You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

30 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Just spoke to a friend who works in education in Liverpool. Apparently, there's already been 10 or so teachers and staff members who've contracted coronavirus in the few days that the kids have been back in school, or in the build up to that. 

Bound to happen, thing is, what are people supposed to do about it? Close the school? Then parents are gonna kick off their kids are behind come exam time.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

It's probably a mixture of things.

The virus is maybe becoming less severe.

Plus as I've said previously, the hospital's didn't have a fucking clue what they were doing early doors.

It's more to do with numbers. When hospitals were getting busier there were between 30,000 and 100,000 infections per day. Now it's between 1,000 and 2,500. It's under control but it could easily get out of control again if measures aren't put in place when appropriate.

If we start seeing 10,000+ infections per day, that's when hospital numbers would be noticeable.

52 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

BBC News - Coronavirus: Tests 'could be picking up dead virus'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54000629

I'm kind of baffled as to why we're getting so many updates about numbers anyway, it goes back to what I said higher up about damage to people's mental health.

Imagine if it was the flu? "A teacher has tested positive for flu. Dwayne the rock johnson has tested positive for flu and has warned that it's  "no joke", New Zealand has had its first flu cases in four weeks."

Yeah okay I get it, what do you expect me to do about it save kill myself?

At least in crises gone by we only had the news at 10, no 24 hour 'news', clickbait articles throwing out lines from non peer reviewed papers, social media disinformation, and loose women. If it was like this in the war we'd have ended up doing Hitler's work for him.

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'm kind of baffled as to why we're getting so many updates about numbers anyway, it goes back to what I said higher up about damage to people's mental health.

Imagine if it was the flu? "A teacher has tested positive for flu. Dwayne the rock johnson has tested positive for flu and has warned that it's  "no joke", New Zealand has had its first flu cases in four weeks."

At least in crises gone by we only had the news at 10, no 24 hour 'news', clickbait articles throwing out lines from non peer reviewed papers, social media disinformation, and loose women. If it was like this in the war we'd have ended up doing Hitler's work for him.

I disagree. Look at the Iraq wars. 24 hour news coverage from both sides of the front and at the front also. CNN, Sky news, Al-Jazeerah, france 24 even rte here in Ireland has a 24 hours rolling news channel. They all have to fill it with something and like it or not yes it does have a huge impact on your life. Flu doesn’t have the same impact on your life, the government doesn’t put similar restrictions on movement etc because of the flu. Go and look at the ff, rolling updates on all possible and impossible permutations of what player move where, what money impact it has etc. clickbait and trolling articles by anonymous sources close to player x say blah. All these updates are just what happens in our society today, not specific to the pandemic itself. 

As for whether the overall impact is going to be bigger for mental health than for the people dying from the disease, i guess that is something that will have to be weighed up when we look at how this whole thing was handled afterwards. Some people believe one will have had a bigger impact than the other, but I don’t think you can judge that yet. I guess for now you chose what has the biggest impact on you and the ones you know. 

29 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Are you actually complaining about the government giving out information? And it isn't the 'flu, so stop it.

37 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's worth bearing in mind that someone who has the virus is now vulnerable to anything from a sore throat all the way through to respiratory/heart/organ failure. Just because someone hasn't died from it, they may still have life changing conditions as a result.

Someone said before that HIV/AIDS doesn't kill anything like as many people. True. But you still wouldn't want to get it as the effects can also be pretty wide ranging.

I still have respect for this virus and am remaining vigilant, even though I am now trying to return to some level of normality. I still want to know the information that's out there and decide for myself what is accurate and what isn't.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

This is how statism works. The government are actively trying to scare the shit out of you, to convince you that you need the big, brave government to tell you what to do. Don't worry, the government will save you from the scary disease that is killing about 3 people a day. All you need to do is check in at the door every precious freedom won over centuries of struggle. 

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

Are you actually complaining about the government giving out information? And it isn't the 'flu, so stop it.

No and no, but I thoght that was pretty obvious to be fair.

I'm talking about what does it achieve, unless it's to justify a local lockdown where you live.

"There's a virus, we're testing loads of people and finding cases of virus." 

"Cool, what are my instructions?"

"Nothing, just saying."

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

No and no, but I thoght that was pretty obvious to be fair.

I'm talking about what does it achieve, unless it's to justify a local lockdown where you live.

"There's a virus, we're testing loads of people and finding cases of virus." 

"Cool, what are my instructions?"

"Nothing, just saying."

But the alternative would be not to publish the figures, which would be far worse and would lead to an even greater breakdown in trust. We'd be getting lockdown instructions for various places with no info as to why they're being locked down, and the conspiracy theorists would be having a field day with the death figures.

Last week, Sturgeon re-introduced more stringent measures for various places in central Scotland due to spikes in figures- looking at the numbers and the trend, you can instantly see why. If that had happened out of the blue I doubt people would have taken it seriously. Also, the government have been producing weekly 'flu reports for years, I don't see why this should be any different- https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/weekly-national-flu-reports-2019-to-2020-season

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/sep/04/teachers-tell-parents-in-england-to-ignore-baseless-letters-on-face-masks

Christ, I can just imagine the self-righteous, sharp-elbowed Facebook Karens sending these letters in after seeing posts by their moronic mates.

What a country we live in. 

41 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

What a country we live in. 

It's the world, well the West really. Everything's couched in terms of 'rights' rather than responsibilities, and people are egged on by libertarian Twitter trolls, conspiracy theorists and Mail hacks having meltdowns about mild inconveniences.

• Upvote 1