You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

American company? I thought Woolworths was a British company? I’ll have to look into this now. My illusion is shattered. 

Maybe's they had multiple buyouts over the years, but I'm 100% certain that the Woolworth' subsidiaries in Germany were from FW Woolworth's in the states. I think the Uk Woolworth's was indeed its own group but originally a division of the American FW Woolworth's. 

Walking through the big Woolies in Southport after you'd got off the train waa where your day out started. Out of the station, pick up some sweets, quick browse of the Lego, straight through to Lord Street and off up to the front for a bash at the arcade.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Walking through the big Woolies in Southport after you'd got off the train waa where your day out started. Out of the station, pick up some sweets, quick browse of the Lego, straight through to Lord Street and off up to the front for a bash at the arcade.

I got my N64 from Woolworths. I paid with my own money, which was a real ‘growing up’ moment for me. 

28 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

American company? I thought Woolworths was a British company? I’ll have to look into this now. My illusion is shattered. 

It was American, but they sold the UK branch in the 1980s. The German subsidiary similarly went independent in the 90s.

The US Woolworths has a presence in the UK these days, but it's called Foot Locker now.

6 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

It was American, but they sold the UK branch in the 1980s. The German subsidiary similarly went independent in the 90s.

The US Woolworths has a presence in the UK these days, but it's called Foot Locker now.

Thoughts on the UK leading the way in deaths in Europe? 

1 hour ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

When I was in Australia, Woolworths was the big supermarket company there. Absolute dominance.

55 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Haha, very true

I went to Southport last year for the first time in 30 odd years. A lot had changed but a lot was exactly the same. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, mattyq said:

Haha, very true

I went to Southport last year for the first time in 30 odd years. A lot had changed but a lot was exactly the same. 

Remember the Funhouse? that place was ace, health and safety nightmare these days though.

Just now, Elite said:

Remember the Funhouse? that place was ace, health and safety nightmare these days though.

Certainly do. It was mayhem in there

That big fuck off spinning thing that flung everybody off all over the place. Madness but a great laugh

According to the Zoe app, cases back up again - number of cases per day at 2100 again, so I think after a fall to 1400, we had 2 weeks at 2100, 1 at 1800 and we're now back at 2100 per day. At least we're not seeing an upward surge, but it would appear we must have an R rate of around 1 nationally and large parts of the country are still working from home. 

Screenshot_20200730-112541.jpg

Just now, The Gaul said:

According to the Zoe app, cases back up again - number of cases per day at 2100 again, so I think after a fall to 1400, we had 2 weeks at 2100, 1 at 1800 and we're now back at 2100 per day. At least we're not seeing an upward surge, but it would appear we must have an R rate of around 1 nationally and large parts of the country are still working from home. 

Screenshot_20200730-112541.jpg

No, mate

You're mistaken

We've been informed many times on here and elsewhere that we've now got herd immunity and t cells coming out of our arses

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The truth will out...

The UK has the most excess deaths across Europe!

British exceptionalism at its fucking finest.

The United Kingdom suffered the highest rate of excess deaths during the Covid-19 pandemic in a comparison of 21 European countries, an analysis from Britain’s statistics office showed on Thursday.

Epidemiologists say excess mortality – deaths from all causes that exceed the five-year average for the time of year – is the best way of gauging deaths from a disease outbreak because it is internationally comparable.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) analysis confirmed the UK’s place as one of the countries worst hit by a pandemic that has killed more than 666,000 people worldwide.

About 65,000 more people than usual have died from all causes across the United Kingdom so far this year, the highest total in Europe.

Analysis shows England had highest excess deaths across Europe in first half of 2020 

Analysis shows England had highest excess deaths across Europe in first half of 2020 

Edward Morgan, from the ONS’s health analysis and life events division, said the first half of 2020 saw “extraordinary increases” in mortality rates across Western Europe. Picture: PA 

THURSDAY, JULY 30, 2020 - 11:59 AM
PRESS ASSOCIATION

England had the highest levels of excess mortality in Europe across the first half of 2020, according to new analysis by the UK Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The country experienced the longest continuous period of excess deaths as well as the highest levels, a comparison of 23 European countries found.

It is the first time the ONS has compared mortality rates in different countries to measure the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

By the week ending May 29, England had a relative cumulative age-standardised mortality rate of 7.55% – meaning it was 7.55% higher than the average mortality rate between 2015 and 2019.

Spain ranked second at 6.65%, followed by Scotland (5.11%), Belgium (3.89%) and Wales (2.78%).

England still had the highest cumulative excess deaths rate two weeks later, by the week ending June 12, though at this point there was only data available on 17 other countries to compare it with.

From February 14 to the week ending June 12, England experienced the second highest peak of excess deaths, after Spain, out of 21 countries with data available.

Edward Morgan, from the ONS’s health analysis and life events division, said the first half of 2020 saw “extraordinary increases” in mortality rates across Western Europe, when compared with the average over the past five years.

He continued: “While none of the four UK nations had a peak mortality level as high as Spain or the worst-hit local areas of Spain and Italy, excess mortality was geographically widespread throughout the UK during the pandemic, whereas it was more geographically localised in most countries of Western Europe.

Combined with the relatively slow downward ‘tail’ of the pandemic in the UK, this meant that, by the end of May, England had seen the highest overall relative excess mortality out of all the European countries compared.

Using the measure of all-cause mortality to calculate the impact of the pandemic means results are not affected by the different ways countries record Covid-19 deaths.

It also considers the indirect impacts of the pandemic, such as reduced or delayed access to care.

The ONS used weekly death registration data published by Eurostat and ONS data for England and Wales, National Records Scotland (NRS) data for Scotland, and Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) data for Northern Ireland.

It found little evidence of abnormal mortality rates in Eastern Europe.

Every local authority area in the UK experienced excess mortality between the weeks ending April 3 and May 8, while other countries in Western Europe experienced more localised excess deaths, the ONS said.

The ONS said that while Spain recorded the highest peak of excess mortality, England had higher levels of cumulative excess mortality thanks to longer periods of time with mortality rates above the average.

Looking at major cities, the highest peak excess mortality was in Madrid, which saw levels of excess mortality in the week ending March 27 that were more than five times higher (or 432.7% higher) than the average expected mortality rate in 2015 to 2019.

In the UK, Birmingham was the city with the highest peak excess mortality (249.7% in the week ending April 17), followed by London (226.7% in the week ending April 17) and Manchester (198.4% in the week ending April 17).

Regions in Spain, Italy and England made up the top 20 areas across Europe with the highest recorded peak mortality rates.

Areas in England included Brent, Enfield and Ealing, in greater London, and Thurrock in Essex.

Brent was the worst affected area in England, experiencing the highest peak excess mortality – 357.5% in the week ending April 17.

The area with the highest peak mortality rate in Europe was Bergamo in Italy – 847.7% in the week ending March 20.

2.54781731.jpg?w=640

(PA Graphics)

Dr Veena Raleigh, senior fellow at The King’s Fund, said the pandemic has exposed “the wide and widening health divide” in the UK population.

She said: “Over the past decade, life expectancy improvements in the UK have lagged behind our European peers.

With the worst coronavirus death toll in Europe, there is a very real risk that the UK will slide even further down the life expectancy league tables.

“The priority for the UK is to control the pandemic and learn lessons ahead of a potential second wave, but it is also essential to tackle the underlying reasons for stalling life expectancy in recent years – many of which contribute to poor Covid-19 outcomes.”

Jonathan Ashworth, Labour’s shadow health secretary, said the statistics are devastating, adding: “We can no longer hide from the fact the Government has not handled this crisis well and needs to urgently learn lessons from its mistakes.”

from here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40024550.html

13 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes Lewis, we’re all in this together. 

I feel so much better knowing that he is going through this too.

2 hours ago, DJLJ said:

Edward Morgan, from the ONS’s health analysis and life events division, said the first half of 2020 saw “extraordinary increases” in mortality rates across Western Europe. Picture: PA 

THURSDAY, JULY 30, 2020 - 11:59 AM
PRESS ASSOCIATION

England had the highest levels of excess mortality in Europe across the first half of 2020, according to new analysis by the UK Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The country experienced the longest continuous period of excess deaths as well as the highest levels, a comparison of 23 European countries found.

It is the first time the ONS has compared mortality rates in different countries to measure the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

By the week ending May 29, England had a relative cumulative age-standardised mortality rate of 7.55% – meaning it was 7.55% higher than the average mortality rate between 2015 and 2019.

Spain ranked second at 6.65%, followed by Scotland (5.11%), Belgium (3.89%) and Wales (2.78%).

England still had the highest cumulative excess deaths rate two weeks later, by the week ending June 12, though at this point there was only data available on 17 other countries to compare it with.

From February 14 to the week ending June 12, England experienced the second highest peak of excess deaths, after Spain, out of 21 countries with data available.

Edward Morgan, from the ONS’s health analysis and life events division, said the first half of 2020 saw “extraordinary increases” in mortality rates across Western Europe, when compared with the average over the past five years.

He continued: “While none of the four UK nations had a peak mortality level as high as Spain or the worst-hit local areas of Spain and Italy, excess mortality was geographically widespread throughout the UK during the pandemic, whereas it was more geographically localised in most countries of Western Europe.

Combined with the relatively slow downward ‘tail’ of the pandemic in the UK, this meant that, by the end of May, England had seen the highest overall relative excess mortality out of all the European countries compared.

Using the measure of all-cause mortality to calculate the impact of the pandemic means results are not affected by the different ways countries record Covid-19 deaths.

It also considers the indirect impacts of the pandemic, such as reduced or delayed access to care.

The ONS used weekly death registration data published by Eurostat and ONS data for England and Wales, National Records Scotland (NRS) data for Scotland, and Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) data for Northern Ireland.

It found little evidence of abnormal mortality rates in Eastern Europe.

Every local authority area in the UK experienced excess mortality between the weeks ending April 3 and May 8, while other countries in Western Europe experienced more localised excess deaths, the ONS said.

The ONS said that while Spain recorded the highest peak of excess mortality, England had higher levels of cumulative excess mortality thanks to longer periods of time with mortality rates above the average.

Looking at major cities, the highest peak excess mortality was in Madrid, which saw levels of excess mortality in the week ending March 27 that were more than five times higher (or 432.7% higher) than the average expected mortality rate in 2015 to 2019.

In the UK, Birmingham was the city with the highest peak excess mortality (249.7% in the week ending April 17), followed by London (226.7% in the week ending April 17) and Manchester (198.4% in the week ending April 17).

Regions in Spain, Italy and England made up the top 20 areas across Europe with the highest recorded peak mortality rates.

Areas in England included Brent, Enfield and Ealing, in greater London, and Thurrock in Essex.

Brent was the worst affected area in England, experiencing the highest peak excess mortality – 357.5% in the week ending April 17.

The area with the highest peak mortality rate in Europe was Bergamo in Italy – 847.7% in the week ending March 20.

2.54781731.jpg?w=640

(PA Graphics)

Dr Veena Raleigh, senior fellow at The King’s Fund, said the pandemic has exposed “the wide and widening health divide” in the UK population.

She said: “Over the past decade, life expectancy improvements in the UK have lagged behind our European peers.

With the worst coronavirus death toll in Europe, there is a very real risk that the UK will slide even further down the life expectancy league tables.

“The priority for the UK is to control the pandemic and learn lessons ahead of a potential second wave, but it is also essential to tackle the underlying reasons for stalling life expectancy in recent years – many of which contribute to poor Covid-19 outcomes.”

Jonathan Ashworth, Labour’s shadow health secretary, said the statistics are devastating, adding: “We can no longer hide from the fact the Government has not handled this crisis well and needs to urgently learn lessons from its mistakes.”

from here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40024550.html

Or as the BBC will report it; 

Analysis shows Spain had the highest excess deaths across European Union.

• Upvote 2