You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Positive news is coming on Oxford Covid-19 vaccine, writes Robert Peston.

I am hearing there will be positive news soon (perhaps tomorrow) on initial trials of the Oxford Covid-19 vaccine that is backed by AstraZeneca and supported by tens of millions of pounds of government money.

The first data is due be published in the Lancet.

Apparently the vaccine is generating the kind of antibody and T-cell (killer cell) response that the researchers would hope to see.

That said, the efficacy will only be properly established in the large phase III programme that is under way in the viral epicentre of Brazil, to deliver a large database that assesses safety as well as efficacy.

One source told me: “An important point to keep in mind is that there are two dimensions to the immune response: antibodies and T-cells..

“Everybody is focussed on antibodies but there is a growing body of evidence suggesting that the T-cells response is important in the defence against coronavirus.

As I understand, not all of the many vaccines under development across the world increase both antibodies and T-cells. But the Oxford vaccine looks as though it has this twin effect.

It remains relatively early days: No effective vaccine has ever been developed as rapidly as is being attempted for Covid-19. And there could still be disappointment and failure.

If the Oxford vaccine is proven effective, it could go into mass production as early as September.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Like pubs, and gyms and restaurants, yeah?

Personally I wouldn't sit inside in a pub , restaurant or go to the gym yet . Pain in the fucking arse I know but I'll continue to swerve enclosed public spaces as much as possible that don't or can't have masks . 

Maybe being a bit older and more at risk than most of you guys makes me more cautious plus I don't trust the numbers or the advice coming from the shower of shit running the show.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If anything summed coronavirus up:

Ec-gBsMXYAAyisr?format=jpg

Has it become an adult viewing room? If not, it's the perfect place. 

This sounds promising- https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-oxford-vaccine-could-provide-double-protection-report-12029406

Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine could provide 'double protection' - report
The vaccine being developed at Oxford is one of the leading contenders in the global race to protect against coronavirus.
It is hoped the vaccine - if it is successful - will be available this year
Researchers at the University of Oxford believe they have made a breakthrough in the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

Human trials are reported to have shown promising results after the team discovered the jab could provide "double protection" against the virus.

Blood samples taken from volunteers in phase one trials have shown the vaccine stimulated the body to produce antibodies and T-cells, according to a report in The Daily Telegraph.

There are high hopes for the vaccine being developed at Oxford and another at Imperial College
A source told the newspaper that the combination "will hopefully keep people safe".

The vaccine is one of more than 100 in development as the coronavirus continues to spread - infecting more than 13 million people and killing at least 582,000.

David Carpenter, chairman of the Berkshire Research Ethics Committee, which approved the Oxford trial, said the vaccine team was "absolutely on track".
He added: "Nobody can put final dates... things might go wrong but the reality is that by working with a big pharma company, that vaccine could be fairly widely available around September and that is the sort of target they are working on."

The vaccine development is being supported by the UK government and AstraZeneca.

The pharmaceutical company's chief executive said last month that phase one trials were due to finish and a phase three trial had begun which will see the vaccine given to thousands of people so it can be tested for efficacy and safety.

The firm has reached agreements to supply around two billion doses worldwide, despite acknowledging that it is not yet certain the vaccine will work.

The vaccine is based on a weakened version of the common cold that causes infections in chimpanzees.

It also contains the genetic material of the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 - the strain of coronavirus that causes the COVID-19 illness.

The UK government has also given £41m to the development of another coronavirus vaccine being developed by London's Imperial College.

Researchers are looking 12,000 compounds in the hope of speeding up the search for a vaccine

June: Oxford Uni 'moving very quickly' on vaccine
If the vaccine does work, it will first be given to the most vulnerable, such as the elderly and healthcare workers, Mr Carpenter said.

The government will also allow technicians, nurses and pharmacists to give the vaccine, as well as GPs.

Nurses and pharmacists can already give some vaccinations without a doctor's prescription.

A warning from history though-

• Upvote 1

shUT Up, tHEy'rE fOLLowINg ThE scIENCe

SAGE advised government to impose lockdown on 16 or 18 March

IT's STiLL ToO EArly To SAY wHetheR THE Uk GOVt hAVe cOMPleTely fUcKeD THis onE Up

Asked his views on the UK’s response to the coronavirus pandemic not being “the most admired in the world”, Vallance said: “It’s clear that the outcome has not been good in the UK, I think you can be absolutely clear about that.”

2 hours ago, The Gaul said:

And some sobering news from the Zoe app, which now has over 4m users. After two weeks running at an average of 1400 new cases per day, this has significantly jumped to 2100. 

We need this vaccine. 

Screenshot_20200716-140906.jpg

I really hope this is a blip, it'd be just like these useless pricks to have eased the lockdown a couple of weeks too early. They also estimate that there are around 26K symptomatic cases currently, no idea what the proportion is to asymptomatic cases, but there could still be 50-100K people still with it I guess.

Edit: it fits in with the test data- the 7 day rolling average is about the same as it was 9-10 days ago.

41 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Man, the bootlickers really did put in a great performance in this thread.

Take away the tragic loss of human life and the financial and emotional impact that most will suffer as a result of Coronavirus... this thread delivered. 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Take away the tragic loss of human life and the financial and emotional impact that most will suffer as a result of Coronavirus... this thread delivered. 

Embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

I really hope this is a blip, it'd be just like these useless pricks to have eased the lockdown a couple of weeks too early. They also estimate that there are around 26K symptomatic cases currently, no idea what the proportion is to asymptomatic cases, but there could still be 50-100K people still with it I guess.

Edit: it fits in with the test data- the 7 day rolling average is about the same as it was 9-10 days ago.

Yeah, we can only hope it's a blip, but there had been significant drops week on week, I think it went something like 8k, 6k, 4k, 2k, 1.4k before it levelled last week at 1.4k again, so to see it rise this week's indicates we may have started to swing the other way and I would guess that means the R rate must be above 1 in places. We just really need that vaccine. 

Remember that just as the country was easing down and re-opening to a sense of normality, there was a spike in infections here in Leicester. By the time the government review it again in a couple of weeks, we'll have been in lockdown for over 4 months! They have eased it a little bit by passing the buck to local authorities to decide which non-essential retailers can re-open, and which areas of the city have to remain locked down. The government have said that schools and nurseries can re-open on the 24th. Pubs and restaurants must remain shut. Leicester's mayor is right in asking why the government have withheld all the data which suggests Leicester to be a Covid hotbed. If they knew of a problem, they should have shared that info and allowed the local heath authorities to plan ways to try and keep it under control. But no, they've fudged things and sent mixed messages, perfectly in keeping with their general mishandling of the situation.

Shocked I tell thee...

Magaluf: Partying Brits force strip to close

This time of year Magaluf is usually packed with tourists. 

Punta Ballena also known as the "strip" is where you might head out for a drink, bite to eat and then onto a nightclub.

But the authorities have decided to close it because people aren't following social distancing rules.

The Mayor of Calvià, Alfonso Rodríguez said: "We understand the concern, even the anger, of the affected business owners."

The move comes after videos showing German and British tourists partying in packed bars without face masks.

There was also a video of a man jumping up and down on a parked car.

The Mayor says he supports the decision to close, made by the Balearic Islands Regional Government. 

"Public health is really important," he said while reassuring people that it's a "safe destination". 

Three areas are closing altogether until September, including in the Palma Beach area, two streets known as Calle de la Cerveza and Calle del Jamon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-53430369