You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Just been in Costco, reckon about 90% of people had masks on. 

Pretty much everyone I've seen in the shops this last week has had masks on, not just round here but anywhere we've been, save for a couple of people who were in scooters and clearly disabled. 

Guest Pistonbroke
11 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

Is anyone challenging the other 10%

Compliance here is 100% although there’s a fair few with the mask under their nose. Presumably they believe that as mouth-breathers it is safe

Same here. You also get those who use a polar neck sweater or scarf (despite it being summer) to cover their mouth and nose, then let it drop below the nose once they've gained entry into the shops. TBF I've seen quite a few of them being pulled up about it and asked to leave if they continued with this behaviour. 

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Pretty much everyone I've seen in the shops this last week has had masks on, not just round here but anywhere we've been, save for a couple of people who were in scooters and clearly disabled. 

Obviously why the infection rate is plummeting.

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Obviously why the infection rate is plummeting.

Obviously, especially seeing as the chances of passing it on are infinitesimal. 

27 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

Is anyone challenging the other 10%

Compliance here is 100% although there’s a fair few with the mask under their nose. Presumably they believe that as mouth-breathers it is safe

No one challenging them that I could see, someone walked in ahead of me without one, and Costco always have people on the door to check the card, and he was just waved in without a word. 

Some of them obviously may have had valid reasons for not wearing one but I seen four adults together and none of them had one so you’d imagine that’s just because they don’t want to. 

Just now, Sugar Ape said:

No one challenging them that I could see, someone walked in ahead of me without one, and Costco always have people on the door to check the card, and he was just waved in without a word. 

Some of them obviously may have had valid reasons for not wearing one but I seen four adults together and none of them had one so you’d imagine that’s just because they don’t want to. 

Selfish twats. Supermarkets here have additional security now but obviously it’s up to smaller shops whether they want to enforce or not. Tbh, I think supermarket workers are some of the unsung heroes recently, they’ve had to put up with a load of bad behaviour and work in risky environments for shitty wages

• Upvote 4

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I don't think it's fair for shop staff to enforce masks especially as the coppers have already said they probably won't turn up to a mask incident if called. These poor folks have got enough on their plate (shop staff, not coppers).

True. I think other shoppers could also help them out by asking others to abide by the rules. Not sure about how much agro that would cause in the UK like. 

I went inside a shop for the first time in about 4 months today- just the local petrol station. They supplied disposable gloves for handling the pump, there was free hand sanitiser to use on the way in, 2 metre distance signs on the floor for the queue and everyone was wearing masks. Left feeling quite happy that it was still being taken seriously.

Just as I started the engine back up, 4 kids aged about 15 or 16 turned up with no masks, didn't bother with the sanitiser, pushed past the woman who was queuing at the door and started wandering about inside. Selfish pricks.

13 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I went inside a shop for the first time in about 4 months today- just the local petrol station. They supplied disposable gloves for handling the pump, there was free hand sanitiser to use on the way in, 2 metre distance signs on the floor for the queue and everyone was wearing masks. Left feeling quite happy that it was still being taken seriously.

Just as I started the engine back up, 4 kids aged about 15 or 16 turned up with no masks, didn't bother with the sanitiser, pushed past the woman who was queuing at the door and started wandering about inside. Selfish pricks.

Disposable gloves, lube and everyone wearing masks? Sounds ace. 

• Upvote 1

Sensible stuff- https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2020/jul/31/the-northern-lockdown-represents-government-failure-on-a-massive-scale-covid-19

Chances of this shower actually organising it? Fuck all.

The northern lockdown represents government failure. There is a better way
Devi Sridhar
Had Britain devised clear, tough outbreak control measures, the latest Covid-19 restrictions wouldn’t have been necessary

More than 4 million people in the north of England woke up on Friday morning to the news that coronavirus restrictions were being reimposed. This follows the local lockdown in Leicester. Such measures are entirely predictable and a glimpse of the pattern of lockdown and release that will occur over the coming weeks and months as the government attempts to avoid a second peak in infections.

While it might be an effective way to stop the spread of the infection once it has got out of hand, the government’s whack-a-mole approach will slowly strangle the economy, as small businesses collapse under the uncertainty and larger ones have to let people go. It will also undermine social cohesion, as increasing numbers of people refuse to abide by what they see as capricious, complicated rulings.

To fix this, the government needs to look six to eight months ahead and make a clear plan for how to best get through this crisis with the least loss of life, the healthiest possible economy and the least overwhelmed health service. It’s crucial to do this thinking before the winter hits. In short, lockdowns should be a last-resort measure when the frontline outbreak responders – the local testing and tracing teams – can no longer suppress the infection sufficiently.
There are tough decisions ahead. In the absence of a vaccine, people must realise that they cannot have it all. We can either have our daily lives back with borders largely closed, or we can have free movement and constant outbreaks. It’s important when weighing this up to realise that the biggest problem for the economy is not lockdown. It is the virus itself. Front-loading deaths from this disease does not “save” the economy, as Sweden has painfully learned, and buying time can lead to treatments such as dexamethasone, which would have saved the lives of many of those who died. “Herd immunity” has thankfully also been taken off the table, given uncertainty about levels of protection, long-term health complications for survivors and the prolonged strain on health services.

Thursday’s figures revealed 846 new infections in the UK, the highest total for more than a month. But a closer look at that picture gives us a clue as to what direction to take. Only 34 of those infections came from Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland – the rest came from England. Since Scotland started pursuing an “elimination” strategy, infections declined and are now estimated to be seven to 10 times fewer per capita than in England. Current modelling estimates 10 to 30 daily new infections in Scotland versus 2,800 new infections per day in England. Scotland has reported no confirmed Covid-19 deaths for 14 days, and Northern Ireland for 16 days.

Scotland and Northern Ireland are pursuing a “zero Covid” objective, aiming to eliminate community transmission. But they won’t be able do it without a coordinated approach across the UK. Cooperation is essential – if only one part doesn’t go for elimination, the others can’t do it either. We all win together, or we all lose together.

Going for a zero Covid-19 Britain means setting an objective with a timeline, forming a gameplan, appointing a high-level official to oversee things and just getting on and doing it using local authorities and expertise. The key is to use physical distancing measures to drive case numbers down and then use a robust testing and tracing system to figure out who has the virus and then get them into isolation during the infectious phase so they don’t pass it on to others.

This is classic outbreak control and it is how viruses have been controlled in the past. It requires a focus on clearing the virus completely from those parts of the country that have only a few cases (south-west England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland), emulating the Australian and Chinese approaches by limiting non-essential travel in and out of these areas, and then engaging in a concerted effort to get the Midlands and north-west under control. It also requires strict measures at borders including testing at arrival and five days later, enforced quarantine and tracking of all imported cases.

In this way, those places with very few cases could effectively return to normal life.

I have studied outbreaks in poorer countries such as Haiti, Senegal, India and Tanzania, so I am conscious what a privileged position we are in Britain, with our enormous wealth and resources. Why not make the choice to make the UK a beacon of suppression, a success in the fight against Covid-19, a model for others? The government owes it to the people of Greater Manchester and beyond to find a better way.

• Devi Sridhar is a professor and chair of global public health at the University of Edinburgh

Just now, Elite said:

Can see schools being shut again by October.

Governments in lots of countries have fucked this up sufficiently that people returning to offices and kids going back to schools in September will ensure there is another fairly strict lockdown in October that will probably last for another couple of months. 

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Governments in lots of countries have fucked this up sufficiently that people returning to offices and kids going back to schools in September will ensure there is another fairly strict lockdown in October that will probably last for another couple of months. 

Definitely, this shits going to run and run for a good while unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Definitely, this shits going to run and run for a good while unfortunately.

Madrid in September is going to be horrific. The whole city basically fucks off to the beach. Couple of million people returning the last two weeks of August. 

National tourism is probably going to be a bigger issue than foreign tourism in many countries as at least with most foreign tourism they stay in one place (often one hotel/bar/beach for Brits/Germans/Russians) then fuck off home again. That stuff can at least be reasonably well tracked and traced. 

I've got students who have said that they're not going abroad but that they're going to visit a load of towns in Asturias or wherever. 

We really need this fucking vaccine.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Fauci has told Senators he reckons they'll have a working vaccine end of year or early next, despite his initial scepticism. Reckons Russia and China's vaccines are blag. (Those were his exact words).

Oh yeah "Vaccine will be ready a few months after the planned election so lets drag mutt this out a bit longer"