You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

I haven't got time to get into the detail just now. I'll have a look tomorrow. I must be misinterpreting something.

You're too hard on yourself.

One one of the leading economist/statistician/epidemiologist in the country and you damn-well know it, you just need to cut yourself some slack for christ's sake.  

3 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

You're too hard on yourself.

One one of the leading economist/statistician/epidemiologist in the country and you damn-well know it, you just need to cut yourself some slack for christ's sake.  

If you're going to be a snarky cunt, then at least try not to talk shite while you're doing it!

9 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Cases in UK down 300 on last Monday.

I think that's encouraging, though give it another week before judging.  Schools not long been back, that's the litmus test.  

this is why sturgeon is complaining isn't it? She said there's just a massive back log of tests in the testing facilities (which are UK wide, not per devolved state) and the numbers would be higher if we could actually process the tests. 

10 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Cases in UK down 300 on last Monday.

I think that's encouraging, though give it another week before judging.  Schools not long been back, that's the litmus test.  

3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if there was a drop in cases today if what Sturgeon says is happening in Scotland is replicated across the whole of the UK. 

C04E3DFC-7E8E-4602-B3EC-1EAB966AE59F.png

Ho hum. You want to look at the seven day average anyway to see the trend. 

Full disclosure, for the enhancement of this thread, I live on the Isles of Scilly, which is 28 miles off Cornwall.

It's has a 2,300 population.

Almost total lock-down from March to June, very limited travel to and from the islands, zero known cases in all that time.   

4 July, tourism season flies open, against the will of many here.  We get inundated with people from across the country, it's still really busy now.  Also French yachts and other mariner perverts. 

We're talking about a weekly transient population change of around 1,500 - 2,000 tourists for the past 9-10 weeks.  There are some extreme pinch-points, there is basically one 'supermarket' for the islands, a Co-op, and there are small planes flying people here, and a smallish ferry that takes almost 3 hours to get here, and about 5 pubs.  The Co-op only lets 10 in at a time, so you're often queuing for 20 minutes outside, people with no masks, some questionable social distancing.  

But still at 0 known cases here as of today.   Not one single known case from March to September.  

A local GP does a 'state of the nation' type post on Facebook each week on the residents notice board, where we have all been awaiting the news of the first case to be relayed to us.  Since March, remember, we've lived like that, complete knife-edge, this place is full of oldies who come here to retire. 

Make of that what you will.  I don't know what to make of it. 

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Full disclosure, for the enhancement of this thread, I live on the Isles of Scilly, which is 28 miles off Cornwall.

Almost total lock-down from March to June, very limited travel to and from the islands, zero known cases in all that time.   

4 July, tourism season flies open, against the will of many here.  We get inundated with people from across the country, it's still really busy now.  Also French yachts and other mariner perverts. 

We're talking about a weekly transient population change of around 1,500 - 2,000 tourists for the past 9-10 weeks.  There are some extreme pinch-points, there is basically one 'supermarket' for the islands, a Co-op, and there are small planes flying people here, and a smallish ferry that takes almost 3 hours to get here, and about 5 pubs.  The Co-op only lets 10 in at a time, so you're often queuing for 20 minutes outside, people with no masks, some questionable social distancing.  

But still at 0 known cases here as of today.   Not one single known case from March to September.  

A local GP does a 'state of the nation' type post on Facebook each week on the residents notice board, where we have all been awaiting the news of the first case to be relayed to us.  Since March, remember, we've lived like that, complete knife-edge, this place is full of oldies who come here to retire. 

Is the Valhalla museum any good? It must be mad living there knowing that the slightest kick-off from the atlantic and your underwater mate. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Lucky cunt. I love the IOS .

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Is there a Scillyian mafia?

"I'm gonna go get the Cornish pasty, the Cornish pasty."

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Is the Valhalla museum any good? It must be mad living there knowing that the slightest kick-off from the atlantic and your underwater mate. 

You mean the shiphead thing on Tresco?  If you're into that, it'll definitely fill 20 minutes...

abi

I think we take that stuff for granted to be fair, our museum is full of stuff that many other museums can only dream of.  We just find shit lying around on the sea-bed.  They exploded a WW2 bomb on one of the islands the other day, fuck knows how that's remained untouched for so long, right on one of the nice beaches on Samson (uninhabited island).

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Lucky cunt. I love the IOS .

You been? 

We're fucking awesome in the summer when it's not foggy.  Can have a golden beach to yourself no problem, or go on a sea safari to visit the seal and puffin colonies, and you will probably see dolphins.  Have even recently had tuna shoals and Minke whales.

Actually, the shoal of tuna thing is mad, I've only seen vids of it but basically it's like the sea is boiling. 

But, come winter, it's hard.  It's the wind that's the bastard. 

21 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

You been? 

We're fucking awesome in the summer when it's not foggy.  Can have a golden beach to yourself no problem, or go on a sea safari to visit the seal and puffin colonies, and you will probably see dolphins.  Have even recently had tuna shoals and Minke whales.

Actually, the shoal of tuna thing is mad, I've only seen vids of it but basically it's like the sea is boiling. 

Been lots of times mate. Was there last the week after lockdown lifted which was all a bit weird. 

Been on the sea safari a couple of times , it's great. Saw a basking shark one time and loads of sunfish. Seen the the puffins nesting on Annet.  I like all the Oyster Catchers on Tresco . Never been in winter mind. 

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

You lucky fucker

Amazing place

41 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

You been? 

You complete and utter bastard, I thought I was the most southwesterly UK poster on this site.

3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Class. Were you born there or retire/win the lottery?

Love islands, me.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Class. Were you born there or retire/win the lottery?

Love islands, me.

Born there. 

So was my wife, and one of my kids, the other was early so we had to be flown in a chopper to Truro (Treliske Hospital) just in case anything went wrong. 

1 hour ago, A Red said:

You complete and utter bastard, I thought I was the most southwesterly UK poster on this site.

Where are you? 

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

You lucky fucker

Amazing place

Sometimes I realise that, sometimes I don't agree.  You need money to live here properly and be able to afford to get away regularly enough.  When the freight boat doesn't arrive in the winter for 5 days due to big seas, and the shelves are basically bare in the Co-op, you get frustrated.  Like never being able to have a MacDonalds, or a Chinese, or a curry, or a KFC, or a decent coffee shop, or a trainer shop, or go cinema, etc.  It's the small things that sometimes bug you, especially when you have kids, sometimes you just want to take them to a toy-shop, or a proper playground, or take them to watch a footy match.  Obviously during pandemic it's all fucked, but in normal times you just wish it was cheap enough to get away for a few weekends a year, but it's not. 

2 hours ago, magicrat said:

Been lots of times mate. Was there last the week after lockdown lifted which was all a bit weird. 

Been on the sea safari a couple of times , it's great. Saw a basking shark one time and loads of sunfish. Seen the the puffins nesting on Annet.  I like all the Oyster Catchers on Tresco . Never been in winter mind. 

Are you a bird-watcher then?  It's that time of year now we get hordes of them coming here hoping to find stray rare birds that have gotten lost in Atlantic storms.  

I take it you mean the black RIB speed boat sea safari?  That's my mate Richard who runs that, with his amazingly MILFY wife.  Now THEY have a fucking amazing lifestyle.  Just chilling in their beach-hut on Porthmellon from May to September each year.  

Tresco is fucking great though.  Some people complain that it's too manicured and perfect.  That's a mental thing to complain about.  Just enjoy it.  My arl fella has a hobby-sized fishing boat (he used to be a proper fisherman with a proper fishing boat and then retired and sold it) and he takes us across to Tresco so we can take the kids swimming in one of their outdoor pools.  It's mad that it's free, the guy who owns the island just doesn't care as long as you don't be a dick. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Born there. 

So was my wife, and one of my kids, the other was early so we had to be flown in a chopper to Truro (Treliske Hospital) just in case anything went wrong. 

Where are you? 

Sometimes I realise that, sometimes I don't agree.  You need money to live here properly and be able to afford to get away regularly enough.  When the freight boat doesn't arrive in the winter for 5 days due to big seas, and the shelves are basically bare in the Co-op, you get frustrated.  Like never being able to have a MacDonalds, or a Chinese, or a curry, or a KFC, or a decent coffee shop, or a trainer shop, or go cinema, etc.  It's the small things that sometimes bug you, especially when you have kids, sometimes you just want to take them to a toy-shop, or a proper playground, or take them to watch a footy match.  Obviously during pandemic it's all fucked, but in normal times you just wish it was cheap enough to get away for a few weekends a year, but it's not. 

Are you a bird-watcher then?  It's that time of year now we get hordes of them coming here hoping to find stray rare birds that have gotten lost in Atlantic storms.  

I take it you mean the black RIB speed boat sea safari?  That's my mate Richard who runs that, with his amazingly MILFY wife.  Now THEY have a fucking amazing lifestyle.  Just chilling in their beach-hut on Porthmellon from May to September each year.  

Tresco is fucking great though.  Some people complain that it's too manicured and perfect.  That's a mental thing to complain about.  Just enjoy it.  My arl fella has a hobby-sized fishing boat (he used to be a proper fisherman with a proper fishing boat and then retired and sold it) and he takes us across to Tresco so we can take the kids swimming in one of their outdoor pools.  It's mad that it's free, the guy who owns the island just doesn't care as long as you don't be a dick. 

I enjoy seeing all the wildlife there not that I’m any expert . Your mate and his very nice missus live in that house with the phone box by Old Town if I recall and yes they must have a great life. Tresco is a great walk round the top with fabulous views and deserted beaches  Don’t usually bother with with the crowds in the gardens any more . Last few years we have spent a few days staying on Agnes enjoying the peace and a few beers at the Turks Head .

9 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Where are you? 

Helford/Lizard, nearest town Helston.

We've been down here for 6 years but only been over to IOS once on a day trip from Terminal 1 of Lands End International Airport. It was a February and went over to Tresco, absolutely stunning. We keep meaning to go back but the mrs doesnt fancy going over on the Scillonian and its difficult to sort flying with the dogs.

16 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

No.

ONS also shows 52k in their Covid numbers - significantly more than the Hopkins numbers.

The data from Public Health on flu death rates is back a few pages from when Stronts first tried this tactic.

Average deaths from flu for the last 5 years is like 17k or something along those lines.

So, when Covid arrived it absolutely was responsible for the deaths of many thousands of people. I'm wondering if this was some kind of early harvest. If a certain amount of people were more susceptible than most?

Now, we are still outside flu season, but (unless I misunderstand) more people are dying with flu, than with Covid? How can that be?

Now, you could obviously argue that people are dying of Covid, but dying with flu. I'd  say that is a separate argument, at least for now.