You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

My uncle has just tested positive. He caught it off his sons mate when he was dropping them both off at footy. His sons mate is 27 and a teacher so could have picked it up in school, and spent last night in the Royal as he couldn’t breathe. Not on a ventilator, yet at least, but so much for it not affecting young people. 

He also ordered home testing kits for him, his wife and two of his sons who live with him. His test came back positive. One of his sons tests came back negative. The test for his wife arrived without swabs so he’s had to order a new one and the test for his other son didn’t have a barcode on it so they had to reorder one for him as well. So obviously the other two don’t know if they’re positive or not. 

I know mistakes happen but it’s a fucking shambles testing at the minute. 

11 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

My uncle has just tested positive. He caught it off his sons mate when he was dropping them both off at footy. His sons mate is 27 and a teacher so could have picked it up in school, and spent last night in the Royal as he couldn’t breathe. Not on a ventilator, yet at least, but so much for it not affecting young people. 

He also ordered home testing kits for him, his wife and two of his sons who live with him. His test came back positive. One of his sons tests came back negative. The test for his wife arrived without swabs so he’s had to order a new one and the test for his other son didn’t have a barcode on it so they had to reorder one for him as well. So obviously the other two don’t know if they’re positive or not. 

Test and trace of a high quality was always going to be the main thing to keep us on the downswing. The only thing I'd say is it appears we're not alone at being shit at this. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

My uncle has just tested positive. He caught it off his sons mate when he was dropping them both off at footy. His sons mate is 27 and a teacher so could have picked it up in school, and spent last night in the Royal as he couldn’t breathe. Not on a ventilator, yet at least, but so much for it not affecting young people

That I know too well. Hope he recovers okay.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Surely that's just a guess ? There's no way he can he be 100% that's how he caught it is there ?

Well he’s only left the house once in a week and that was to drop the his son and his mate off. His son is negative and his mate is positive so he’s pretty sure that’s the only way he could have caught it. 

The mate started showing symptoms later the same day he dropped them off so must have caught it earlier, possibly in school. My uncle is yet to show symptoms but that could mean he’s asymptomatic or presymptomatic. 

55 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

https://www.rcpath.org/uploads/assets/90111431-8aca-4614-b06633d07e2a3dd9/Guidance-and-SOP-COVID-19-Testing-NHS-Laboratories.pdf

On page 16, this shows that the NHS are using 45 cycles on PCR test. Anything over 30 produces false negatives.

Real-time PCR is not an end-point analysis. 45 cycles is used to take the reaction to it's plateau. The actual measurement of a positive test will be based on the threshold cycle or Ct when you actually see exponential amplification of the DNA (through increase in fluorescence mediated by the FAM probes added to the reaction).

2 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Real-time PCR is not an end-point analysis. 45 cycles is used to take the reaction to it's plateau. The actual measurement of a positive test will be based on the threshold cycle or Ct when you actually see exponential amplification of the DNA (through increase in fluorescence mediated by the FAM probes added to the reaction).

Citation?

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Citation?

My work. It's what I do.

Edit. Sorry, being a bit facetious there. I do actually do real-time PCR in my work. I can't imagine a Ct threshold over 30 being used as the basis for a positive result. My guess would be 20-25 cycles at the very most and I would think that you would be able to see the reaction 'take-off' a good number of cycles before that.

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

So, I know nothing about this. Are Hennegan's criticism's not founded?

I don't know what has been said and I don't know on what basis a positive result is being given. All I can give is my opinion on real-time PCR as someone who uses it routinely.

17 hours ago, johnsusername said:

"A new study offers the first clear evidence that, in some people, the coronavirus invades brain cells, hijacking them to make copies of itself. The virus also seems to suck up all of the oxygen nearby, starving neighboring cells to death."

I mean, that doesn't sound great, to me. 

It's just a bad cold though...

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Hospitals in Birmingham reportedly filling up with patients too.

Shit. This last couple of days has got a real feel of march to it. We've just got to hope people's caution helps keep it suppressed after everyone going mad in August on eat out and all that. And I suppose at least hospitals aren't turfing people out into care homes. 

Today's figures aren't great, 3500+ new infections- https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

image.png

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Shit. This last couple of days has got a real feel of march to it. We've just got to hope people's caution helps keep it suppressed after everyone going mad in August on eat out and all that. And I suppose at least hospitals aren't turfing people out into care homes. 

Yep, getting a bit worried now.

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Today's figures aren't great, 3500+ new infections- https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

image.png

Yep, getting a bit worried now.

Yeah, me too. Without coming over all @Spy Bee I was thinking with people's general cautiousness , still tons of people working from home, masks and even stuff like you must have a table in the pub would perhaps keep it all under control enough. But either the August eat out or the kids going back to school or maybe even a bit of both, it seems to have just tipped us over the edge. This vaccine can't come soon enough. But what do we do? We really need the kids in school, it's good for them to be with other kids and we can't want them to lose any more education. I wonder if we'll end up shutting the pubs and restaurants again. So we'll effectively be back on lockdown but with schools. What's sure, we can't allow to happen what happened in march again. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, me too. Without coming over all @Spy Bee I was thinking with people's general cautiousness , still tons of people working from home, masks and even stuff like you must have a table in the pub would perhaps keep it all under control enough. But either the August eat out or the kids going back to school or maybe even a bit of both, it seems to have just tipped us over the edge. This vaccine can't come soon enough. But what do we do? We really need the kids in school, it's good for them to be with other kids and we can't want them to lose any more education. I wonder if we'll end up shutting the pubs and restaurants again. So we'll effectively be back on lockdown but with schools. What's sure, we can't allow to happen what happened in march again. 

I went in my local for the charity shield game and apart from one part of the pub that has 3 tables, the rest of the pub were very fucking far from socially distancing. Apart from not drinking at the bar it was business as usual. Hugging each other, shouting etc. This second spike is as much down to peoples ignorance as it is the tories telling everyone to get out and do the fucking fandango.