You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Got ya, glad it’s manageable. 

It's highlighted the shit working/living conditions that these meat factories employ and caused a national uproar, so ironically some good might/should come out of it as ministers jostle to play their 'I'll sort this out to gain kudos' card. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Section_31 said:

Yeah it seems like our press is overreacting as usual. R rate so low in Germany that local testing and spikes send it high. 

That is basically it mate. If you look at the usual suspects within the UK media they are all to quick to jump on what they perceive as negative news from abroad whilst ignoring the shit state of the country they should be tasking more of an interest in. It's quite clear they have employed this agenda throughout this pandemic. They also jump on the BLM and right wing rallies as it is an easy distraction and they can get the people to fight amongst themselves whilst the sitting Government are let off the hook. Obviously I can't speak for local media outlets. 

Well known epidemiologist and “Brexit hard man” Steve Baker wants those of us working from home to go back to the office so that we can all prop up Pret A Manger by going back to buying their overpriced sandwiches and coffee. My message to the thick twat is “get fucked”. It’s saving me a packet working from home, and I don’t have to see some of the arseholes I’m forced to work with.

• Upvote 7

Wrapping up, Johnson says our understanding of the virus has changed - and our ability to fight it.

He says test and trace can be a real *game-changer*.

I think we can absolutely guarantee it won't be then, considering all the other game changers have been shite.

7 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

No more daily press briefings. Pulled the pin, now it's time to RUN AWAY!

Yeah, spot on. Completely absolving themselves of accountability, it'll be 'our' fault if we see another increase as we didn't follow the guidance....

The Government reported 874 new cases today. In addition, 47 new cases have been added to the total case number after a revision of historical data for Pillar 1. Due to improvements in how the coronavirus death data is processed in England, a further 109 deaths that occurred in April, May and June 2020 have been confirmed in addition to 166 new deaths reported to PHE today. So the cumulative deaths total is 109 higher than if you added the daily figure to yesterday’s total. [source] [source]

25 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

No more daily press briefings. Pulled the pin, now it's time to RUN AWAY!

17 minutes ago, Vector Sigma said:

Yeah, spot on. Completely absolving themselves of accountability, it'll be 'our' fault if we see another increase as we didn't follow the guidance....

And parliament will close for 6 weeks in the summer, so they’ll have no accountability or real scrutiny at all.

The line from the Department for Public Health is that community transmission is very low, which points to just how deep this whole thing has been in care homes and hospitals.  I get the distinct impression that it's been far worse than reported in those settings, which is fucking bad enough, but I think it's actually worse.

Sort of explains what we saw today, seemingly a very quick leap from lock-down into a pseudo-normality in communities, which seems to suggest that they've known for quite a while that most of the virus was confined in certain settings, and were aiming to keep it that way. 

23 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Due to the crisis caused by the meat production firm Tönnies, the Ministerpräsident for Nord-Rhein Westfalen has ordered  a harder Lockdown for Gütersloh and the surrounding areas until at least the 30th June. 

They'll have serious beef with him for that.

• Upvote 1

On 23/06/2020 at 20:02, Pistonbroke said:

Due to the crisis caused by the meat production firm Tönnies, the Ministerpräsident for Nord-Rhein Westfalen has ordered  a harder Lockdown for Gütersloh and the surrounding areas until at least the 30th June. 

Are they at least discounting their steak?   I had a field day in London during mad cows.

• Upvote 1

HuffPost are reporting on some leaked documents which state that the government aren't/can't be entirely sure that the R number has dropped below 1. Yet, they've decided to significantly ease social distancing measures anyway. 

It looks like they still want to do herd immunity. Hardly anybody seems to give that much of a shit anymore. And that seems to tie in with the government messaging that things are improving. Although, they're not really sure if they actually are. 

Twats. 

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

HuffPost are reporting on some leaked documents which state that the government aren't/can't be entirely sure that the R number has dropped below 1. Yet, they've decided to significantly ease social distancing measures anyway. 

It looks like they still want to do herd immunity. Hardly anybody seems to give that much of a shit anymore. And that seems to tie in with the government messaging that things are improving. Although, they're not really sure if they actually are. 

Twats. 

They may well do, but I'm struggling to see what alternative people seem to want or see when they're criticising lockdowns being ended. It's the same In Ireland to an extent too. Things have been closed for months and they won't open again if they stayed closed. We have to move on and live with this otherwise the alternative is everyone sitting indoors and not having any social interaction until cases hit zero which is never going to happen. Our society isn't sustainable on things being closed.   

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

They may well do, but I'm struggling to see what alternative people seem to want or see when they're criticising lockdowns being ended. It's the same In Ireland to an extent too. Things have been closed for months and they won't open again if they stayed closed. We have to move on and live with this otherwise the alternative is everyone sitting indoors and not having any social interaction until cases hit zero which is never going to happen. Our society isn't sustainable on things being closed.   

They are if we have clear guidance, clear and effective tracking, the potential to isolate small communities and a concise and dogged approach to ending this fucking thing.

Our government have neither the ability nor desire to implement any of these.

We could and should have been out of the woods weeks back if anything had been handled in a semi competent way. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They are if we have clear guidance, clear and effective tracking, the potential to isolate small communities and a concise and dogged approach to ending this fucking thing.

Our government have neither the ability nor desire to implement any of these.

We could and should have been out of the woods weeks back if anything had been handled in a semi competent way. 

But the point is we're probably not going to be out of the woods for a while yet regardless of what happens. They have completely fucked up and you're first sentence is the most important part is a way of allowing some sort of normality to happen. I just don't understand the reasoning of 'they have completely fucked up so opening up things is also fucking it up' without offering any sort of alternative like we can completely pause life not expecting other problems to arise.