You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

I think it's way too soon to be confidently declaring anyone's strategy a success. New Zealand can't cut itself off from the rest of the world forever. It's obviously great that they've managed to limit the impact thus far, albeit aided immensely by the fact they are sparsely populated and geographically isolated, but let's see what the situation is like in two or three years.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think it's way too soon to be confidently declaring anyone's strategy a success. New Zealand can't cut itself off from the rest of the world forever. It's obviously great that they've managed to limit the impact thus far, albeit aided immensely by the fact they are sparsely populated and geographically isolated, but let's see what the situation is like in two or three years.

So basically everyone needs to ban UK visitors permanently to be safe in the long term

37 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

So basically everyone needs to ban UK visitors permanently to be safe in the long term

I know you're drinking the Orban Kool-Aid these days, but it would be indubitably idiotic to ban people whose exposure to the virus means they're carrying greater immunity than most.

20 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I know you're drinking the Orban Kool-Aid these days, but it would be indubitably idiotic to ban people whose exposure to the virus means they're carrying greater immunity than most.

Scientists have definitively confirmed how immunity works around Covid this morning? That’s incredible news. The most important breakthrough so far. Could you point me to the study which clarified the details on this please mate, I have a few plans to base around it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

if you’re all immune, why do you have Europe’s highest daily infection numbers?

Genuine question, but where cases are spiking and some places are re-entering lockdown we're not really seeing the kind of scenes we had earlier in the year in hospitals in the likes of New York, Spain and Lombardy are we? I think Italy had about eight deaths yesterday and they lifted their lockdown a few weeks back. Is it possible this new virulent strain is easier to catch but less deadly? 

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Everybody's favorite Brazilian bellend Bolsonaro has tested positive.

I was just reading about that, not exactly main news on the BBC, they seem captivated about the director of the FBI having a pop at China. I wonder if Bolsonaro still thinks it's a little Flu. 

30 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Genuine question, but where cases are spiking and some places are re-entering lockdown we're not really seeing the kind of scenes we had earlier in the year in hospitals in the likes of New York, Spain and Lombardy are we? I think Italy had about eight deaths yesterday and they lifted their lockdown a few weeks back. Is it possible this new virulent strain is easier to catch but less deadly? 

Nobody knows- the most susceptible might have already had it and died in swathes so the people getting it now might be better placed to handle it, they might be better isolated and protected, treatment might be better now doctors have more of a handle on what works and what doesn't, testing might be identifying many more cases than previously etc etc. We also don't know if this is a different strain or not as it's still really in its first wave. You'd think if it was then there would be sufficient differences in its genome to say so though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Not forever no but maybe long enough to find a vaccine or effective treatment.

Meanwhile they are trying to find ways to boost the economy, and tourism, domestically and not be so heavily reliant on overseas products and people. 

NZ seems willing to change it's system to save it's people, not sacrifice it's people to save it's system like this shithole.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

This Doctor (Mike Hansen) produced a video on all of this, effectively describing COVID-19 as a mimic virus that can take any form that it wants to. This is based on a number of autopsy findings...

16 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

No £500 high street vouchers, by the looks of it. 

There's no way that the Tories are getting my vote now... 

Pretty woful that, limited and unimaginative. The Tories will be happy with 4+ million unemployed. Even the youth employment scheme was nowhere near what is required. Unsurprisingly the biggest help went to homeowners who the Tories know make up many of their core voters.

Once we're back to 1980's levels of unemployment the Tories aided by the media will blame this squarely on the undeserving work shy unemployed masses. I can just hear them rolling out that it's time for the unemployed to get on their bikes.....

6 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Only valid Monday to Wednesday. 

Feels like a tease for the people who have returned to work...

f5bad742528c08e0e8e9db91fc656f2e.gif

...unless it counts for the evenings too, in which case it's more...

o_ZCEi.gif