You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

On the vaccine, I had my first flu vaccine last winter, no bad reaction to it. I can get it through work which is handy. Got my son to have all his vaccinations.

However I shall read everything I can about this one as I would be worried it had been ‘rushed’. We shall see.

1 hour ago, suzy said:

On the vaccine, I had my first flu vaccine last winter, no bad reaction to it. I can get it through work which is handy. Got my son to have all his vaccinations.

However I shall read everything I can about this one as I would be worried it had been ‘rushed’. We shall see.

It won't be rushed over here, or in the States probably, too much potential for getting sued. I suspect the next generation of Russians though will all have two heads. 

On 30/08/2020 at 19:34, Sugar Ape said:

France is looking in a bad way, maybe even worse than Spain now. 

The y-axis on that graph is a bit disingenuous. Compared to the peak the increase in hospitilisations from July is no where near as bad as it looks there.

2 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

Hopefully some good news ;  "Widely available steroids reduce mortality in severely ill COVID-19 patients, research finds" https://twitter.com/i/events/1301170636253876225?s=09

Grr. When the lockdown first started, I had to get a course of steroids for my RA and was told I'd be on the vulnerable list and had to isolate. Fucking things would have turned me into Superman instead.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Grr. When the lockdown first started, I had to get a course of steroids for my RA and was told I'd be on the vulnerable list and had to isolate. Fucking things would have turned me into Superman instead.

Woman in work's husband the same, he's on roids and immuno suppressants and he was saying even back in March that he'd read they'd be useful for combating this type of disease, as the feeling was it was the the body's immune response that was killing people not the virus itself. 

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Woman in work's husband the same, he's on roids and immuno suppressants and he was saying even back in March that he'd read they'd be useful for combating this type of disease, as the feeling was it was the the body's immune response that was killing people not the virus itself. 

Yeah, cytokine storm was supposed to occur in a lot of deaths. I take Methotrexate as an immuno-suppressant, about time that muck was good for something...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

The late great robbief from these parts must be immune to the virus if that's the case 

Beef will be like that baboon in outbreak, Dustin Hoffman will have tubes in his neck as we speak, and when the crisis is over every world leader will be queuing up to give him a hand job, and rightly so.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tj hooker said:

Hopefully some good news ;  "Widely available steroids reduce mortality in severely ill COVID-19 patients, research finds" https://twitter.com/i/events/1301170636253876225?s=09

This has been talked about before, here's a discussion on it. It seems as though cykotine storms can vary...

13 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I see Twat Hancock has announced  £500m of funding to find a 20 minute Covid test and research looking into the benefits of repeated testing.

Be interesting to see where the money ends up.

You'd think it would be overseen by the NHS and local authorities. In reality, it'll be Serco and Capita 'running' it. Some no mark company just set up by a friend of Cummings will supply the kits- it'll cost twice the price as they won't go to an EU supplier and 75% of the kits will be duds.

@Dougie Do'ins from the BBC ... The Southampton on is the one I was thinking about. 

A community-wide trial of rapid, saliva-based tests for coronavirus has been launched in Salford.

The health secretary announced £500m of funding for trials of a 20-minute test.

The trial will assess the benefits of repeated population testing. It comes as the government says areas with fewer cases will reduce testing capacity .

Trials in Southampton and Hampshire will also be expanded and demand for testing is expected to rise with the return to schools and work places.

'fast and accurate'

"Over the past six months we have built one of the biggest testing systems in the world," Mr Hancock said.

"We need to use every new innovation at our disposal to expand the use of testing, and build the mass testing capability that can help suppress the virus.

"We are backing innovative new tests that are fast, accurate and easier to use [that] will maximise the impact and scale of testing, helping us to get back to a more normal way of life."

Salford City Council and other local partners will be involved in the saliva-based testing, the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) said.

Selected participants will be invited for a weekly test in the pilot, with up to 250 tests conducted a day.

It will start in high footfall areas such as retail areas, public services, transport and faith spaces.

The test aims to identify positive cases early on, including asymptomatic patients or those with minor symptoms, so that people can self-isolate promptly.

It will also indicate how regular repeat community testing could be scaled up across the country.

Earlier detection

In Southampton, the second phase of a no-swab saliva test pilot is due to begin this week with a weekly testing model trialled of more than 2,100 pupils and staff across four schools, as well as students and staff at the University of Southampton which is leading the project in partnership with Southampton City Council and the NHS.

The DHSC said the pilot of a rapid 20-minute coronavirus test in Hampshire would be expanded "to further explore... mobile testing in different settings".

The investment will also be used to extend capacity for existing polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing.

Baroness Dido Harding, interim executive chair of the National Institute for Health Protection said: "New testing technologies and methods are vital to keep the system evolving and improving, especially as we assess how routine testing could help pick up cases of the virus earlier."