You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Чемпионы said:

We can fucking scream and stomp all we want, I don't think this government will lock down the nation again no matter what. I'm not going to defend the fucking tories and they'll have to explain their decision and probably say something about the economy etc. They're not going to spend billions paying a large swathe of the population to remain at home again, no matter what people want.

Arguing the rights and wrongs is fine but none of us actually get to decide and none of us are to blame. Opinions are just that and nobody here that I am aware of is an expert, we're all parrots that listen to experts. it seems we went from being f**tball finance experts to pandemic experts with barely a heartbeat. Can we just agree that generally we all care about the community and everyone in it, none of us want to throw anyone in danger to the wolves. 

The harsh truth 'in my opinion' is that for healthy young people there is no real danger. If you're young and healthy then it isn't the governments job to baby you, just use common sense and stay away from the vulnerable. Proper clear advice from some fucker on TV would help but the hapless goons they parade and the point scoring retards armed with questions haven't helped at all. People cry about a nanny state but then demand to be told when to wipe their own arses. 

Likewise if you're old or vulnerable then advise people to stay away for now. Take the proper precautions. Should the government try to hold everyone's hand? 

Things like letting the young shop in the afternoon and evening and the oldies and vulnerable in the mornings. Prioritise vulnerable people for supermarket deliveries. 

While we're at it, wouldn't it be nice if the media took some responsibility and instead of chasing clicks decided to report the news? 

Fuck knows what would have happened if this pandemic was a very deadly one. It's bad enough that people have and are suffering from this one. 

I agree with most of that. However, I'm 33 in good physical shape and have no underlying health conditions and it very nearly killed me. I do realise that statistically I was very unlucky but no one is immune to a bad dose of this illness. The vast majority of young people will be fine but to say that there is 'no danger' to young people isn't necessarily true, that doesn't mean we should all hide isolate but not to get complacent and think only the old and vulnerable can be seriously affected by it because it can cause serious health problems to anybody if you react badly to it.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Elite said:

I agree with most of that. However, I'm 33 in good physical shape and have no underlying health conditions and it very nearly killed me. I do realise that statistically I was very unlucky but no one is immune to a bad dose of this illness. The vast majority of young people will be fine but to say that there is 'no danger' to young people isn't necessarily true, that doesn't mean we should all hide isolate but not to get complacent and think only the young and vulnerable can be seriously affected by it because it can cause serious health problems to anybody if you react badly to it.

They key word in this is 'complacent'. A mix of government and human complacency has made this worse. I haven't been abroad since lockdown so can't speak for other countries but people in this country have been fucking arseholes about it. 

You fat fucker 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Elite said:

I agree with most of that. However, I'm 33 in good physical shape and have no underlying health conditions and it very nearly killed me. I do realise that statistically I was very unlucky but no one is immune to a bad dose of this illness. The vast majority of young people will be fine but to say that there is 'no danger' to young people isn't necessarily true, that doesn't mean we should all hide isolate but not to get complacent and think only the old and vulnerable can be seriously affected by it because it can cause serious health problems to anybody if you react badly to it.

We should not be complacent at all, there isn't a one size fits all solution just some general quick fixes. My son wasn't as bad as you but he wasn't well and had lung damage when x-rayed a few weeks after, which hopefully has cleared. He recently tested negative to something that he felt was a similar illness but not as bad. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It only takes one case of re-infection to make it not dogshit. 

No it doesn't. It is clearly nonsensical to say that you don't stay immune just because 0.000000001% of people may not stay immune.

If it makes you happier, I'll compromise and state that what he said was only 99.999999% dogshit.

1 minute ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

No it doesn't. It is clearly nonsensical to say that you don't stay immune just because 0.000000001% of people may not stay immune.

If it makes you happier, I'll compromise and state that what he said was only 99.999999% dogshit.

Oh right. 

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Over 20 deaths 4 days in a row for the UKies - mid July was the last time that happened.

We went over 100 people on ventilators for the first time in a couple of months on 15th September. 127 on them now. Here’s my experience of what happens/will happen with the numbers though and it makes it pointless arguing daily on it to be honest with people who think like this.

So, a month/Six weeks ago we had:

“The cases aren’t rising, they’re going down so this is all a load of shit. Herd immunity, T-Cells etc...”

Cases then rise. 

“Well, they’re hardly rising much are they? Besides, they were bound to rise as we open things. Come back to me when they rise a lot.”

Cases then rise a lot. 

“Yeah but look at hospitalisations. They’re not going up at all. There are new strains of the virus, look at this orthodontist from Panama who thinks the virus is now less virulent. Come back to me when hospitalisations rise.”

Hospitalisations then rise. This is where we are currently. And this is how it’s going to go from here:

”Yeah, well it’s still really low numbers. More people in hospital from Flu! Come back to me when loads of people end up in hospital with it”

Loads of people end up in hospital with it. 

“Deaths are hardly going up at all though. We have much better treatments and it’s mainly young people catching it. Come back to me when it deaths go up a lot”

Deaths go up a lot. 

“Well we’ll just have to live with it I’m afraid. The cure is worse than the disease. What about all the people who can’t get cancer treatment (please note - in the reality they’ve created, people are more likely to get cancer treatment if we let hospitals get overwhelmed with Covid patients for some reason) mental health problems are sky high (purely as a result of lockdown and nothing to do with loads of people getting sick and dying) the economy is going to be fucked which is even worse than Covid (again, for some reason the assumption is that letting this run unchecked and loads of people become sick and dying of it doesn’t impact the economy negatively) look at - insert whatever country is currently experiencing a low number of cases with completely different demographics and lower population density - we should have followed them all along!

Very unlikely to chance anyone’s mind now. It’s like Brexit, people are entrenched in their camp and only time is going to tell who is right. But while we’re not sure who will be right, let’s err on the side of caution and not just assume things like people can’t get reinfected or have T-Cell immunity from other Coronaviruses. Let’s act on those things when it’s confirmed to be true. 

• Upvote 10

Maybe some people have said those things, but so far as I can see most lockdown sceptics agreed that there would be local spikes in hospitalisations and deaths after lockdown was lifted, as those areas which were not heavily hit first time around begin to catch up with those areas who were hit heavily (and consequently attained herd immunity, or something close to it).

1 minute ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Maybe some people have said those things, but so far as I can see most lockdown sceptics agreed that there would be local spikes in hospitalisations and deaths after lockdown was lifted, as those areas which were not heavily hit first time around begin to catch up with those areas who were hit heavily (and consequently attained herd immunity, or something close to it).

Jesus wept. 

7 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Like I said, it’s not really worth talking about it because it’s too early to tell who will be right. Maybe cases aren’t rising in London (or New York as I see you’ve mentioned) because of a degree of herd immunity.

Or maybe those places have been hit hard, had long lockdowns and the residents have changed their behaviour in a big way which is why London is a ghost town for example. 

If you’re advocating everywhere in America willingly lets themselves be hit as hard as New York on a hunch that herd immunity will be achieved then I can’t get behind that. That’s a hell of a lot of people dead. 

Going to have to wait and see how it pans out in these places over the next few months.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Why do you think cases in New York aren't increasing? Or London? Take your time.

Conveniently leaving out the North West? You know, the worst hit area in the UK which is now seeing cases rise? 

Cases in New York will increase, I expect you to acknowledge it when they do.  

For someone who claims to be intelligent you aren't half thick when it comes to making things up. 

5 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

If you’re advocating everywhere in America willingly lets themselves be hit as hard as New York on a hunch that herd immunity will be achieved then I can’t get behind that. That’s a hell of a lot of people dead. 

Going to have to wait and see how it pans out in these places over the next few months.

New York has a fatality rate of 1705 deaths per million population, not far off three times the UK's rate. If that's the likely end state, then fuck that.

It's also still fairly strictly locked down, schools won't go back and restaurants won't re-open until the end of the month and they have a 14 day quarantine for anyone entering the city from a state with widespread prevalence.

Funny though, you described things perfectly in your earlier post- play down the current figures and cite somewhere else as 'proof'.

• Upvote 1