You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I think it's also important to think of the behavioural impact of wearing masks. I've read a couple of things that states their value is way beyond just stopping the spread of particles because the constant visual reminder that there is a threat keeps us focussed on things such as keeping distance, washing hands and not touching our mouths nose and eyes. One article I read quoting a report was saying that actually could have greater impact than the wearing of the masks themselves. 

So you're saying that it makes us conscious of every little thing we do, and so basically makes us less human, right?

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

The control arm was ‘standard practice’, which comprised mask use in a high proportion of participants. As such (without a no-mask control), the finding of a much higher rate of infection in the cloth mask arm could be interpreted as harm caused by cloth masks, efficacy of medical masks, or most likely a combination of both.

This is like pulling teeth. No one's arguing that the medical masks in the study aren't better than cloth masks, it'd be surprising if they weren't. The point is that they didn't have a no-mask control group so saying no masks are better than cloth masks is a real reach.

Also, to reiterate points I'm tired of making- the WHO recommends using 3 layer masks, exactly the ones cited as 'medical' masks in the study; plus the study was done on health care workers, who'd be working shifts in close proximity with infectious patients- not really comparable to doing your weekly shop.

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Also, to reiterate points I'm tired of making- the WHO recommends using 3 layer masks, exactly the ones cited as 'medical' masks in the study; plus the study was done on health care workers, who'd be working shifts in close proximity with infectious patients- not really comparable to doing your weekly shop.

So 3 ply or nothing then? Surely if you are enforcing masks usage, it has to be with something that works? 

Their finding was that without a no-mask group, the study still suggests that cloth masks could increase infection. It's in black and white, so I don't know what you're on about re pulling teeth. 

It's been funs, but I have to go now. Peace out.

12 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

My analogy was simply to illustrate that I don't necessarily think that a one-size fits all policy is the best for this. I think a bit of nuance is important. I really can't stand the deliberate removal of nuance.

Why say its sensible for someone with symptoms to wear a mask if you don't think masks should be worn by all??!

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

TBH, as I stated before it doesn't make sense to even discuss with some. Their reticence to do so has nothing to do with science - that is a deflection.

It is amazing the lengths some will go to try to justify the behavior. Strange really.

Quasi-religious

Revivalist primitive Church somewhere. Miracles, speaking in tongues, Jesus in a UFO

Taps noise

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Quasi-religious

Revivalist primitive Church somewhere. Miracles, speaking in tongues, Jesus in a UFO

Taps noise

Heckler - fuck all to say!

I am going, but just saw this article of yet more government https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/05/government-buying-90-minute-covid-tests-without-evidence-they-work?CMP=share_btn_link

6 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Heckler - fuck all to say!

I am going, but just saw this article of yet more government https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/05/government-buying-90-minute-covid-tests-without-evidence-they-work?CMP=share_btn_link

Why is the government buying Covid tests without evidence they work?

Because they don't give a fuck, it's all for show.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Spy Bee said:

You'd make a great preacher

Maybe a Faith Healer... hands on, that sort of stuff

By the Power of God I cast you out, Demon

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

So you're saying that it makes us conscious of every little thing we do, and so basically makes us less human, right?

Well you could claim wearing clothes makes us less human if that's the way your brain works. I would prefer to think it makes us very human and reminds us constantly that humans are imperfect beasts. We do many many things for the benefit of society, wearing clothes as I mention, but using toilets, our habits while eating, I could keep going. We are part of a civilised society and not a bunch of wild animals. Sometimes the rules of civilised society alter. In our lifetime that's mostly meant a relaxing of the rules, but on occasion for the benefit of all mankind we do things for the benefit of all and tighten our societal rules. 

2 hours ago, Jenson said:

Like the look of them but £27.95 shipping to the UK?!!

I got bitten by that but I ordered 5  as I am pretty confident they will come in useful for my work. If it helps me, it's worth it.

But yeah, £27.95 seems a bit lumpy.

Edit: I'm hoping they turn up in a fully equipped horse and carriage on a red cushion with trumpets blaring out down the road announcing their arrival.

6 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Why is the government buying Covid tests without evidence they work?

Because they don't give a fuck, it's all for show.

They’re just looking for a magic bullet that will convince everyone to go back to the office and carry on as we were before the virus came along. 

Some fella on the Radio then complaining abut not being able to run the marathon after training all year for it. The level of selfishness and arrogance of some people blows my mind. People have lost loved ones and not even been able to say goodbye to them. It's these cunts who need fucking off. "I'm alright jack as long as you don't rock my boat" types. 

19 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Some fella on the Radio then complaining abut not being able to run the marathon after training all year for it. The level of selfishness and arrogance of some people blows my mind. People have lost loved ones and not even been able to say goodbye to them. It's these cunts who need fucking off. "I'm alright jack as long as you don't rock my boat" types. 

I think it's pretty understandable people want stuff back in their lives, be that watching sport, theatre, cinema, going to the pub, weddings, funerals and everything else that goes in life including running marathons. Although it does occur to me he is one of the luckier people, I don't really see why he needs someone to organise an event for him to run 26 miles. The problem is when you start relaxing some stuff in society, it's pretty tough to get your head around when you are being stopped, yet others are not. I'm far more worried about selfish people who aren't adhering to whatever rules we have left than I am about someone moaning he can't run a marathon. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Complaining or sharing his experience?

I think anyone complaining about things being cancelled and suggesting they should not have been are definitely selfish so and sos.

But I don't think anyone is selfish for talking about stuff and getting it off their chest.

If the ** (which gets talked about in the other forum) had been cancelled I'm sure many thousands of *** supporters would have expressed their disappointment.

6 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I think as soon as you see "this might be faked" it should stop you pressing play. This is the problem with social media, people share any old shite they've no idea where it came from. 

Agreed , it subconsciously plants a seed in your head that you may be walking around with a back-scratcher in your mask

14 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I think as soon as you see "this might be faked" it should stop you pressing play. This is the problem with social media, people share any old shite they've no idea where it came from. 

Having a profile called strictly Black Lives Matter but a profile pic that looks like the Milkybar Kid was the biggest red flag to me.