You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

How can there be such a thing as the "wrong kind of face masks" while all masks are simultaneously the right kind of face mask? Incredible levels of doublethink here.

Quite clearly the ones they were promised are not the ones that were delivered despite, you’d assume, clear guidance from one side and assurances from the other, no doublethink, just facts.

No other consideration needs to be made, so don’t defend the indefensible.

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Quite clearly the ones they were promised are not the ones that were delivered despite, you’d assume, clear guidance from one side and assurances from the other, no doublethink, just facts.

No other consideration needs to be made, so don’t defend the indefensible.

I don't think you got my point. We're told that we must wear face coverings in shops, and that they work, irrespective of what kind of face coverings they are. But these ones, presumably, don't work?

Struggling to understand how the masks would work in a shop, but not a hospital ward. 

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Because these are for the NHS.

Special pleading, cool.

2 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I don't think you got my point. We're told that we must wear face coverings in shops, and that they work, irrespective of what kind of face coverings they are. But these ones, presumably, don't work?

Struggling to understand how the masks would work in a shop, but not a hospital ward. 

Special pleading, cool.

Special pleading? They're continually in contact with potentially infectious patients, obviously they need higher grade equipment than you do for wandering around a shop.

17 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

How can there be such a thing as the "wrong kind of face masks" while all masks are simultaneously the right kind of face mask? Incredible levels of doublethink here.

Same as there are different types of parachute. Nice side-step by the way.

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Special pleading? They're continually in contact with potentially infectious patients, obviously they need higher grade equipment than you do for wandering around a shop.

Sounds like you're suggesting I'm not likely to come into contact with infectious people in a shop? But the entire case for face masks relies upon us being likely to come into contact with infectious people in a shop. What a pickle.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Great that we used a company with literally no history at all, let alone one of actually providing PPE, for securing face masks, rather than just using that joint procurement scheme because politically it looked bad.

Maybe they can get into the ferry business once the virus has fucked off. 

24 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Isn't that just very convenient. I will assume your answer suits my argument as opposed to your so thanks. Point proven. 

I live right near a Tesco Express and the vast majority wear one. 

Near me people are wearing them in the supermarkets but nobody’s bothering in the corner shops. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Special pleading, cool.

No, as you’re aware and moving away from, all covering are beneficial, that’s what the science, we’ll quite a lot of it is saying, but some more than others.

So these should have been the ones that helped most, but they have delivered the more than others type category. So they have failed to provide the required product and have failed to fulfil their contract. 

The fact that it’s an obscene amount of money, an illogical and shady supplier, a advisor of a government minster who holds the company  and one more in the catalogue of failure from this government is the issue not your obstinate refusal to engage in debate that doesn’t fit whatever pique you’re projecting today.

What you feel about masks is inconsequential. 

Just now, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Sounds like you're suggesting I'm not likely to come into contact with infectious people in a shop? But the entire case for face masks relies upon us being likely to come into contact with infectious people in a shop. What a pickle.

Ah, so you're just trolling. Again. You're not likely to spend 8 hours in close proximity to someone in a shop.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Well, I would agree with you that the messaging is all wrong on masks, but this is a separate issue for me. The use of masks in clinical environments is proven. In those kind of environments there are two kinds of masks commonly used. N95, which are supposed to be airtight and in order to be airtight, require two straps around the back of the head. These masks didn't have that. The other type of masks are EN14683 standard (either Type I, II, IR or IIR) and these need to be tested to reach that standard, and they weren't.

My gripe is that these contracts were handed to people with no knowledge on masks, and no qualifications to be providing these products, no company history and absolutely no suitability at all. These should have been sourced through existing channels, such as NHS Supplychain, SBS and other Frameworks. There was capacity, but instead they handed contracts to their mates, and no doubt everybody got their cut.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Ah, so you're just trolling. Again. You're not likely to spend 8 hours in close proximity to someone in a shop.

I'm not trolling, I'm pointing out what I feel are logical inconsistencies.

We're told we don't need to spend 8 hours next to someone to catch covid from them, aren't we?

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Well, I would agree with you that the messaging is all wrong on masks, but this is a separate issue for me. The use of masks in clinical environments is proven. In those kind of environments there are two kinds of masks commonly used. N95, which are supposed to be airtight and in order to be airtight, require two straps around the back of the head. These masks didn't have that. The other type of masks are EN14683 standard (either Type I, II, IR or IIR) and these need to be tested to reach that standard, and they weren't.

My gripe is that these contracts were handed to people with no knowledge on masks, and no qualifications to be providing these products, no company history and absolutely no suitability at all. These should have been sourced through existing channels, such as NHS Supplychain, SBS and other Frameworks. There was capacity, but instead they handed contracts to their mates, and no doubt everybody got their cut.

It is a separate issue, yes, but I think wider points can be made from it.

I completely agree that medical-grade masks in a controlled environment work, and that if a company fails to supply equipment which meets the grade, there should be consequences.

My gripe is that this substandard equipment is deemed good enough for people to wear when they're out and about. Does this substandard equipment work or doesn't it? I don't buy the Schrodinger's Mask argument.

10 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

We're told we don't need to spend 8 hours next to someone to catch covid from them, aren't we?

Yeah OK, Spock.

If you're going to the shop, you wear a face mask, it'll reduce your chances of infecting someone or getting infected. You don't need top quality PPE as your exposure is likely to be low and not sustained, but it's a good idea to wear one to reduce the chances still further. 

If you're working in a healthcare environment, then you may be exposed continually to infectious patients who possibly aren't wearing masks and equally may be working with vulnerable patients at risk of infection from yourself. Either way, you're far more likely to be in prolonged contact.

25 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Come on, you are embarrassing yourself here Stronts.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

My gripe is that this substandard equipment is deemed good enough for people to wear when they're out and about. Does this substandard equipment work or doesn't it? I don't buy the Schrodinger's Mask argument.

Well yeah, totally. The only study I am aware of on cloths masks says that they increase infection. Even the use of correct masks could be questionable just on the way they are used alone. Is someone really going to change them every few hours, or at the first sign of dampness?

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Well yeah, totally. The only study I am aware of on cloths masks says that they increase infection. Even the use of correct masks could be questionable just on the way they are used alone. Is someone really going to change them every few hours, or at the first sign of dampness?

Mine gets damp after about 10 minutes. And the constant itching means I'm forever fiddling with it. I genuinely struggle to see how it's protecting me from anything, it doesn't even block out bad smells.

10 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I still haven't seen this South Asian study you spoke about. Its been a while.... 

6 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You might well be that fucking obtuse but you’re not that fucking thick. 

Yea, please stop talking to him about it.

He doesn't know anyone who has ever had it, doesn't believe he would catch it if he did - and if he did doesn' think it would affect him. Doesn't care if his actions might prevent someone else from getting it.

Thems da facts, like it or not. They've not changed.

• Upvote 1

If it wasn't for the fact that these cunts are carpetbagging on an industrial scale, there would be something almost admirable about somebody setting up a £100 company and naming it Prospermil - even the name is taking the piss because that is exactly what it is.

• Upvote 1