You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

47 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It occurs to me that the government closing Leicester down off the back of an increased number of positive tests creates a perverse incentive for people to avoid getting tested. Now people will have to balance getting tested with the consequences of what will happen if enough of those tests are positive.

There seem to be a huge number of asymptomatic cases too... there is actually an argument to increase shielding and let everyone else crack on now.

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

There seem to be a huge number of asymptomatic cases too... there is actually an argument to increase shielding and let everyone else crack on now.

There are 2 million people shielding, that's not going to work unless the rest of the population are in lockdown.

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

Whatever happened to those Kawasaki-syndrome cases in children that NY reported loads of in the early days of their peak? 

Interesting watching all the layoffs rolling in now. In some European countries part of the furlough deal was that you had to not lay staff off.

Over here though, obviously, they've taken the furlough money, sometimes fiddled the scheme itself, then laid people off or redrawn their terms of employment.

I guarantee Johnson's new deal too will just be a 'bonfire of the regulations' so big companies and donors can chow down. 

It'll be a case study in disaster capitalism this next few years. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, as good as the furlough scheme has been in the short term it was clearly going to be the case that companies were going to take it and then make people redundant as soon as they could or had to start making contributions. Plenty of places are starting to make redundancies to avoid even making the NI contributions that kick in in August.

The construction/design consultancy industry is about to take an absolute fucking battering, as always.

I'm taking part in, and hearing, discussions on outbreak management.  Let me tell you, it's back of a fag packet stuff. 

We've been asked to set-up Local Outbreak Engagement Boards, otherwise known as Local Outbreak Board, or LOB's or LOEB's, or confusingly, in Devon they have called it Team Devon.  There is literally zero guidance from the government or the Director of Public Health on how to set one up, or what it does, and so local authorities are guessing how to set them up, and how to run them, and what they do. 

Major incidents were declared by almost every local authority as a result of c19 originally, and as of this week many have stepped down their 'major incident' status, as they are now confident that agencies on their own can deal with outbreak management.  

In the case of LOEBs, it's a politician job, it's the mouthpiece for the Health Protection Boards, which are the ones with the power to do things.  The LOEB's are full of councillors, and business reps, and community leaders, and they are supposed to help the HPBs by providing local knowledge, and how to make their broad ideas work on the ground in each town/city/village.  

However, the LOEBs can be ignored, and there's no clear mechanism for them to interract with the HPBs.

There's also no clear way of scrutinising the advice of the Director of Public Health in any region.  In some cases, the DPH has no medical background, they are political or strategic positions, and they do get things wrong.  

But lets get this clear, there will be no lockdown after this point.  Regional lockdowns are impossible to properly implement.  

Wear your masks, wash your hands. 

• Upvote 1

This hiding of the pillar 2 testing is a fucking outrage. Massive jump in the numbers of people testing positive in Runcorn and Widnes now the actual data has been released, no doubt this will be the same for large parts of England. It’s only going to get worse with everything opening up from tomorrow, especially the booozers.

5 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

This hiding of the pillar 2 testing is a fucking outrage. Massive jump in the numbers of people testing positive in Runcorn and Widnes now the actual data has been released, no doubt this will be the same for large parts of England. It’s only going to get worse with everything opening up from tomorrow, especially the booozers.

Yeah but Super Saturday mate. 

I think the gist is that we need to get back to 'some sort' of normality and pubs/cafes are a big part of the economy. People looking at things from a purely health perspective won't like that, that's not their job, from a purely WHO/SAGE perspective the logic is that you should essentially stay home until a vaccine is found. That's their filter, it's an understandable one, but it's no different to a skin cancer expert saying you should never go in the sun, or a liver expert saying you should never drink, or a heart doctor saying you should never - ever - have a bacon butty. That's how they roll, and rightly so. 

That being said, all this Super Saturday stuff has cynically been designed to promote excess and bad behaviour. The camera crews will be out in force so that, if there is a spike, it's our fault. 

(1) need to get back to business 

(2) If we do and people die, it will look like we value money over lives (we do, but that's still bad PR) 

(3) Let's go through the motions, hand sanitizers at the checkouts, lots of footage and pictures of people spewing up in beer gardens. 

(4) Shake head disapprovingly

(5) Go back to bed in Chequers and send dirty texts to isabel oakenshileld 

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Was watching the Independent Sage meeting earlier.

New case rates are no longer declining.

Estimating 25,000 new cases a week.

Interesting take on the 2nd wave given.  There won't be a noticeable one, it will be a magnitude less than what we already experienced. 

The Zoe app has the nu.ber of new cases down again this week, it was running I think at 2400 last week. There's so much conflicting data about. 

Screenshot_20200703-151203.jpg

Honestly, if you're going the fucking pub this week then you're a fucking dickhead. 

For many it will just be a statement outing, there will be swivel-eyed goons sat outside pubs with pints and trying hard to look heroic but relaxed, hoping you'll notice and shout "well done mate" to them as you pass by. 

Although I'm not sure how they're going to guard statues and go the boozer, must be some rota. 

• Upvote 2

I had a text from a local near me. It was saying you have to enter the pub through one door, leave through another. Only 3(I think) people in the toilet. Leave all your details on the door when you enter the pub - which seems a recipe to have your house robbed while you're having a pint to me. Once the pub is full you have to queue outside and wait till a space frees up. No standing in the pub or mixing with anyone other than on your table. Table service only and it will likely be slow. Sounds fucking shit. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

I had a text from a local near me. It was saying you have to enter the pub through one door, leave through another. Only 3(I think) people in the toilet. Leave all your details on the door when you enter the pub - which seems a recipe to have your house robbed while you're having a pint to me. Once the pub is full you have to queue outside and wait till a space frees up. No standing in the pub or mixing with anyone other than on your table. Table service only and it will likely be slow. Sounds fucking shit. 

There's literally no point going. People will flock though like the sheep they are.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

There's literally no point going. People will flock though like the sheep they are.

I don't get how it's better than drinking at home, well except you can probably have a choice of ale that suits you at home and you won't spend half the night queueing for the bog. You're dead right though, they'll be rammed with the same cunts who were queueing for 2 hours to go to b&q or Primark.