You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Oh look, the 'wear a mask you cunts' brigade are out on social media already. How energising.

I mean, with more and more evidence that masks are helping, the people who don't want to do it are very much approaching tory behaviour status. Oh, wearing a piece of fabric on my face is probably helping the greater good? Nah, fuck that it makes me uncomfortable. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I was talking to my Orthopaedic doctor this afternoon and he doubts they'll ever get a vaccine to eradicate Covid properly. OK, he's an Orthopaedic Dr but he does all his operations in one of the main hospitals and has conversations with those who work in that area. He also told me to still take precautions (which I do anyway) as there is a disturbing trend of patients who have had it and their antibodies are diminishing thus leading to worries of reinfection. 

I think he may well be right mate. I'm no expert obviously but if you don't get lasting immunity from the disease itself  must be difficult to get an effective vaccine. People will need multiple shots every year which is not going to be practical , or probably available, for most. I think we will get drugs to treat it and get better outcomes for many people

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean, with more and more evidence that masks are helping, the people who don't want to do it are very much approaching tory behaviour status. Oh, wearing a piece of fabric on my face is probably helping the greater good? Nah, fuck that it makes me uncomfortable. 

People should do what they're advised to do but at every stage you've had these cunts giving it the 'ffs sake wash your hands' 'stay the fuck home' then for desert you've had the constant whineing about people in parks and on beaches and then in bars and god knows what next.

(A) who are these people talking to? Seemingly the ether and existing echo chamber 

(B) they're complicit in helping to shift the blame from government onto ordinary folk. "Oooh yesh wear a FUCKING mask you cry babies!", erm, three months after it probably should have been introduced as policy by, erm, the government of the day and experts.

(C) they should just concentrate on their own shit, look after their own house rather than changing the world one hashtag at a time.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

People should do what they're advised to do but at every stage you've had these cunts giving it the 'ffs sake wash your hands' 'stay the fuck home' then for desert you've had the constant whineing about people in parks and on beaches and then in bars and god knows what next.

(A) who are these people talking to? Seemingly the ether and existing echo chamber 

(B) they're complicit in helping to shift the blame from government onto ordinary folk. "Oooh yesh wear a FUCKING mask you cry babies!", erm, three months after it probably should have been introduced as policy by, erm, the government of the day and experts.

(C) they should just concentrate on their own shit, look after their own house rather than changing the world one hashtag at a time.

People are scared and confused, of course there will be loads who will turn to being hysterical on the internet as a result. Masks seem to be a concrete way to reduce risk a little and still live your life in a somewhat regular fashion, of course people will be aggressive in wanting its implementation. 

The government issue is separate and 9/10 of them have been shit throughout this but it's also not great how many people don't seem to want to cooperate to do something that seemingly can have a big impact for the collective.

I posted yesterday about my work in this thread and how nothing was being done, and this is in a poorly ventilated indoor setting, basically the most likely place for the virus to spread. And come to find out there are employees in my team that are complaining about the fact we will eventually have to wear a mask and some of the higher ups are also not a fan. It's a joke and it's infuriating. There aren't many cases where my work is at, but I'll be worried for the next week+  about everyone I was exposed to yesterday with zero safety precautions. 

If I was a Twitter mong, I would have complained about that on there. Because it's a massive lack of giving a fuck about safety. I've told them i'm not coming back until masks are mandatory and thankfully my supervisor has agreed. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I think he may well be right mate. I'm no expert obviously but if you don't get lasting immunity from the disease itself  must be difficult to get an effective vaccine. People will need multiple shots every year which is not going to be practical , or probably available, for most. I think we will get drugs to treat it and get better outcomes for many people

Been saying that since the lockdown started. More money to be made from treatment than cure.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

People are scared and confused, of course there will be loads who will turn to being hysterical on the internet as a result. Masks seem to be a concrete way to reduce risk a little and still live your life in a somewhat regular fashion, of course people will be aggressive in wanting its implementation. 

The government issue is separate and 9/10 of them have been shit throughout this but it's also not great how many people don't seem to want to cooperate to do something that seemingly can have a big impact for the collective.

I posted yesterday about my work in this thread and how nothing was being done, and this is in a poorly ventilated indoor setting, basically the most likely place for the virus to spread. And come to find out there are employees in my team that are complaining about the fact we will eventually have to wear a mask and some of the higher ups are also not a fan. It's a joke and it's infuriating. There aren't many cases where my work is at, but I'll be worried for the next week+  about everyone I was exposed to yesterday with zero safety precautions. 

If I was a Twitter mong, I would have complained about that on there. Because it's a massive lack of giving a fuck about safety. I've told them i'm not coming back until masks are mandatory and thankfully my supervisor has agreed. 

Have some rep.

I wonder if any politicians in the know invest in mask making companies and such before bringing in rules about wearing masks or at least letting others know before hand what they're going to do, so financial rewards can be reaped. That's just masks an obvious thing during an obvious time, we know the actions of Jenrick saving his pal 40 million quid using his privvy information. Scam artists.

You ever wonder why people who clearly have zero interest in serving the public become public servants then see who gets to hold the keys to the treasure chest, it starts to make sense. They would gladly be the boot that stomps on the face of humanity for all of eternity because they fantasise about being the boot. Few politicians seem interested in making positive change at any level. 

38 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Now that fewer than 1 in 5,000 people have the disease, it's time to wear a thin piece of useless nylon over your face.

I get the distinct impression that you are not concerned at all. If Covid19 is not your kryptonite, what is?

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Oh look, the 'wear a mask you cunts' brigade are out on social media already. How energising.

You need a bit of that to counter the 'ITS MY FACE, I AM NOT A SHEEP, YOU CANT CONTROL ME' brigade though.

Yet another, bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted move by the government. That can't realistically be enforced properly anyway. 

I've been feeling more positive about the whole thing recently until I read the findings from the preparing for a challenging 20/21 Winter report earlier. Surely even this incompetent clusterfuck in charge can't get it so badly wrong second time round though? 

On 09/07/2020 at 22:30, Bruce Spanner said:

£252m of public money given to Ayanda Capital, registered in Mauritius for tax dodging, to supply PPE that never appeared.

£186m of public money given to Uniserve Ltd of Essex, the UK’s largest privately owned logistics and global trade management company, to supply PPE that never appeared.

£116m of public money given to P14 Medical Ltd of Liverpool, which had liabilities exceeding assets by £485,000 in December 2019 with just £145 in cash and at the bank, for PPE that never appeared.

£108m of public money given to PestFix, with 16 employees and net assets of £19,000, for PPE that never appeared.

£14.2m and a subsequent £93.2m of public money given to Clandeboye Agencies Ltd, a confectionery wholesaler in Co Antrim, for PPE that never appeared.

£40m of public money given to Medicine Box Ltd of Sutton-in-Ashfield, despite having assets of just £6,000 in March, for PPE that never appeared.

£32m and a subsequent £16m of public money given to Initia Ventures Ltd, filed for dormancy in January this year, for PPE that never appeared.

£28m of public money given to Monarch Acoustics Ltd of Nottingham, makers of shop and office furniture, for PPE that never appeared.

£25m of public money given to Luxe Lifestyle Ltd, to supply garments for biological or chemical protection to the NHS. According to Companies House, the business was incorporated by fashion designer Karen Brost in November 2018. It appears to have no employees, no assets and no turnover.

£18.4m of public money given to Aventis Solutions Ltd of Wilmslow, with just £322 in assets, for PPE that never appeared.

£10m of public money given to Medco Solutions Ltd, incorporated on 26 March (three days after lockdown) with a share capital of just £2, for PPE that never appeared.

£1.1m of public money given to Bristol shoemaker Toffeln Ltd, had seemingly never supplied any PPE whatsoever in the past, for PPE that never appeared.

£825,000 of pubic money given to MGP Advisory, described as a venture and development capital business that was in danger of being struck off the companies register for failing to file accounts, for no one knows what...

All from officials records.

This is just PPE, not the track and trace contracts, the fucking app fiasco. 

They are just transferring money to their friends, because, fuck it, why not, no cunt cares.

Monbiot in the Grun is at least trying to give it some publicity...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/15/coronavirus-contracts-government-transparency-pandemic

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Monbiot in the Grun is at least trying to give it some publicity...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/15/coronavirus-contracts-government-transparency-pandemic

This is absolutely scandalous and the lack of coverage it is getting is really concerning. At least it's finally made the Gruniad.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

This is absolutely scandalous and the lack of coverage it is getting is really concerning. At least it's finally made the Gruniad.

Imagine the things they’ll try with Brexit.

They’re already spending huge amounts public coffers on Dom’s favourite pass times, focus groups and AI algorithms, to consolidate their position, against every conceivable fair use of public money.

The satellite scandal will be the next to be buried. An absolute disaster.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2020/jun/26/satellite-experts-oneweb-investment-uk-galileo-brexit

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Some banter about a peer reviewed study in Nature that says over 50% of uninfected people tested had T cells from past Coronaviruses 17 years after they were infected and that these could provide some protection.

Yet the immunity form the current coronavirues now supposedly lasts up to 90 days. They should really make their mind up.

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

Yet the immunity form the current coronavirues now supposedly lasts up to 90 days. They should really make their mind up.

There are no studies on this yet, just anecdotal reports.

Clearly they should just give everyone the cold that protects you. YOu don't need a vaccine then and we can all crack on going to pubs and football matches.

11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

There are no studies on this yet, just anecdotal reports.

Clearly they should just give everyone the cold that protects you. YOu don't need a vaccine then and we can all crack on going to pubs and football matches.

I was thinking the other day, do we actually know much more than in February / March, or anything?