You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

26 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Like Brexit all over again. Utterly delusional. 

24C5D745-78C6-46B1-AA76-C3F5C46BB9DA.jpeg

It's almost as though the virus doesn't give a flying fuck what you believe.

It's fizzling out. It's really hard to catch it. We're all immune anyway. We've probably all had it and didn't realise. It's not that serious. Summer'll sort it. We're British, Goddammit. Super Sunday. Freedom. Young people don't get it. Sweden, Sweden, fucking Sweden. You could be hit by a bus in 10 years time and it'd be recorded as a Covid-19 death. We don't need no stinking masks. Oh, excess deaths are down a few hundred a week after tens of thousands of people have had their lives needlessly cut short.

Rinse and repeat.

It's like an endless Y2K bug scenario. We take precautions, stop the worst of it then go back to doing exactly the same as before because the precautions were apparently overkill. Except in this case in the UK (and the US), the catastrophe actually happened just a few weeks ago and we're still being fucking stupid.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

It's almost as though the virus doesn't give a flying fuck what you believe.

It's fizzling out. It's really hard to catch it. We're all immune anyway. We've probably all had it and didn't realise. It's not that serious. Summer'll sort it. We're British, Goddammit. Super Sunday. Freedom. Young people don't get it. Sweden, Sweden, fucking Sweden. You could be hit by a bus in 10 years time and it'd be recorded as a Covid-19 death. We don't need no stinking masks. Oh, excess deaths are down a few hundred a week after tens of thousands of people have had their lives needlessly cut short.

Rinse and repeat.

It's like an endless Y2K bug scenario. We take precautions, stop the worst of it then go back to doing exactly the same as before because the precautions were apparently overkill. Except in this case in the UK (and the US), the catastrophe actually happened just a few weeks ago and we're still being fucking stupid.

Thick ignorant people mate. Cant see that they are literally killing people with their arrogance. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Fauci has told Senators he reckons they'll have a working vaccine end of year or early next, despite his initial scepticism. Reckons Russia and China's vaccines are blag. (Those were his exact words).

A vaccine for human coronavirus? That'll be a first. A miracle, even.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Thick ignorant people mate. Cant see that they are literally killing people with their arrogance. 

Yep. It's just infuriating. That Devi Sridhar article I quoted above is a very clear take on what we need to do. Instead we've got these ridiculous wars about wearing a fucking mask in a shop for a few minutes and endless wishful thinking that it's all over based on... well, magic, basically.

Guest Pistonbroke
7 hours ago, Mudface said:

Yep. It's just infuriating. That Devi Sridhar article I quoted above is a very clear take on what we need to do. Instead we've got these ridiculous wars about wearing a fucking mask in a shop for a few minutes and endless wishful thinking that it's all over based on... well, magic, basically.

Each and every morning when you check the media there are new stories about European and World countries and how they are suffering, yet on the UK front the bad news is either short lived or buried under other headlines. 

What also gets me, and this is society in general from around the World, who the fuck in their right mind would want to go on holiday at the moment. With restrictions everywhere and the high risk of contracting Covid it must end up being a tactical nightmare planning each day, or maybe's these people really don't give a fuck apart from having their jollies. I bet they'll give a fuck about having to self quarantine on their return. I'm more than happy to stay at home, probably more relaxing and a hell of a lot less dangerous just picking certain times of the day to go for a leisurely stroll in the parks or forests. 

9 hours ago, cochyn said:

A vaccine for human coronavirus? That'll be a first. A miracle, even.

Some interesting stuff on it here.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/30/a-huge-experiment-how-the-world-made-so-much-progress-on-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-fast/

I suppose it's a case of needs must isn't it? Like the Second World War, we went from horse drawn guns to atomic weapons and jet engines in six years. 

Money and motivation.

17 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

No one challenging them that I could see, someone walked in ahead of me without one, and Costco always have people on the door to check the card, and he was just waved in without a word. 

Some of them obviously may have had valid reasons for not wearing one but I seen four adults together and none of them had one so you’d imagine that’s just because they don’t want to. 

Most businesses instruct staff not to challenge people because the public can be rude, aggressive pricks and no one on minimum wage needs that shit.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Each and every morning when you check the media there are new stories about European and World countries and how they are suffering, yet on the UK front the bad news is either short lived or buried under other headlines. 

What also gets me, and this is society in general from around the World, who the fuck in their right mind would want to go on holiday at the moment. With restrictions everywhere and the high risk of contracting Covid it must end up being a tactical nightmare planning each day, or maybe's these people really don't give a fuck apart from having their jollies. I bet they'll give a fuck about having to self quarantine on their return. I'm more than happy to stay at home, probably more relaxing and a hell of a lot less dangerous just picking certain times of the day to go for a leisurely stroll in the parks or forests. 

We were strict on the whole during the lockdown but I’ve booked two nights In London from the 19th to take my two girls to do some touristy shit. Would have went the week just gone but there was fuck all open. Kids need to blow off some steam. They are bored shitless of going for walks and there’s only so much they can do at home. Might as well do something they’ll remember before we end up clapping on the doorstep every Thursday again in a couple of months.  

20 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

TK would be proud.

To be fair the British are pretty obedient when it comes to being told what to do, by and large and you don't get many dissenting voices from opposition politicians or media outlets. The problem is the government hasn't told them the right things at the right time.

In the States, even if Trump hadn't been in office I reckon it still would have been grim, as politicians, YouTube types and the likes have spent the last 40 years telling people the federal government is run by beelzebub.

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

We were strict on the whole during the lockdown but I’ve booked two nights In London from the 19th to take my two girls to do some touristy shit. Would have went the week just gone but there was fuck all open. Kids need to blow off some steam. They are bored shitless of going for walks and there’s only so much they can do at home. Might as well do something they’ll remember before we end up clapping on the doorstep every Thursday again in a couple of months.  

I get that mate, but I'm on about those who jet off for a few weeks. You're travelling within a country where it is easier to plan and gleam information about the area you are visiting. Plus no self quarantine restrictions after you've had your mini break or eventual problems arising from health insurance should you need to see a doctor. 

4 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I get that mate, but I'm on about those who jet off for a few weeks. You're travelling within a country where it is easier to plan and gleam information about the area you are visiting. Plus no self quarantine restrictions after you've had your mini break or eventual problems arising from health insurance should you need to see a doctor. 

Stop trying to sugarcoat it - he's a disgrace. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, The Golden Eel said:

Stop trying to sugarcoat it - he's a disgrace. 

Hahaha, but I wasn't trying to, for the reasons I have given. I'd rather stay at home myself like. A lot probably depends on the area you live in and what you can actually do with young kids. 

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

To be fair the British are pretty obedient when it comes to being told what to do, by and large and you don't get many dissenting voices from opposition politicians or media outlets. The problem is the government hasn't told them the right things at the right time.

In the States, even if Trump hadn't been in office I reckon it still would have been grim, as politicians, YouTube types and the likes have spent the last 40 years telling people the federal government is run by beelzebub.

Yeah I agree mate. It's the same over here in Ireland. People by and large have put in a huge effort over the last few months. 

• Upvote 1

It really is a balancing act between economy and safety. It is simple to say of course safety first always but people need to earn money. Essential business, supply lines everything the world cant stop. Its shitty as fuck, every possible safety measure should be taken, fuck off vouchers spend it on testing, track and trace. You can't have long term lockdowns or random ones I know people who have spent a fortune, accrued debt to re open their business and they could face another lockdown. Im not being a sociopath, saying fuck it let it do its thing but surely there's smarter ways than this random cluster fuck by the government.

Sad thing is is this is a real opportunity to change things for the better for people, to actually implement big changes be innovative but we know for an absolute fact that after this it will be the very wealthy making a fortune and the worst off paying the price, the same as it ever was. The mobsters in charge aren't going to change anything when the game is rigged to benefit themselves.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It really is a balancing act between economy and safety. It is simple to say of course safety first always but people need to earn money. Essential business, supply lines everything the world cant stop. Its shitty as fuck, every possible safety measure should be taken, fuck off vouchers spend it on testing, track and trace. You can't have long term lockdowns or random ones I know people who have spent a fortune, accrued debt to re open their business and they could face another lockdown. Im not being a sociopath, saying fuck it let it do its thing but surely there's smarter ways than this random cluster fuck by the government.

Sad thing is is this is a real opportunity to change things for the better for people, to actually implement big changes be innovative but we know for an absolute fact that after this it will be the very wealthy making a fortune and the worst off paying the price, the same as it ever was. The mobsters in charge aren't going to change anything when the game is rigged to benefit themselves.

Spot on.

Talk is cheap but the average joe doesn't have to make these decisions. If only it was as easy as going on Twitter and proclaiming that if everyone stayed away from Bournemouth and waited for a cure then all would be well.

Some people on Granada reports yesterday saying stuff like "oh people can go to the pub but I can't see my nan, they don't know what they're doing!"

Well no, nobody knows what they're doing, that's cos it's a global pandemic involving a new - one might even say novel - virus that behaves in ways nobody has ever seen before. They probably wouldn't know what they were doing if an asteroid hit or there was a nuclear war either, if you do though feel free to take the reins.

Let's ban pubs until you're allowed to see your nan again, put the 50 odd staff on the dole, rinse and repeat until there's no PPE for nurses because there's no actual fucking economy.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Have a look at what the NZ PM has said, they are trying to reset their economy. Training, grants and exports.  

Found it. 

• Upvote 3