You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

16 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Did you know that there are now more than 44,000 people been killed by this flu like virus and that it's possible that some of those caught it off of asymptomatic people? Did you also know that England accounts for the vast majority of those deaths across the UK? Did you also know that the vast majority of those asymptomatic cases are in England with a small minority in the rest of the UK? Did you also know that England is the only country in the UK that has eased the majority of the lockdown, even though their numbers are way higher than the rest of the UK combined? Did you also know that England has a prime minister who is well known to be a liar? Did you also know that all home countries except England have refused to completely ease lockdown until the numbers are genuinely low, in order to avoid rapid spikes like in other countries?

What? You did? Well, fuck my old boots. Is your name Nick Hancock? Or maybe that woman who wanted to pin it all on the scientists? Or maybe even Dominic Cummings? 

Yes, I did know all that. You can't change the past, but you can decide to stop being a maudlin, crybaby about the future. Despite the governments best efforts, we are in a much better place than we were, and much like Spain and Italy, we seem to have reached a level of saturation which makes it difficult for the virus to continue to spread.

You can be positive about the future without wanting to rim Boris Johnson you know?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Did you know that there are now more than 44,000 people been killed by this flu like virus and that it's possible that some of those caught it off of asymptomatic people?

Did you know that 44,000 is less than 7% of the total number of people who die in this country annually?

The lockdown thing is mad isn't it. There seems  to have been a golden few weeks and if you missed it, you're fucked. 

Greece, New Zealand etc were bang on the money and they've been able to reopen with seemingly no big repercussions, we missed it and suffered, America didn't even bother and seems fucked for the foreseeable. 

It gives you hope though that at least we've got some measure of control, if we'd locked down and things would have kept getting worse that would have been pretty scary shit. 

I'm on the same page as Adam S with this though, I don't see what's to be gained by the media constantly just scouting around for the doom monger's story of the day. The first wave wasn't even over and they were already on about a 'second wave'. 

I've said before that this has brought all the worst aspects of our society into focus, and a big part of that is fake news and clickbait media. It's very, very difficult to tell what's genuinely worrying news and what's just regurgitated scare stories. A lot of these stories, if you scan down, there'll be caveats in there such as 'doctors still aren't sure what it means, or if indeed, it means anything at all, one doctor said it's all bollocks - we had to put that in there fore balance'. 

That story the other week about a second swine flu having' pandemic potential was a case in point. Firstly, most if not all viruses have pandemic potential, and the story actually said 'there isn't a vaccine but experts say one could be repurposed if needed'. Most people don't read that though, they just reshare it on Facebook (which is what the news organisation wants) and go 'oooh could 2020 get any worse!'. 

Whenever I've been to the States me and my mates/Mrs have always said the same thing about their TV, that if you watched the news for longer than about half an hour it'd make you nuts, and god only knows how anyone watches it every day - but it's going like that here. Fear sells, but it's going to get to the point where everyone is so utterly despondent about everything there'll basically be no point getting out of bed, I don't see what purpose that serves. 

• Upvote 2

30-year-old dies after attending 'Covid party' in Texas

Patient said: ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not’, according to health official

Guardian staff

•  
  •  
  •  
Shares

Health officials and members of the military assist in Covid-19 testing in Texas

A 30-year-old patient died after attending a ‘“Covid party”, believing the virus to be a hoax, a Texas medical official has said.

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not,’” said Dr Jane Appleby, the chief medical officer at Methodist hospital in San Antonio.

Appleby said: “I don’t want to be an alarmist, and we’re just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realise that this virus is very serious and can spread easily.”

A “Covid party” is a gathering held by somebody diagnosed with coronavirus to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected, she explained.

Appleby said in her filmed comments at the weekend that she had been spurred to reveal the case after seeing a “concerning” rise in infections. She said 22% of tests were revealing a case of Covid-19, up from just 5% a few weeks ago.

A broader age range were being affected, with several 20 and 30 year olds critically ill at the Methodist hospital, she said.

“Please wear a mask, stay at home when you can, avoid groups of people and sanitise your hands,” said Appleby.

The call for caution came as top officials in Houston urged the city to lock back down as hospitals struggled to accommodate new coronavirus cases.

Houston mayor Sylvester Turner and Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said a stay-at-home order was needed for America’s fourth-largest city to cope with the surge.

Last week, Texas continued to break records for confirmed cases and deaths linked to the disease. State health officials reported 8,196 new cases on Sunday, another 80 deaths and a total of 10,410 people hospitalised due to the virus.

The decision over a lockdown, however, rests with Republican governor Greg Abbott, who has resisted this step, saying it should be a last resort.

Topics

40 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The lockdown thing is mad isn't it. There seems  to have been a golden few weeks and if you missed it, you're fucked. 

Greece, New Zealand etc were bang on the money and they've been able to reopen with seemingly no big repercussions, we missed it and suffered, America didn't even bother and seems fucked for the foreseeable. 

It gives you hope though that at least we've got some measure of control, if we'd locked down and things would have kept getting worse that would have been pretty scary shit. 

I'm on the same page as Adam S with this though, I don't see what's to be gained by the media constantly just scouting around for the doom monger's story of the day. The first wave wasn't even over and they were already on about a 'second wave'. 

I've said before that this has brought all the worst aspects of our society into focus, and a big part of that is fake news and clickbait media. It's very, very difficult to tell what's genuinely worrying news and what's just regurgitated scare stories. A lot of these stories, if you scan down, there'll be caveats in there such as 'doctors still aren't sure what it means, or if indeed, it means anything at all, one doctor said it's all bollocks - we had to put that in there fore balance'. 

That story the other week about a second swine flu having' pandemic potential was a case in point. Firstly, most if not all viruses have pandemic potential, and the story actually said 'there isn't a vaccine but experts say one could be repurposed if needed'. Most people don't read that though, they just reshare it on Facebook (which is what the news organisation wants) and go 'oooh could 2020 get any worse!'. 

Whenever I've been to the States me and my mates/Mrs have always said the same thing about their TV, that if you watched the news for longer than about half an hour it'd make you nuts, and god only knows how anyone watches it every day - but it's going like that here. Fear sells, but it's going to get to the point where everyone is so utterly despondent about everything there'll basically be no point getting out of bed, I don't see what purpose that serves. 

There do seem to be an awful lot of people who are absolute gluttons for any negativity. After the past five years or so I can understand that to some extent, but the fact we're more than six months into this thing and most of us are still alive probably suggests that this isn't going to be the end of humanity.

The sheer relish with which second waves keep being predicted is what gets me. We should be on our sixth or seventh second spike by now, after the VE Day Spike, the Bank Holiday spike, the Crowded Beaches spike, the Celebrating Liverpool Fans spike, the Shops Have Reopened spike and the Pubs Have Reopened spike. But deaths continue to drop, with a stubborn disregard for the prophesies of doom.

Oh, but there was a second wave with the Spanish flu they say, usually in the same breath with which they've been telling you that you can't compare covid to flu.

There's a minority of people, specifically the old and those with pre-existing illnesses, for whom the disease is really nasty and the risks are high. The focus from day one should have been on shielding those people while allowing the rest of the country to get on with their lives with as little disruption as possible. Instead they discharged sick people into care homes to free up hospital beds that were never going to be needed.

I hope the next epidemic, whenever it comes, is met with more rational heads on cooler shoulders.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Yes, I did know all that. You can't change the past, but you can decide to stop being a maudlin, crybaby about the future. Despite the governments best efforts, we are in a much better place than we were, and much like Spain and Italy, we seem to have reached a level of saturation which makes it difficult for the virus to continue to spread.

You can be positive about the future without wanting to rim Boris Johnson you know?

How on earth do you know that? If most of the tests being conducted are coming up as positive even though they are asymptomatic, how would you know that the person next to you is not carrying it? Are we to assume that anyone who is asymptomatic is not going to be spread it? If they are tested positive, will it go away by itself even though its host is still alive and well? 

I am positive about the future. I intend to be a part of it. Jumping in swimming pools, getting pissed in pubs and eating in a restaurant is not part of my positive future. If you want it as part of yours, go ahead. 

And Boris Johnson is a cunt who I have no intention of ever rimming. 

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Did you know that 44,000 is less than 7% of the total number of people who die in this country annually?

So what you're saying is that in 3 months he only managed to get a total score of just under 7% of annual deaths? Are you saying he needed more time and perhaps if he was given the full 12 months of the 'annual' mentioned he could have reached almost 28%?

I'm sure the families of the victims will be relieved to know he hasn't been given the full 12 months. Yet.

33 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There do seem to be an awful lot of people who are absolute gluttons for any negativity. After the past five years or so I can understand that to some extent, but the fact we're more than six months into this thing and most of us are still alive probably suggests that this isn't going to be the end of humanity.

The sheer relish with which second waves keep being predicted is what gets me. We should be on our sixth or seventh second spike by now, after the VE Day Spike, the Bank Holiday spike, the Crowded Beaches spike, the Celebrating Liverpool Fans spike, the Shops Have Reopened spike and the Pubs Have Reopened spike. But deaths continue to drop, with a stubborn disregard for the prophesies of doom.

Oh, but there was a second wave with the Spanish flu they say, usually in the same breath with which they've been telling you that you can't compare covid to flu.

There's a minority of people, specifically the old and those with pre-existing illnesses, for whom the disease is really nasty and the risks are high. The focus from day one should have been on shielding those people while allowing the rest of the country to get on with their lives with as little disruption as possible. Instead they discharged sick people into care homes to free up hospital beds that were never going to be needed.

I hope the next epidemic, whenever it comes, is met with more rational heads on cooler shoulders.

The bit I can't get my head around, the American news media are the worst for this, are that there's seemingly no way to escape some kind of prophecy of doom. 

"Covid cases at record highs - lockdowns back in effect"

"Lockdowns in effect - job markets tank" 

"Cure may never be found says boffin"

"Great depression looms says expert" 

What's the ultimate goal here? Mass suicide? 

The fact of the matter is that there's a virus out there which kills 1% of the population (and that was before mitigation measures such as new treatments were discovered). This is not meteor vs dinosaurs shit, saying so doesn't make you a Tory. 

1% of the US population is about 3.25 million. Their GDP has dropped by over a third. Unemployment has quadrupled in a few months. And that economic pain looks to be for naught as they re-opened way too early and the virus has come roaring back.

What good news would you like them to be reporting exactly?

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The bit I can't get my head around, the American news media are the worst for this, are that there's seemingly no way to escape some kind of prophecy of doom. 

"Covid cases at record highs - lockdowns back in effect"

"Lockdowns in effect - job markets tank" 

"Cure may never be found says boffin"

"Great depression looms says expert" 

What's the ultimate goal here? Mass suicide? 

The fact of the matter is that there's a virus out there which kills 1% of the population (and that was before mitigation measures such as new treatments were discovered). This is not meteor vs dinosaurs shit, saying so doesn't make you a Tory. 

You would get no argument from me that the mass media are a bunch of hysterical fannies - news sells and if there's no news, make it up. But the US and UK Govt have served this story up on a silver platter to them. The incompetence. The lies. The double standards. The previous warnings this could happen. The inaction when it was happening.

When things do return to some level of normality (and I'm sure it will, IMO that has not happened yet) to pin this on the media would not be fair in the slightest in this case. In fact, it would say more about world leaders' uses and labelling of the mass media than it would say about the media themselves.

The only thing you could point at the media is the use of wording to capture attention - but it's no different to the wording used by the 'Leaders'.

'Eat out to help out'

'Stay alert'

'Protect the NHS'

Like the UK Government have been 'protecting' the NHS for the last 20 years?

41 minutes ago, Mudface said:

1% of the US population is about 3.25 million. Their GDP has dropped by over a third. Unemployment has quadrupled in a few months. And that economic pain looks to be for naught as they re-opened way too early and the virus has come roaring back.

What good news would you like them to be reporting exactly?

Death of the president wouldn’t be the worst news? 

Just went back to my office today on "voluntary basis" which was hardly "voluntary" because they basically called me out to ask if I was coming back on Zoom in front of the whole team. Well, the security measures if you can even call them that are a fucking disgrace. Hand sanitizer and 2 people capacity for washrooms is the extent of it. No masks, no distancing. People were coming into my cubicle and parking themselves next to my face to talk. I wanted to clock them. Absolutely ridiculous. It's like barely anything's changed. 

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jul/13/heart-scans-of-covid-19-patients-show-range-of-abnormalities

Sound like really pleasant long-term effects await some of the people who have caught a bout of Covid-19.

And yet our PM who supposedly almost died from it made a miraculous recovery in no time at all and seems right as rain.

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

They'll be testing it in Salisbury before we know it.

Remember when that happened and the general consensus was ‘hold on, why would it be the Russians?’ With a Russian poison, trying to kill a Russian spy, by Russian agents, admiring English cathedrals.  

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Remember when that happened and the general consensus was ‘hold on, why would it be the Russians?’ With a Russian poison, trying to kill a Russian spy, by Russian agents, admiring English cathedrals.  

Was that the consensus though?

Virtually all the coverage I saw assumed (correctly) it was a Russian operation.