You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
12 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

Just seen that masks compulsory from 24th. That’s fine, what I don’t get is the delay, why the 24th, why not 20th, why not 14th? It just seems weird. Everything seems delayed or ‘from this date’. 
If it’s considered imperative why not from ‘now’?

This also happened over here in Germany, although the timeline wasn't so ridiculous. If my memory serves me right, it was mentioned on the news on a Thursday, went through the appropriate channels on the Friday and was implemented the following Monday. 

12 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

So how much do fucking masks cost then? Suppose I'll have to bastard well stock up now!

On a side issue to this, I'm genuinely concerned about the amount of waste this will create, as let's be honest, most people (me included probably) will use disposable masks! It's an environmental nightmare, especially with the scruffy cunts who ditch them on the floor!

Unbelievable the amount of surgical masks you see over here when you are out and about. lazy scruffy bastards dumping them on the ground when there's a bin 20 yards away! 

12 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

So how much do fucking masks cost then? Suppose I'll have to bastard well stock up now!

On a side issue to this, I'm genuinely concerned about the amount of waste this will create, as let's be honest, most people (me included probably) will use disposable masks! It's an environmental nightmare, especially with the scruffy cunts who ditch them on the floor!

You can buy washable ones from the LFC shop! About a fiver

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Have I got this right? You must wear a mask on the bus to town. You have to wear a mask whilst browsing books in Waterstones or buying underwear in Marks & Spencer. However, if you’re feeling hungry or thirsty, you can go to your favourite pub or restaurant, remove your mask and fill your boots. 

Yep and you'll be able to go the gym without your mask

On 13/07/2020 at 07:30, Section_31 said:

The bit I can't get my head around, the American news media are the worst for this, are that there's seemingly no way to escape some kind of prophecy of doom. 

"Covid cases at record highs - lockdowns back in effect"

So a headline like this is not based in fact?:

America shuts down again -- choosing reality over Trump's false claims

Masks are required in shops as the feeling is that this will help boost the economy as it would encourage people to go. 

Masks are not required in pubs as the feeling is that this will negatively impact the economy as it would discourage people from going. 

Chances are that, overall, not wearing masks is shops is safer than not wearing masks in pubs.

Welcome to Tory Britain. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Just 3 new infections in Scotland yesterday, and no deaths now for 6 days running.

Apparently Scotland are seriously considering not allowing holiday makers from England into Scotland unless they follow strict guidance designed to stop the spread of Covid-19 - a decision described by Boris Johnson as 'astonishing and shameful'.

That must mean it's the right decision.

11 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Apparently Scotland are seriously considering not allowing holiday makers from England into Scotland unless they follow strict guidance designed to stop the spread of Covid-19 - a decision described by Boris Johnson as 'astonishing and shameful'.

I think it's just a suggestion at the moment, but if the infection rate in England stays much higher than it is here then they probably would go ahead. It makes sense, you can't go in to Wales and ignore any additional restrictions there, and visitors from any one country to another would have to follow the local laws and guidance- cf your post here- 

Johnson's just grandstanding as usual.

18 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

It forgets that the world is a big place - that is 78 million deaths. Seems like alot.

Yes, agree entirely - that 1% will be mostly grandparents and parents, which seems forgotten when people say "Oh, it's just 1%, flu is as bad", etc.

With regard to German school children not having covid-19 antibodies, that might mean they had the virus 2 months ago and now no longer have the antibodies (I stress "might").

Guest Pistonbroke
50 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I'm sure his hypocrisy won't be lost on the Portuguese. 

138 deaths, 398 infections.

The number of people in hospitals and ventilated, and those in hospital but not ventilated also continues to fall. The next week or so is very important as the fallout from people drinking inside pubs/eateries becomes apparent.

24 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

138 deaths, 398 infections.

The number of people in hospitals and ventilated, and those in hospital but not ventilated also continues to fall. The next week or so is very important as the fallout from people drinking inside pubs/eateries becomes apparent.

Yeah but don't wear masks ....

Guest Pistonbroke

I was talking to my Orthopaedic doctor this afternoon and he doubts they'll ever get a vaccine to eradicate Covid properly. OK, he's an Orthopaedic Dr but he does all his operations in one of the main hospitals and has conversations with those who work in that area. He also told me to still take precautions (which I do anyway) as there is a disturbing trend of patients who have had it and their antibodies are diminishing thus leading to worries of reinfection.