You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

15 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Well yeah, totally. The only study I am aware of on cloths masks says that they increase infection. Even the use of correct masks could be questionable just on the way they are used alone. Is someone really going to change them every few hours, or at the first sign of dampness?

What about the meta studies I linked to earlier in the thread, have you had time to read them yet?

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, please stop talking to him about it.

He doesn't know anyone who has ever had it, doesn't believe he would catch it if he did - and if he did doesn' think it would affect him. Doesn't care if his actions might prevent someone else from getting it.

Thems da facts, like it or not. They've not changed.

The bit in bold is not a fact, it is your opinion, and it is factually incorrect.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, please stop talking to him about it.

He doesn't know anyone who has ever had it, doesn't believe he would catch it if he did - and if he did doesn' think it would affect him. Doesn't care if his actions might prevent someone else from getting it.

Thems da facts, like it or not. They've not changed.

If he was having a go at the government for their piss poor handling of COVID-19, if he was accepting the mixed messages from government were because they’re fucking corrupt cunts and are putting the economy above people’s health, if he was accepting he might have just been a tad little bit wrong about COVID-19 being no worse than the flu I wouldn’t have bothered posting. 

But when he deliberately pretends he can’t understand why there are risk assessments across hospitals stating some procedures require a standard face mask, some require a fluid resistant face mask and

others require a face mask and shield then he’s just deliberately being fucking obtuse and making himself look a twat. 

Just now, lifetime fan said:

But when he deliberately pretends he can’t understand why there are risk assessments across hospitals stating some procedures require a standard face mask, some require a fluid resistant face mask and

others require a face mask and shield then he’s just deliberately being fucking obtuse and making himself look a twat. 

But the masks worn in public are nothing like any of those masks.

I'll shut up when someone shows me evidence that the commercially available face coverings actually do what they're supposed to. Until then...

1 minute ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'll shut up when someone shows me evidence that the commercially available face coverings actually do what they're supposed to. Until then...

Do your own test - put on a mask then sneeze. Take off the mask and have a look.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

So obvious that there's virtually no science to support it.

I am quite sure you are aware of the studies on masks. Also I understand your need to parse that information to suit you.

I don't care that you don't want to wear a mask mate, really I don't. It's your choice - the only thing we do know for sure is that choice certainly has nothing to do with science as there is definitely no proof that they do nothing.

17 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

The majority of the blue and white masks you see people wearing in public are the same standard masks used in hospitals. 

Then as risk increases so does the type of mask used ie fluid resistant. 

Please stop pretending you can’t understand this. 

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The majority of the blue and white masks you see people wearing in public are the same standard masks used in hospitals.

They're really not. Check the packaging, it'll tell you they're not certified for medical use.

They're also not being used by professionals who know how to use them, nor are they being used in a controlled environment.

33 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

You are allowed to use Google you know!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/

Ok so medically approved masks are better than the cloth masks. I mean fuck me, how much did they get paid to study that? I'm pretty sure your statement initially was that wearing a mask causes more infections than not wearing a mask.... I might be wrong. Let's check. 

If either of you bollock brains would like evidence that masks help then look at the deaths rates in Japan and South Korea (where they all wears masks even cloth ones) compared to the UK. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

You are allowed to use Google you know!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/

So, reading through that: they had a healthcare worker group wearing cloth masks, a group wearing 'medical' masks and a group which comprised of 37% medical, 8% cloth and the remainder a mixture of both. The result was there were more infections in the cloth mask only group. 

The obvious conclusion, right in the abstract, is that health care workers should wear medical masks. Nowhere does it say that wearing cloth masks is worse than no mask at all or that the general public shouldn't wear masks. Additionally, the cloth masks used in the study were 2 layer cotton masks, the medical ones were 3 layer- the WHO recommends three layer masks for public use.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Ok so medically approved masks are better than the cloth masks. I mean fuck me, how much did they get paid to study that? I'm pretty sure your statement initially was that wearing a mask causes more infections than not wearing a mask.... I might be wrong. Let's check. 

If either of you bollock brains would like evidence that masks help then look at the deaths rates in Japan and South Korea (where they all wears masks even cloth ones) compared to the UK. 

Ha, nearly a jinx.

7 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Actually I think you underestimate what science is. That is exactly what it is. Perform an experiment, look at the results. Perform it again, record the results. Keep going until you have enough statistics to provide a competent conclusion. 

Feel free to turn sneezing into your mask into a fully fledged experiment. I look forward to seeing the peer-reviewed results in a reputable journal.

Personally I will keep sneezing into a hanky, but whatever floats your boat.

1 minute ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Feel free to turn sneezing into your mask into a fully fledged experiment. I look forward to seeing the peer-reviewed results in a reputable journal.

I think you would opt to wear a mask in a lift with a Covid patient given the choice. 

9 minutes ago, A Red said:

This is a right riveting read, I find myself swaying one way and then the other

Yea, and I did exactly what I said not to. Which was to continue on.

I don't have conversations with Pro-Lifers about womens rights.

I don't have conversations with folks who own AR-15's about the Second Amendment.

I don't discuss the media with Trump supporters.

Cuz it is a waste of everyones time.

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think you would opt to wear a mask in a lift with a Covid patient given the choice. 

I don't think they work, so no, I wouldn't voluntarily opt to. However the law would probably compel me to anyway.

25 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Are you trying to claim every time someone sneazes they have time to get their hanky out? Also please make sure any evidence shows this covers both nose and mouth. Do you have evidence to back up this extordinary claim? While only anecdotal, I can with 100% confidence claim I have many a time sneazed unexpectedly and sometimes in public spaces. A mask for sure would have aided the decrease in the spread of the particles from my nose and mouth.