You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

13 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

As per our discussion a couple of months ago.

"Sweden, which avoided a lockdown during the height of the Covid-19 pandemic, saw its economy shrink 8.6% in the April-to-June period from the previous three months.

The flash estimate from the Swedish statistics office indicated that the country fared better than other EU nations which took stricter measures.

However, it was still the largest quarterly fall for at least 40 years."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53664354

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

As per our discussion a couple of months ago.

"Sweden, which avoided a lockdown during the height of the Covid-19 pandemic, saw its economy shrink 8.6% in the April-to-June period from the previous three months.

The flash estimate from the Swedish statistics office indicated that the country fared better than other EU nations which took stricter measures.

However, it was still the largest quarterly fall for at least 40 years."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53664354

Not sure what this is proving - Italy was on the ropes before Covid and Spain has been decimated.

This seems a better talking point:

Various forecasts predict the Swedish economy will still shrink by about 5% this year.

That is less than other countries hit hard by Covid-19, such as Italy, Spain and the UK, but still similar to the rest of Scandinavia.

Sweden's unemployment rate of 9% remains the highest in the Nordics, up from 7.1% in March.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I’m 52 years old and almost certainly won’t be popping out any sprogs now, so I’ll happily take my chances with the vaccine.

Without it being tested? There is growing evidence covid-19 gets into the brain with effects yet to be determined. A vaccine may, or may not do the same. Are you happy to risk your mental well being?

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Isn’t it based on a SARS vaccine which ended up not being needed once it died out? 

Not sure mate, just know they were fucking around with baboons that had head colds or something for a while. For whatever reason! 

• Upvote 2

People who refuse a working vaccine are pure examples of Darwinism in action. It's almost beautiful to see

One day the survivors will be shipped off to some shithole in Lincolnshire along with the remaining Brexiteers and left to fester in their own filth 

There will be school trips to see them... people will point at them and laugh

Or we could follow the advice of the late, great Kenny Everett

58 minutes ago, M_B said:

Without it being tested? There is growing evidence covid-19 gets into the brain with effects yet to be determined. A vaccine may, or may not do the same. Are you happy to risk your mental well being?

I can't imagine the vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 will contain the intact virus itself. More likely that an attenuated adenovirus vector expressing one or more of the spike proteins will be used.

3 hours ago, skend04 said:

When future generations are popping out sprogs with missing limbs and heads because governments needed us to go back to spending money, then we'll be thinking was it really worth the gamble?

The gamble is the cost of manufacture that might have to be scrapped rather than peoples health. Its still going to be tested fully.

3 minutes ago, A Red said:

The gamble is the cost of manufacture that might have to be scrapped rather than peoples health. Its still going to be tested fully.

Why is it exempt from the compensation scheme then?

Don't forget, the swine flu vaccine caused brain damage.

Just now, Spy Bee said:

Why is it exempt from the compensation scheme then?

Don't forget, the swine flu vaccine caused brain damage.

I'm talking about the actual manufacture of a vaccine before its ready. I guess normally nothing is manufactured until the testing process is complete, in this case they are manufacturing knowing full well it might be a waster of time. It makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

Yes. This is a genuine answer.

Yep, and still cases are being found.  Worrying.  

While it happened in 2009, wasn't the vaccine made in the 1970s or something?  That's the straw I'm grasping to that the science is so far advanced since then that this threat is much much lower (It can never be zero regardless of the drug).  I also think Britain will be once bitten on this and want to ensure all the key checks happen anyway, just that the red-tape will all be removed in the final processes so it can be got to everyone as quick as possible.  Such as paying upfront to allow them already start mass-producing the vaccine so if (as thought) it is viable, they are already ahead of the game.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Yep, and still cases are being found.  Worrying.  

While it happened in 2009, wasn't the vaccine made in the 1970s or something?  That's the straw I'm grasping to that the science is so far advanced since then that this threat is much much lower (It can never be zero regardless of the drug).  I also think Britain will be once bitten on this and want to ensure all the key checks happen anyway, just that the red-tape will all be removed in the final processes so it can be got to everyone as quick as possible.  Such as paying upfront to allow them already start mass-producing the vaccine so if (as thought) it is viable, they are already ahead of the game.

Also, the way the world is today, would we notice the brain damage all that much?

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

They are fogging the planes between flights. I think they may be using HOCl, but I can't be sure. They are also recycling air at a more rapid rate, which means the actual flight is about as safe as can be & this is the only enclosed space you encounter. If you do need a bus to the terminal, this is limited to 25 passengers per bus. The airports are operating with social distancing in mind, although people tend to forget this in certain queues.

At no time did I feel at heightened risk to be honest, although wearing a mask for about 6 hours isn't a nice experience. I would definitely feel at more risk going into a local pub and staying indoors.

Wearing a mask is the only thing putting me off flying at the moment.

If they want me to be uncomfortable on a flight for no good reason, can't they just get a stewardess to kick me in the nuts every 10 minutes or something?

7 hours ago, A Red said:

I think the production of vaccines before they have been fully tested is a necessary gamble. If it proves to be successful there will be a huge demand and everyone would complain about the time it takes to deliver

I'll take a vaccine as soon as it's available. Not because I'm worried about the virus - I'm 41, not 81 - but because I just want the hysterical fannydom to be over. If it takes the placebo of a vaccine to do that, then so be it.

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You will take a vaccine that could have serious side effects but you won't wear a mask?

I wear a mask wherever mandated by law.

I can't imagine what these fantasy side effects are, they'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than wearing a mask.

41 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'll take a vaccine as soon as it's available. Not because I'm worried about the virus - I'm 41, not 81 - but because I just want the hysterical fannydom to be over. If it takes the placebo of a vaccine to do that, then so be it.

When did you take the swine flu vaccine then?