You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why have the pubs got to be shut so schools can open whats the link between the two.

There isn't a direct link. But I believe what whitty said is some of the evidence is pointing to we may have relaxed lockdown as far as we can and if we wish to unlock things currently not open (such as schools) we may need to trade something in for that that we've already opened. The government have insisted schools will open no matter what, to which the natural conclusion has been they'll shut the pubs - he may have even mentioned pubs in the same statement. 

Personally I think it's all bluster and they've absolutely no intention of nationally shutting anything again, but they will on local levels. 

I know for a fact that 2 of the largest Legal companies are looking to offload a most of  their office space. 

A lot will be moving out of the high cost centres... the City will deffo suffer and Liverpool might gain a little.

Haven't heard about any significant out-sourcing although Brexit will have an impact. Business will and has gone from the UK to Amsterdam, Dublin, Frankfurt etc

1 minute ago, mattyq said:

I know for a fact that 2 of the largest Legal companies are looking to offload a most of  their office space. 

A lot will be moving out of the high cost centres... the City will deffo suffer and Liverpool might gain a little.

Haven't heard about any significant out-sourcing although Brexit will have an impact. Business will and has gone from the UK to Amsterdam, Dublin, Frankfurt etc

I don't think it will be out sourcing, it will be simple off shoring. They will still have employees, there will be just a greater willingness to recruit them from a bedroom in Bangalore. 

Brexit will 100% have an impact. 

Just now, The Gaul said:

I don't think it will be out sourcing, it will be simple off shoring. They will still have employees, there will be just a greater willingness to recruit them from a bedroom in Bangalore. 

Brexit will 100% have an impact. 

Said this before but people don't realise how terrible Brexit will be

I agree with your general point but not sure of the legal implications for off shoring.

Won't be a problem for the large Multi-Nationals but for smaller companies there will be HR/Employment issues which will make it riskier and so more expensive

1 hour ago, The Gaul said:

Personally I think it's all bluster and they've absolutely no intention of nationally shutting anything again, but they will on local levels. 

As long as the death rate keeps at the levels we're seeing now there's no way we're going back to full lock down. As you say, it's all bluster.

What's the latest on the death rates ? I keep reading about infections increasing but the death rate doesn't seem to be in tandem with how it was when we were first in the grip of the pandemic. 

Newsnight was an interesting watch on Wednesday. They were questioning the reliability of tests. One of the doctors they were talking to couldn't explain why hospitalisations are so low 

Watch from 6 mins 20 seconds in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lk7m/newsnight-05082020

Personally I think it’s just the demographics of the people getting infected at the minute. 

Until recently people were still shielding (and a lot still are no doubt) and they seem to have got it under control in care homes. We’re seeing in a lot of European countries it’s younger people driving the infections now and I think that’s the same over here, and young people are obviously at much less risk from this disease. 

As shielding and vulnerable people go back to work and visit pubs, restaurants etc... we could see a spike in deaths from that group but it takes weeks between infections and deaths so any increase amongst them won’t be seen until September, if it happens at all.

I don’t think we’ll go back to April levels though because even though people are saying we’ve lifted lockdown etc... the truth is we still have a lot of restrictions, a lot of people wearing masks and following social distancing, a ban on large crowds at sporting events, concerts and the like so that will help keep cases lower. 

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

the truth is we still have a lot of restrictions, a lot of people wearing masks and following social distancing, a ban on large crowds at sporting events, concerts and the like so that will help keep cases lower. 

Be interesting to see how those effect influenza deaths this year. You would think they will drop considerably.

7 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Based over what period ?

I've just looked at this and over the last seven days (2nd to 8th) the average daily is 56

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

7 day average is based over 7 days - this is the best place to look I think:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

August 4th one says 8, the other says 89.

Edit: they seem to be a day out of sync. One says August 4th 89, the other says August 5th 89.

Just now, Dougie Do'ins said:

TBH, I just used the google one as I don't see why they'd want to skew the numbers. So is it 8, 89 or is there just no reliable sauce ?

I edited my previous post as once source said 4th August was 89, the other said August 5th was 89.

2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

OK. So are the google figures I used reliable ?

They do look very similar, as @Mudface says @TheHowieLama may have been referencing cases rather than deaths but he would need to clarify that.

Edit: looking at all three sources provided by @Dougie Do'ins, @TheHowieLama and @Mudface they are all pretty much the same. I just think @Dougie Do'ins quoted figures are 24 hours off.

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

That's the number of deaths, Howie's figures were for number of infections.

4 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

TBH, I just used the google one as I don't see why they'd want to skew the numbers. So is it 8, 89 or is there just no reliable sauce ?

Yea, soz about that, was talking about spikes on another thread - 56 is the number for 7 day average deaths

uk.PNG

2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

So all said and done, is the death rate lower than expected considering the reported spikes or are we just not seeing the knock on effect yet and the deaths are expected to rise ?

It's probably a combination of the demographics of the people now getting infected (as Sugar Ape pointed out, the most vulnerable have been shielding and care homes are on red alert), the time lag between getting it and dying (which would likely be a few weeks so might not have fully fed into the latest figures) plus better treatment as doctors have learned more about it.

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1