You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-08-10/how-spains-face-mask-rules-are-being-broken.html

This was a really damning report from last month and completely chimes with what you've just posted.

I was really surprised when I saw the news about a month or so ago and saw that it's actually the north that have the worst face mask related stats. Especially as they don't have the excuse of the heat. Loads admit they basically never wear one. 

The problem is that most people adhere to the rules and are generally careful. They walk around town with a mask, try to give people space, etc. Then you see an entire bar full of cunts sitting on top of each other and you think what's the fucking point.

I would genuinely be completely in favour of the style of policing in India. Just rocking up at these bars with sticks and beating the shit out of them. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The positive cases have shot up so the death rate will increase later down the line off the back of it. 

Hopefully not as the hope is the virus has lost its strength which is why less people are suffering serious illness than the initial spike. I could well be wrong I'm just keeping an open mind, I still distance, use a face mask and take the precautions but i will be surprised if it turns out as bad as they seem to think. 

29 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Not the point,  I'm just trying to balance the debate .The hysteria over this so called second wave seems well over played. 

Obviously if the the death rate rises then action should be taken but as we have opened schools, pubs, work etc a spike in young people contracting the virus is predictable, thankfully the virus does not seem to do serious harm to that group of people. 

The graphs from the link above show the current death rate to approx 6 a day compared to approx 1000 a day in late march/april. Plus it seems the virus may be losing strength. 

Thousands upon thousands are about to lose their livelihoods over these restrictions, we cant hide under the blankets for much longer.

Are people hiding under their blankets? It's only from my point of view, but everyone I know is working or going to school. Okay there are changes in routine but generally speaking people are getting on as best they can.

No offence, and I don't know you from Adam, but saying people are hiding under blankets sounds a bit Daily Mail.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

The budget for the nhs england is approx 115 billion a year. Moonspunk is set to cost 100 billion. Add that 100 billion to what has already been spent and the cost to the economy and its fucking madness.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-10/mass-testing-plans-could-cost-up-to-100-billion--reports

No no no. It's the office workers not going to Pret, and Tesco Express, and Timpsons, that's what's tanking the economy. It must be true it was in the Daily Telegraph. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Jairzinho

Spain got hit square in the face by the firehose when it was at it's utmost strength. Thought it was handled pretty well tbh - especially compared to the US or UK, not to mention a half dozen Central/South American countires. Feels like some of those invited a "cull" of certain parts of their population.

Yeah, I probably agree in comparison to the US or UK. Loads of things go/went against Spain as well - the fact it arrived earlier than in Northern Europe, cultural stuff, the weather, it being a holiday destination of choice (and the pressure that put on the government to reopen), huge unemployment especially among the young meaning there are always groups of people hanging around, etc, etc. It all contributes. Thankfully the health care system is actually really good. Not the case in most Central/South American countries.

The next couple of weeks will be key here. I just can't see how with everyone coming back from holidays, schools reopening, and lots of businesses insisting people return to the office (even if they don't need to), it won't be an absolute clusterfuck.

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

Are people hiding under their blankets? It's only from my point of view, but everyone I know is working or going to school. Okay there are changes in routine but generally speaking people are getting on as best they can.

No offence, and I don't know you from Adam, but saying people are hiding under blankets sounds a bit Daily Mail.

Yeah ok I phrased it wrong, I can understand the elderly and people with health concerns being very cautious but I can also understand young people basically doing what young people have been doing from year dot, which is basically not really caring about consequences.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mudface said:

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-08-10/how-spains-face-mask-rules-are-being-broken.html

This was a really damning report from last month and completely chimes with what you've just posted.

This is bollocks. I would put face mask use in Spain at over 99%, and that applies everywhere in public, even outside.

4 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

This is bollocks. I would put face mask use in Spain at over 99%, and that applies everywhere in public, even outside.

Or, we could just look at the objective data and all work on the same assumptions?

84% claiming they are observing the law when questioned, high validity in this one I'd wager.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1114375/wearing-a-face-mask-outside-in-european-countries/

4 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

No no no. It's the office workers not going to Pret, and Tesco Express, and Timpsons, that's what's tanking the economy. It must be true it was in the Daily Telegraph. 

I'm all for a re order in the way we live and if more people work from home good. I couldn't care less about people commuting on a packed train/bus to an office, not a good idea at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Or, we could just look at the objective data and all work on the same assumptions?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1114375/wearing-a-face-mask-outside-in-european-countries/

I don't know what the graphs show, but that's from June. It's September now.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yeah ok I phrased it wrong, I can understand the elderly and people with health concerns being very cautious but I can also understand young people basically doing what young people have been doing from year dot, which is basically not really caring about consequences.

There's always gangs of kids round the shops by us. You'd think they'd want to wear masks they've always got big fucking coats zipped up as far as they'll go!

Also, my eldest's school has told parents to wear masks cos the first few days of drop off and pick up were farcical with parents just in big groups. Still plenty who don't. You'd think they'd be embarrassed since the teachers are wearing them outside school as well. 

29 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I was really surprised when I saw the news about a month or so ago and saw that it's actually the north that have the worst face mask related stats. Especially as they don't have the excuse of the heat. Loads admit they basically never wear one. 

The problem is that most people adhere to the rules and are generally careful. They walk around town with a mask, try to give people space, etc. Then you see an entire bar full of cunts sitting on top of each other and you think what's the fucking point.

I would genuinely be completely in favour of the style of policing in India. Just rocking up at these bars with sticks and beating the shit out of them. 

I went to a wedding in Guildford last weekend and they are far far stricter than up here for face-mask use/social distancing. Temperature checks before entering a pub or restaurant, proper social distancing. Questioned about bubbles etc. 

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

There's always gangs of kids round the shops by us. You'd think they'd want to wear masks they've always got big fucking coats zipped up as far as they'll go!

Also, my eldest's school has told parents to wear masks cos the first few days of drop off and pick up were farcical with parents just in big groups. Still plenty who don't. You'd think they'd be embarrassed since the teachers are wearing them outside school as well. 

Yeah I know, it's not hard is it? That's why I just mask up and keep a distance when out, it's not the greatest of inconsistencies I've encountered in my life. I'm not massively concerned but if it reassures others then fair enough.

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Are you saying 99% of people there are wearing a mask? My missus' Dad lives in Madrid and he said loads aren't wearing them. 

Maybe things are different there, but it wasn't until today I saw anyone in public not wearing one, outside of eating/drinking/beach situations.