You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

If you want I can pop out for a drive and take some pictures for you? I do have quite a lot of pictures of Northumberland and the surrounding area already, but most of them have a rally car in the middle of them. 

The local lockdown seems mostly bollocks anyway up here. Just the rule of 6 bullshit and the pubs shutting early, everything else is still pretty normal. The term lockdown is anything but accurate.

A friend of mine owns a hotel in Cleveland and they're open, just doing stuff to take precautions and keep visitors separate etc. and aren't having any issues being able to keep open although it's made how they do things a bit of a strange setup. 

Thanks mate, between that and Google street view I needn't have booked a holiday to start with.

If it stays at is now then I'm happy to go, plenty of open space to avoid people and we'll be very cautious out and about, probably opting to eat at the cottage of an evening. 

2 hours ago, Karl_b said:

It's also looking increasingly unlikely I'll get that week's break in Northumberland next month, isn't it? I'll be gutted if so - much like Suzy we just fancies a change of scenery, walks on the beach and spending some time together, nothing fancy. Right now I'd go and be happy but I suspect things will be worse in another month.

We've had to cancel 3 this year. It was my missus's 50th earlier in the year, and we had a trip to New York planned which has been moved to next year and a family holiday to Spain in July got outright cancelled. A bunch of her school mates are also turning 50 this year, and we'd hired a big country house in the Borders for this weekend which has also been nixed.

I've got 10 days to take before the end of the year now, and was thinking of taking our youngest down to my Mum's in North Wales in the October half term as we haven't seen her since all this started. Looks like that is very unlikely to happen as well- she may or may not have had it as she was really ill in March, but as she's asthmatic and in her 70s, we can't really risk it.

2 hours ago, A Red said:

One of our holiday cottages sleeps 8, most of the forward bookings for the rest of the year are for 6 or less, but we have 1 booking for 7 in October. This is a booking that was moved from June which it looks like we or they will have to cancel or they will have to leave 1 person at home. I have no idea of their personal circumstances, it was booked through an agent, but it could be their only holiday of the year and very upsetting to miss out on.

They might just turn up with all 7 and then we're in a right shite situation.

If its 7 people from one household then that must be allowed? Or does this 'rule of 6' nonsense mean that households of 7 or more can't go anywhere?

On 14/09/2020 at 08:43, Vincent Vega said:

My mate’s missus has tested positive for Covid. My mate himself had a test on Saturday and is awaiting the result, but it sounds like he’s got it as he’s lost his taste and smell. My mate will hopefully be fine as he’s in decent shape, but I’m worried for his missus as she had treatment for breast cancer last year and it wiped her out, and her immune system is shot, plus she’s a bit of a heifer.

My mate also tested positive, but his only symptoms are loss of taste and smell and a slight feeling of a cold. His missus however is now in Warrington hospital with pneumonia. She’s not in the best shape having gone through cancer treatment and being overweight, but she simply wouldn’t be in hospital if she hadn’t caught the virus, so those saying we should just crack on are being a bit callous in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If its 7 people from one household then that must be allowed? Or does this 'rule of 6' nonsense mean that households of 7 or more can't go anywhere?

I think that's very much what it means. But the fact we're talking about it and it's not clear is a bigger issue I think. The messaging is awful. It's like this "essential" use of public we've got from next week. What does "essential" mean? Does it mean essential workers getting to and from work? Does it mean the rest of us getting to work? Does it mean doing shopping? It's just not clear. 

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I'm assuming they're now going to change their assertion that children don't pass on the virus?

What a bunch of crocks.

I don't think they thought that. They just wanted to kids back in school so said it anyway. 

The fact that all of the UK's various constituent parts are making different decisions with the same raw data is annoying also. As an example, A Red is worried about 7 people in his holiday home whereas if it was in Scotland he could have 10 people in there as long as 4 of them are under 18. I just hope the virus is aware of Hadrians Wall

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, A Red said:

One of our holiday cottages sleeps 8, most of the forward bookings for the rest of the year are for 6 or less, but we have 1 booking for 7 in October. This is a booking that was moved from June which it looks like we or they will have to cancel or they will have to leave 1 person at home. I have no idea of their personal circumstances, it was booked through an agent, but it could be their only holiday of the year and very upsetting to miss out on.

They might just turn up with all 7 and then we're in a right shite situation.

Does it come with a shed? Sorted.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

That’s what I think, if they’re all the same household I’m sure it’s ok.

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

If it stays at is now then I'm happy to go, plenty of open space to avoid people and we'll be very cautious out and about, probably opting to eat at the cottage of an evening. 

Same here, fingers crossed for you.

• Upvote 1

I thought the whole point of a lockdown was to see where the infections are actually coming from. It's hardly a coincidence that within a couple of weeks of schools opening that the numbers are soaring. All other aspects of the country opening up had next to no effect.

Scientific experiments work on the basis that the results you get out depend on the factors you work in. If the results aren't obvious to the people who are making the decisions, they are clearly not following the science and are simply making decisions oblivious to the results that are blindingly obvious to them.

Schools cannot close forever but it's surely obvious at this stage that the way that all schools have returned and how the kids are acting is absolutely driving these numbers up.

4 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I thought the whole point of a lockdown was to see where the infections are actually coming from. It's hardly a coincidence that within a couple of weeks of schools opening that the numbers are soaring. All other aspects of the country opening up had next to no effect.

Scientific experiments work on the basis that the results you get out depend on the factors you work in. If the results aren't obvious to the people who are making the decisions, they are clearly not following the science and are simply making decisions oblivious to the results that are blindingly obvious to them.

Schools cannot close forever but it's surely obvious at this stage that the way that all schools have returned and how the kids are acting is absolutely driving these numbers up.

Blame the kids. Have the Tories done that yet? Little cunts. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Blame the kids. Have the Tories done that yet? Little cunts. 

Not the kids fault, it's the schools that have no control over them. The other day I saw a hundred or so kids all walk out at the same time, either all at the same bus stop or chippy or shop for drinks and hardly a single mask.

The schools have been left to do the work that these cunts had several months to work on. They gave them guidance the Friday before the kids were back full-time. Honestly, it's shocking the level of ineptitude on display, only equalled in the stupidity of every one of the 40% who would still vote for them.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Not the kids fault, it's the schools that have no control over them. The other day I saw a hundred or so kids all walk out at the same time, either all at the same bus stop or chippy or shop for drinks and hardly a single mask.

I wasn't being serious mate. I fully agree there, the schools should be staggering start and finish times etc. Even half days but obviously with that comes problems for parents. Its horrible. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I wasn't being serious mate. I fully agree there, the schools should be staggering start and finish times etc. Even half days but obviously with that comes problems for parents. Its horrible. 

It's really fucked up, I would prefer not to go into full lockdown again but if these numbers keep soaring it's hard to see anything else happening.

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

The schools have been left to do the work that these cunts had several months to work on. They gave them guidance the Friday before the kids were back full-time. Honestly, it's shocking the level of ineptitude on display, only equalled in the stupidity of every one of the 40% who would still vote for them.

It's almost like they knew it would happen, didn't want to deal with prevention and now have put us back to square one.

9 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

You can't blame the schools, they're doing their best mostly.

The government however, would very much like people to blame the schools. 

This makes no sense at all. 

13 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The government gave schools barely any time to prepare - as Skend04 said above the guidance was issued on the Friday night before start of term. 

Ah, I see what you mean. I thought you were saying there is no chance that it could be spreading in schools. I 100% agree, this Govt has not only given the schools no chance to be safe areas but has also blatantly lied by saying they are definitely safe places even though they've done nothing to make them safe.

The Govt's level of incompetence is only matched by their level of dishonesty.