests this last week and our results were returned at an average of 90 hours to return. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, belarus said:

We had this a few pages back, mate. If you report as ill with the Zoe app, it asks a couple of dozen questions about your symptoms- I'm pretty sure that it then assigns a weighting based on earlier responses combined with actual test data to determine whether or not you likely have it. The guy who heads up the research team said earlier in the week that if you have the classic cold symptoms of sneezing and a runny nose, then you almost certainly don't have Covid.

The app has pretty much been spot on with trends in actual testing data and such a large increase- it was about 1600 a day not so long ago- is really bad. As for deaths, they will lag infections and hospitalisations, so it's a few weeks before you see the figures. Both deaths and hospitalisations have pretty much doubled from a couple of weeks back already though.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Someone posted a few pages back about some of the things Zoe are able to do with the symptoms they track where they have a pretty good idea what is and isn't covid rather than another virus. In addition to this, they're able to use the testing programme they're actually a part of to be able to relate positive tests to symptoms out there. So it's not "he's not feeling well, he has covid". I'd put more value in Zoe than any other source of data out there right now, because the value of the government data is not great because not everyone is getting a test who wants one and it take so long to get the results of any tests. My family have all had tests this last week and our results were returned at an average of 90 hours to return. 

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

We had this a few pages back, mate. If you report as ill with the Zoe app, it asks a couple of dozen questions about your symptoms- I'm pretty sure that it then assigns a weighting based on earlier responses combined with actual test data to determine whether or not you likely have it. The guy who heads up the research team said earlier in the week that if you have the classic cold symptoms of sneezing and a runny nose, then you almost certainly don't have Covid.

The app has pretty much been spot on with trends in actual testing data and such a large increase- it was about 1600 a day not so long ago- is really bad. As for deaths, they will lag infections and hospitalisations, so it's a few weeks before you see the figures. Both deaths and hospitalisations have pretty much doubled from a couple of weeks back already though.

Fair enough. That’s pretty much pissed on my chips then...

BB36414F-7501-4211-B8BE-7D91C43B5B38.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2