You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I seem to recall Nick Hancock saying pillar two figures take longer to receive, which was why the Leicester figures were so low. I'm guessing that was just a blag and now they're being included in the daily figures again?

I've no idea to be honest. The figures they release to the public always had both sets within the overall UK data, but PHE only reported Pillar 1 for England. Now England has both figures after the fuss last week. It's all a bit of a mess, probably because they have different providers involved with no doubt different ways of recording the figures.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

He's hoping we think its all over. 

That's the way I saw the cover up of figures, but now I don't know whether to believe the figures are complete or not. I understand testing is limiting the true figures but reporting reduced figures rather than actual figures is not out of bounds for them.

The 'red wall" is happy anyway, this chap because the stamp duty thing will let him downsize to a bungalow. And at least Brexit will halt immigration from EU countries such as Africa.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/08/imagine-the-state-wed-be-in-if-corbyn-had-been-in-charge-the-view-from-the-red-wall

He recently retired from the NHS, where he worked for years as an infectious diseases nurse. He felt able to vote Tory only after burying his dad – “He’d kill me!” – and said he was primarily motivated by a desire to cut immigration in a borough that is 97% white. “Whole sections of Leigh that are colonised with new entrants,” he said in March, claiming that when he used to do contact tracing for TB, almost all the new infections came from asylum seekers from Africa and the Middle East.

“Think of all the excess deaths we’ve had from Covid-19; more than 44,000 of them have been in my age group, the over-65s,” he said. “Surely the government has saved money as a result? That’s 44,000 fewer pensions the government is paying each week, plus they have probably saved a fortune in care home fees, too. I’d like to see that money going into the NHS, not just hospitality.”

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The 'red wall" is happy anyway, this chap because the stamp duty thing will let him downsize to a bungalow.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/08/imagine-the-state-wed-be-in-if-corbyn-had-been-in-charge-the-view-from-the-red-wall

He recently retired from the NHS, where he worked for years as an infectious diseases nurse. He felt able to vote Tory only after burying his dad – “He’d kill me!” – and said he was primarily motivated by a desire to cut immigration in a borough that is 97% white. “Whole sections of Leigh that are colonised with new entrants,” he said in March, claiming that when he used to do contact tracing for TB, almost all the new infections came from asylum seekers from Africa and the Middle East.

“Think of all the excess deaths we’ve had from Covid-19; more than 44,000 of them have been in my age group, the over-65s,” he said. “Surely the government has saved money as a result? That’s 44,000 fewer pensions the government is paying each week, plus they have probably saved a fortune in care home fees, too. I’d like to see that money going into the NHS, not just hospitality.”

It is true that old, thick, gullible, racists was a demographic that Corbyn was unlikely to ever win over.

Not sure how Starmer gets them back. 

I'd probably suggest just lying to them. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The 'red wall" is happy anyway, this chap because the stamp duty thing will let him downsize to a bungalow. And at least Brexit will halt immigration from EU countries such as Africa.

Read that this morning and felt like going out on a killing spree. Pure, crystallised brainwashing - so conditioned with the "Corbyn Is Bad, Corbyn Is Bad, Corbyn Is Bad" mantra that when they're confronted with an inept response to a crisis from an unqualified government, they're unable to criticise and resort to the only thing they know: "Well Jeremy Corbyn would have been worse."

There's no evidence that this would've been the case and it's also completely irrelevant to the question. But they've had ten years of blaming those not in power for the problems of those in power, so why change now?

24 minutes ago, Manny said:

Also the cunt who says that 44 thousand dead should lift the pension costs so new kitchen? Hope the cupboards are wonky and the drawers don't shut properly. Cunt.

One of the saddest parts is he works in the NHS.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/france-rules-out--total-lockdown--in-case-of-covid-surge-12914704

France rules out 'total lockdown' in case of COVID surge

PARIS: The French government said on Wednesday (Jul 8) it was girding for a possible surge in COVID-19 cases in coming months but would not respond to any new outbreak with another nationwide lockdown.

"My aim is to prepare France for a possible second wave while preserving our daily life, our economic and social life," new Prime Minister Jean Castex said in an interview on RTL television.

"But we're not going to impose a lockdown like the one we did last March, because we've learned ... that the economic and human consequences from a total lockdown are disastrous," he said.

Instead any business closures or stay-at-home orders would be "targeted" to specific areas, he said.

Still can’t get my head around the eat out , tenner off deal. Subsiding middle class diners to stuff their faces full of sea bass and fillet steak whilst millions are in poverty, living rough  or using food banks would even have Marie Antoinette spinning in her box . Just when you think the Tory cunts can’t get worse they come up with this wheeze to help their mates in the service industry lobby. Fucking plague on all their greedy self serving houses. 

14 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Sad and worrying.

Yeah , I dont understand why the labour party do not push the origins of the nhs down peoples throats. Especially those who work for it. Maybe I'm not being fair and they try but it's odd how people are so ignorant of the recent past 

Are businesses now using this as a handy opportunity to give workers the bullet? All I'm hearing on the news is burger king, boots, John Lewis etc saying they're shutting stores and getting rid of staff. Surely these businesses were making millions in profits before March - are they saying that's all run out and things will never be the same? Or are they just housekeeping under the cover of a crash? 

If they're not bringing in as much money, they can't employ as many people. Pretty basic economics.

I mean, John Lewis is a worker's cooperative. If they're shedding jobs, then you know the money isn't there to keep them.

15 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Are businesses now using this as a handy opportunity to give workers the bullet? All I'm hearing on the news is burger king, boots, John Lewis etc saying they're shutting stores and getting rid of staff. Surely these businesses were making millions in profits before March - are they saying that's all run out and things will never be the same? Or are they just housekeeping under the cover of a crash? 

I read about gas/electric companies having to invest in green power and at the same time there will be something like a £200 reduction in bills for energy. The primary concern for the power companies was that this would deter investors from putting their money into power companies as they are less likely to see massive profits from their investments.

Unfortunately I suspect that this whole retail purge is effectively along the same lines. They probably still have lots of money but they know most of it will be used to pay their investors, while wanting to ensure they get more in the future.

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If they're not bringing in as much money, they can't employ as many people. Pretty basic economics.

I mean, John Lewis is a worker's cooperative. If they're shedding jobs, then you know the money isn't there to keep them.

How did they get on during the flu?