You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just now, Section_31 said:

I'm shocked and appalled.

Thing is, lots of people would be if it was properly explained to them by the maddeningly useless cunts whose job it is to actually explain it to them. But alas it'll probably go largely unreported, as usual, and this is why we're totally and utterly fucked as a country.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Thing is, lots of people would be if it was properly explained to them by the maddeningly useless cunts whose job it is to actually explain it to them. But alas it'll probably go largely unreported, as usual, and this is why we're totally and utterly fucked as a country.

True, but I think the problem runs deeper. It's like the restaruants who will try and rip off the eat out to help out scheme or the companies that furloughed workers and tried to force them to work from home, all the while drawing up plans to fuck them off soon anyway.

Since the age of Thatcher and Reagan our brand or capitalism has been all about making money to the exclusion of all else, be it even the longterm health of our own companies or the country as a whole.

The people who dole out the money at times like this either don't understand or don't care how the game is played. I remember when the credit crunch hit and the head of the fed reserve was talking about how he gathered all the top bankers in a room and basically told them that the world was ending, and he said some of them were making excuses to leave the room to make phonecalls to make money out of it, he seemed genuinely surprised by this behaviour. I was surprised that he was surprised.

Same when we bailed out our own banks and printed money for them to lend it to businesses, which they of course didn't,  but horded it or spent it on bonuses instead.  

I reckon if you told Boris Johnson you paid all your taxes he'd think you were a dickhead and take the piss out of you to his mates.

It's not an economic issue all this, it's a moral one. It's just how we roll.

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

True, but I think the problem runs deeper. It's like the restaruants who will try and rip off the eat out to help out scheme or the companies that furloughed workers and tried to force them to work from home, all the while drawing up plans to fuck them off soon anyway.

Since the age of Thatcher and Reagan our brand or capitalism has been all about making money to the exclusion of all else, be it even the longterm health of our own companies or the country as a whole.

The people who dole out the money at times like this either don't understand or don't care how the game is played. I remember when the credit crunch hit and the head of the fed reserve was talking about how he gathered all the top bankers in a room and basically told them that the world was ending, and he said some of them were making excuses to leave the room to make phonecalls to make money out of it, he seemed genuinely surprised by this behaviour. I was surprised that he was surprised.

Same when we bailed out our own banks and printed money for them to lend it to businesses, which they of course didn't,  but horded it or spent it on bonuses instead.  

It's just how we roll. I reckon if you told Boris Johnson you paid all your taxes he'd take the piss out of you to his mates.

It's not an economic issue all this, it's a moral one. It's just how we roll.

I'd definitely be coming down on the 'don't care' side of the fence, there, rather than the 'don't understand' one. As you say, this kind of behaviour is hardly a new phenomenon.

34 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

We’ve got a real opposition now, they’ll be all over it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

That’s quite an ironic statement from an anti-masker. 

I wear masks where it is mandated to do so. I don't believe the policy is evidence based, but I don't ignore the guidelines.

*I actually went on holiday to a town with a population of just over 30,000 people. That town has experienced 22 cases in total, and only 4 since the beginning of July. I came back to Wrexham, which has been having approximately 100 cases per week for about 2 months. 

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I wear masks where it is mandated to do so. I don't believe the policy is evidence based, but I don't ignore the guidelines.

*I actually went on holiday to a town with a population of just over 30,000 people. That town has experienced 22 cases in total, and only 4 since the beginning of July. I came back to Wrexham, which has been having approximately 100 cases per week for about 2 months. 

Fair enough. 

It’s just my opinion. I mean, in the midst of a global paneldemic I have no desire to travel to other countries and risk putting myself and others in any danger. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Fair enough. 

It’s just my opinion. I mean, in the midst of a global paneldemic I have no desire to travel to other countries and risk putting myself and others in any danger. 

No, you just stay locked in your bathroom mate.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I'm hearing that a town in Spain with a population of just over 30,000 - which only experienced 22 cases up to the beginning of July - has seen their numbers multiply. Witnesses in this town allege to have heard the phrase "you see, boyo" used multiple times in the local village and are calling for translators.

11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

How are they handling flights? That’s the bit that puts me off travelling right now, I just don’t see how it can be done safely and you’re basically on a lottery as to whether someone in the few rows around you has it or not

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

How are they handling flights? That’s the bit that puts me off travelling right now, I just don’t see how it can be done safely and you’re basically on a lottery as to whether someone in the few rows around you has it or not

They are fogging the planes between flights. I think they may be using HOCl, but I can't be sure. They are also recycling air at a more rapid rate, which means the actual flight is about as safe as can be & this is the only enclosed space you encounter. If you do need a bus to the terminal, this is limited to 25 passengers per bus. The airports are operating with social distancing in mind, although people tend to forget this in certain queues.

At no time did I feel at heightened risk to be honest, although wearing a mask for about 6 hours isn't a nice experience. I would definitely feel at more risk going into a local pub and staying indoors.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

They are fogging the planes between flights. I think they may be using HOCl, but I can't be sure. They are also recycling air at a more rapid rate, which means the actual flight is about as safe as can be & this is the only enclosed space you encounter. If you do need a bus to the terminal, this is limited to 20 passengers per bus. The airports are operating with social distancing in mind, although people tend to forget this in certain queues.

At no time did I feel at heightened risk to be honest, although wearing a mask for about 6 hours isn't a nice experience. I would definitely feel at more risk going into a local pub and staying indoors.

The local pub around my way is basically idiot central - no social distancing measures, no tracing, people are wandering out of the pub pissed and strolling into the local shops. I 100% agree that organised places like airports, hospitals, shops and the like are safer places to be than indoor places where literally the phrase "couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery" has never been more appropriate.

Did anybody watch the show on C4 on Monday night about the potential vaccine? It was on just before the Klopp show.

I found it very interesting. They are obviously putting a lot of faith in the Oxford vaccine working. Despite it not finishing its trials, it is already started to be put into production. 

I know it will go through all the relevant peer checks and whatever red tape it needs to go through, I’m just a bit nervous it’s being rushed through. 

If it was just me, I don’t think I’d take the vaccine. I’m reasonably young and healthy enough. I’m hardly ever (never) sick, I can comfortably count on one hand the amount of time a virus has laid me out since I was in high school. I’d be willing to either get it and beat it naturally or, if possible, see if my T-Cell level is enough to give me immunity.

However, it’s not just me. My daughter has health issues and my wife has a low white cell count. My Dad is 68, over weight and has had heart issues. Other people I travel to games together are in a similar position. 

So, I’d take it, not for me, but for my family and others. I suppose the more who take it, the more life will return to “normal”.

• Upvote 1

Fuck taking a vaccine that has gone into mass production before it's been tested and approved. Note as well, that this vaccine will be exempt from the government compensation scheme - Vaccine Damage Payment.

I genuinely don't think it will be necessary within the next few months anyway. If you believe that saturation is playing a part in slowing spread, then we are not far off a vaccine being superfluous.

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Did anybody watch the show on C4 on Monday night about the potential vaccine? It was on just before the Klopp show.

I found it very interesting. They are obviously putting a lot of faith in the Oxford vaccine working. Despite it not finishing its trials, it is already started to be put into production. 

I know it will go through all the relevant peer checks and whatever red tape it needs to go through, I’m just a bit nervous it’s being rushed through. 

If it was just me, I don’t think I’d take the vaccine. I’m reasonably young and healthy enough. I’m hardly ever (never) sick, I can comfortably count on one hand the amount of time a virus has laid me out since I was in high school. I’d be willing to either get it and beat it naturally or, if possible, see if my T-Cell level is enough to give me immunity.

However, it’s not just me. My daughter has health issues and my wife has a low white cell count. My Dad is 68, over weight and has had heart issues. Other people I travel to games together are in a similar position. 

So, I’d take it, not for me, but for my family and others. I suppose the more who take it, the more life will return to “normal”.

I think one of the reasons it's moving so fast around the world, beyond the fact of necessity, is because governments are taking all the risk off the companies' shoulders. Usually they wouldn't start producing it at all until it was all proven, which delays things, and they also have to ensure they've dotted all the Is and crossed the Ts, I think governments have basically said don't worry about all that and just start making the thing now, if it doesn't work we'll pay for it anyway, and if anyone sprouts three heads we'll cover the legal bills.

I doubt it would get that far though, the Oxford one is based on proven tech they've been messing around with for a while i think and are just adapting it to this virus.

I think the production of vaccines before they have been fully tested is a necessary gamble. If it proves to be successful there will be a huge demand and everyone would complain about the time it takes to deliver

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I doubt it would get that far though, the Oxford one is based on proven tech they've been messing around with for a while i think and are just adapting it to this virus.

Isn’t it based on a SARS vaccine which ended up not being needed once it died out? 

1 hour ago, A Red said:

I think the production of vaccines before they have been fully tested is a necessary gamble. If it proves to be successful there will be a huge demand and everyone would complain about the time it takes to deliver

When future generations are popping out sprogs with missing limbs and heads because governments needed us to go back to spending money, then we'll be thinking was it really worth the gamble?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The whole thing is silly.

Israel reported nearly 11k recovered from Covid just 5 days ago - on a single day!!

Imagine that. 15% of the cases they have ever had - cured in a day.

It's traditionally been right at the top of world rankings for miracles to be fair. 

• Upvote 5