You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Well, to the surprise of everyone I’m sure, it looks like ex Ophthalmologist James Todaro, MD might not have been quoting ‘facts’ after all. 

But then, what does this guy know? He’s only a virologist who helped author the papers he quoted. 

• Upvote 3

I don't think the russians technically have the first vaccine do they? They say they've approved it but not carried out the phase three trials and won't be rolling it out in large numbers until they do, that's pretty much the stage a few others are in.

It's like saying you've built the world's first functioning car but haven't driven it yet and have no plans to do so for a good while, but you've still definitely built it first and that's all that matters.

I don't know what to think of the russians on this one. They've got form for over egging the pudding when it comes to stuff like this, they said they had developed a neural net anti aircraft gun a couple of years back (like skynet) but it looked suspiciously like an ordinary gun. They also said they had a missile that went 20 times the speed of sound or something, but 'demonstrated' it via a Dire Straits era computer video. 

That being said, I imagine they've still got a few boffins who know their way around biological agents.

7 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Well, to the surprise of everyone I’m sure, it looks like ex Ophthalmologist James Todaro, MD might not have been quoting ‘facts’ after all. 

But then, what does this guy know? He’s only a virologist who helped author the papers he quoted. 

Who was it sharing his stuff again? 

Just now, Section_31 said:

I don't think the russians technically have the first vaccine do they? They say they've approved it but not carried out the phase three trials and won't be rolling it out in large numbers until they do, that's pretty much the stage a few others are in.

It's like saying you've built the world's first functioning car but haven't driven it yet and have no plans to do so for a good while, but you've still definitely built it first and that's all that matters.

I don't know what to think of the russians on this one. They've got form for over egging the pudding when it comes to stuff like this, they said they had developed a neural net anti aircraft gun a couple of years back (like skynet) but it looked suspiciously like an ordinary gun. They also said they had a missile that went 20 times the speed of sound or something, but 'demonstrated' it via a Dire Straits era computer video. 

That being said, I imagine they've still got a few boffins who know their way around biological agents.

It wouldn't surprise me if their is already a vaccine and they are all too busy fighting over how to make money off it rather than saving lives 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It wouldn't surprise me if their is already a vaccine and they are all too busy fighting over how to make money off it rather than saving lives 

I might try and flog some blag russian ones on ebay or down the market.

"Sputnik 5, get your sputnik 5 here, one for a fiver or three for a tenner. Yuri never gonna believe how fast they work. Come on now lads and girls send your survival chances into orbit."

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

That's a good thread and clears a few things up. What he doesn't address is the semantics around the term herd immunity. There is the kind of immunity where nobody can get it, and then there is the kind of immunity where nobody is severely affected by it. I think we're clearly close to the latter, if not the former. How else do you explain London, Sweden et al?

Guest Pistonbroke

Schools in our region started back today after the summer holidays. Kids have to wear masks during class but get a 10 minute break after every 45 minutes where they can mingle in the school grounds without the mask. Not sure how that is going to help things and renders them wearing a mask during lessons absolutely pointless. Kids will be kids and they'll just fuck about in the breaks and get too close to each other. If the temperatures get over 29°C then they will also be sent home after the first three classes, so about 11.30. The public transport which they have to use on a morning to get to school (they start at 7:50 AM here) was crammed with school kids and workers, absolutely fuck all thought has gone into that. 

His last tweet was interesting:

T cells generally don’t completely prevent infections, they limit disease (make it shorter and/or less serious). Thus, wearing a mask is much more effective than hoping you and the people around you have pre-existing T cell memory. Wearing a mask stops infections.

18 minutes ago, mattyq said:

T cells generally don’t completely prevent infections, they limit disease (make it shorter and/or less serious). Thus, wearing a mask is much more effective than hoping you and the people around you have pre-existing T cell memory. Wearing a mask stops infections.

Just don't show @Stront19m Dog™

2 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

That's a good thread and clears a few things up. What he doesn't address is the semantics around the term herd immunity. There is the kind of immunity where nobody can get it, and then there is the kind of immunity where nobody is severely affected by it. I think we're clearly close to the latter, if not the former. How else do you explain London, Sweden et al?

A few weeks ago you could have said look at Spain and France, cases have come right down there. Now they’re clearly trending up again, they might level off or they might not. Who knows what the reasons are? None of us here are experts and even the experts themselves don’t seem to know. Maybe there is a seasonality to it, maybe the voluntary social distancing measures and more people working from home and wearing masks and stuff in places like London and Sweden are having an effect. Maybe it’s none of that are you’re right and they’re approaching herd immunity. It’s all just speculation. 

In two weeks time London or Sweden could be rising again, the point for me is that no one really knows because it’s a novel virus and there are still loads of things we simply don’t know. And while we don’t know we should proceed with extreme caution and not rely on ‘theories’. 

You asked yesterday I think what people have against Sikora, and I’ve gone over it multiple times in this thread already (Including giving detailed examples of when he’s called things wrong) so can’t be arsed getting into it again really but bottom line is Sikora and this Todaro jamook have absolutely no expertise in infectious diseases and I’d no more listen to what their opinion is than I would let a podiatrist advise me on heart surgery. I just find it endlessly fascinating how people will ignore actual epidemiologists but believe people like them. The guy I posted the tweets from seems pretty on the ball and keen to stress everything they think MAY be the case is all subject to further research. 

In addition, I don’t think you can separate the man from his views. I’d view anything Farage said on any subject with suspicion because he’s a right wing cunt and the same applies to Sikora and Todaro, MD.

He’s spent his life attacking the NHS (your regular reminder he called the NHS the last bastion of communism) and shilling for the Republican Party in the States. Anything he says should absolutely be viewed with that in mind and treated with suspicion, in my opinion. If you want to see things differently with him that’s obviously fine and your choice. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The UK and Sweden are among the highest death rates in the world - both with gubmints that have been exposed for cooking their books and among the very few in the world who have stopped publishing certain figures - what are we talking about?

Would you let a chiropractor perform brain surgery on you?

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

A few weeks ago you could have said look at Spain and France, cases have come right down there. Now they’re clearly trending up again, they might level off or they might not. Who knows what the reasons are? None of us here are experts and even the experts themselves don’t seem to know. Maybe there is a seasonality to it, maybe the voluntary social distancing measures and more people working from home and wearing masks and stuff in places like London and Sweden are having an effect. Maybe it’s none of that are you’re right and they’re approaching herd immunity. It’s all just speculation. 

In two weeks time London or Sweden could be rising again, the point for me is that no one really knows because it’s a novel virus and there are still loads of things we simply don’t know. And while we don’t know we should proceed with extreme caution and not rely on ‘theories’. 

You asked yesterday I think what people have against Sikora, and I’ve gone over it multiple times in this thread already (Including giving detailed examples of when he’s called things wrong) so can’t be arsed getting into it again really but bottom line is Sikora and this Todaro jamook have absolutely no expertise in infectious diseases and I’d no more listen to what their opinion is than I would let a podiatrist advise me on heart surgery. I just find it endlessly fascinating how people will ignore actual epidemiologists but believe people like them. The guy I posted the tweets from seems pretty on the ball and keen to stress everything they think MAY be the case is all subject to further research. 

In addition, I don’t think you can separate the man from his views. I’d view anything Farage said on any subject with suspicion because he’s a right wing cunt and the same applies to Sikora and Todaro, MD.

He’s spent his life attacking the NHS (your regular reminder he called the NHS the last bastion of communism) and shilling for the Republican Party in the States. Anything he says should absolutely be viewed with that in mind and treated with suspicion, in my opinion. If you want to see things differently with him that’s obviously fine and your choice. 

Apart from a PHD in immunology?

As for not separating the man from his views, you really need to see past that. Deal with the subject matter at hand. I absolutely fucking hate people playing the man, not the ball.

2 hours ago, mattyq said:

No shit 

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Apart from a PHD in immunology?

As for not separating the man from his views, you really need to see past that. Deal with the subject matter at hand. I absolutely fucking hate people playing the man, not the ball.

He’s an oncologist. Do you think he’s an expert on viruses? I think I’ll look for the views of actual epidemiologists who work with viruses thanks. 

And no, I won’t see past his views. It’s utter bullshit all this playing the man, not the ball stuff. What he says absolutely should be viewed In the context of who he is and what biases he has. 

Bottom line is he’s not an expert in this and he’s got a long history of espousing right wing views. I don’t know why anyone would listen to a word he says, but like I said if you like what he says and thinks he’s on the ball that’s up to you. But I’ve got no obligation to ignore who and what he is, same as I wouldn’t with loads of people like Trump or Kelvin Mackenzie or whoever.

• Upvote 4

I would deal with the facts of the matter. Katie Hopkins is an absolute bellend, but I heard something she had said the other day and I agreed with 80& of it. It doesn't mean I like her, what she stands for or any of her other views. This fucking cancel culture is bullshit & people really need to grow the fuck up.

You do know that immunology is the study of the immune system, right?

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

I would deal with the facts of the matter. Katie Hopkins is an absolute bellend, but I heard something she had said the other day and I agreed with 80& of it. It doesn't mean I like her, what she stands for or any of her other views. This fucking cancel culture is bullshit & people really need to grow the fuck up.

You do know that immunology is the study of the immune system, right?

Masks help prevent the spread of viruses. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

In certain situations and circumstances that is proven.

To be fair his post says 'help prevent' rather than 'prevents'.

And the whole 'fake news' that Trump has started really has started waving through the population - the fact he says it about anything that doesn't suit his agenda is reason why the cancel culture exists. That doesn't mean to say that everything that people say has merit, it just means you have to check it yourself before you adopt it as your truth.