You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If they wear a condom they'll be fine.

As long as it's over their faces.

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

If they wear a condom they'll be fine.

As long as it's over their faces.

I always want to 'know my enemy' just so I understand their position, so I tried reading the forums and, honestly, it's baffling how stupid some of the ideas and comments are, yet they are convinced they are right.

If you fancy a chuckle have a read, it's genuinely mad.

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If it makes you feel better three times as many folks died just in Florida yesterday than in your entire bleedin country.

Though in the words of the immortal Fernando Lamas - It is better to look good than to feel good.

The scary thing is that the death rate per million in Florida and the US as a whole is still nowhere near the rates for New York and New Jersey- https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

8 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The scary thing is that the death rate per million in Florida and the US as a whole is still nowhere near the rates for New York and New Jerseyhttps://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

They are not close to the UK either - tbh I don't think any State here will ever match those two.

That said the current NY 7 day average is 9

My work has extended working from home until November, at least. As we're a tech company, and they're American, there is also a sliver of hope that I could switch to remote permanently. The trend seems to be going that way and the narrative so far had been that the CEO has been both surprised and impressed at the companies performance during the fully remote period.

Who knew not having to slog through traffic 2hrs a day and make bullshit small talk would lead to an increase in productivity. Sure, it's not for everyone, but if you can do it, like it, and perform, there's no argument for making you commute anymore IMO.

• Upvote 3

From the Guardian...

But here was another example of the idea – indicative of the reflexive Tory belief that we are at heart a nation of idlers, and lately voiced by such fans of the work ethic as Iain Duncan Smith and Kirstie Allsopp – that we might be able to return to the pre-Covid world by a sheer act of collective will.

The truth, of course, is that making that argument in the midst of such a grave crisis is not just cruel and condescending, but a denial of huge changes to working lives that might turn out to be a lasting social shift. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/09/work-britain-industries-jobs-tory-manufacturing-investment

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

Wasn't it inevitable that cases would start to rise again once we reopened things up?

No, I don't think it was inevitable. We still have strong social distancing measures and many, many people are still either working from home or on furlough. And had the government had effective track and trace, this should be a major tool in finding asymptomatic people and quarantining them, helping keep the R rate below 1. So while things are looser than our full lockdown, it's still very fucking far from normal life. For me.its absolutely no coincidence this is happening at a time tracking figures on test and trace are getting worse. 

I used to work in a call centre in Mumbai. We had numerous crackers over the time I was there, but the two that come to mind is one operator saying to a customer "Oh, I am very sorry to hear that your husband has expired!" and my very favourite one went like this:

Operator "And what type of car does your husband drive?"

Customer "He has a hatchback"

Operator "Oh I am sorry to hear that. And what car does he drive?"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

15 hours ago, The Gaul said:

This is pretty sobering news, especially as I assume weekend figures are still reporting lower. 

Screenshot_20200809-175559.jpg

The test positive rate has risen slightly - to 0.61% - from 0.60% this time last week. The WHO say anything under 5% means that the virus is under control.

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I used to work in a call centre in Mumbai. We had numerous crackers over the time I was there, but the two that come to mind is one operator saying to a customer "Oh, I am very sorry to hear that your husband has expired!" and my very favourite one went like this:

The hatchback of Notre Dame.

14 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Class. We had one where her husband had died, she told the call centre operator he was 'deceased' to which she replied this wan't a real word. So she just said 'look, he's fucking dead'. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Class. We had one where her husband had died, she told the call centre operator he was 'deceased' to which she replied this wan't a real word. So she just said 'look, he's fucking dead'. 

We had Indian Underwriters working for one of the companies I used to contract for - on a medical report it stated that one particular gentleman had been 'bitten by Jack Russell' - our Indian friend wrote back to the doctor with the following question - 'Who is this man Jack Russell, and why did he bite our Client?' 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

RIP Big Pharma's profit margins 

Ironic that a post with the word 'evidence' has been posted and the one thing it lacks is evidence. 

4 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

You should try reading the whole thread rather than just the first post.

I would if it was posted where I could read it. 

Hmmm. 

Thanks to that Sikora loon. Double hmmm. 

Coincidentally, he also seems like a right wing nut. Think I’ll wait until someone credible provides actual evidence before believing an Oncologist and a former Physician. 

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/aug/2/dr-james-todaro-launches-medicine-uncensored-after/

3AE9C2D8-A868-4F67-9B8E-2AF8CAF9B829.png

B7570223-F3BF-45AE-BF4E-6B1B9A6DA33A.png

• Upvote 3