You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

22 hours ago, Stickman said:

Think it might be time to close this thread down as according to Sid James tribute act Lord Alan Sugar COVID-19 is maybe a hoax as he hasn’t died from it his wife hasn’t died from it nor knows anyone who has ..

Maybe should have stopped when he said “I’m not a doctor”....

He also doesn’t know anyone who’s died of cancer so maybe it’s time should stop investing in research into that

Bloody hell he must be the only person in the world who doesn’t know anyone who has died of cancer. I can’t believe that.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Stickman said:

Think it might be time to close this thread down as according to Sid James tribute act Lord Alan Sugar COVID-19 is maybe a hoax as he hasn’t died from it his wife hasn’t died from it nor knows anyone who has ..

Maybe should have stopped when he said “I’m not a doctor”....

He also doesn’t know anyone who’s died of cancer so maybe it’s time should stop investing in research into that

How does someone that fucking thick get so rich?

I miss restaurants most of all too.
A big part of me going to a shopping centre is having some nice food!

I hate buying clothes online as I hate sending things back but as the changing rooms are closed anyway I’m not rushing back either.

10 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Death toll over 1000 for twenty two consecutive days, with one day close to 1500, after full picture emerges.

Well colour me shocked, they were fudging the figures!

Risible cunts.

Where did you get this from? 

I miss being furloughed. 

Outrageous I know. It was fucking great though being a human being for a while. 

I don't need to put a disclaimer about human lives and pain caused, the economic impact do I, just take it as a given I'm not a soulless thoughtless and heartless bastard. Just one thing out of all this was though, it was fucking beautiful not to be chained to a company, to bills, to a minimum of 40 hours a week prisoned in a routine in a job I utterly detest surrounded by people who grate on my fucking nerves. I have never had more than 2 weeks off since I was 16. Mentally physically it's the best I've ever felt and in the eye of an absolute shit storm for so many. 

Says more about my life than it does a pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

52 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I miss being furloughed. 

Outrageous I know. It was fucking great though being a human being for a while. 

I don't need to put a disclaimer about human lives and pain caused, the economic impact do I, just take it as a given I'm not a soulless thoughtless and heartless bastard. Just one thing out of all this was though, it was fucking beautiful not to be chained to a company, to bills, to a minimum of 40 hours a week prisoned in a routine in a job I utterly detest surrounded by people who grate on my fucking nerves. I have never had more than 2 weeks off since I was 16. Mentally physically it's the best I've ever felt and in the eye of an absolute shit storm for so many. 

Says more about my life than it does a pandemic.

Me too, the weather through May made it even better, I got to spend a lot more time with my son too who lives with my ex.

I was genuinely upset when I got the phonecall asking me to go back and I realised that I'll never get to spend this much time with him ever again. 

Unless my ex carks it of course. 

Not that I've been thinking about that scenario. 

giphy (20).gif

• Like 2
  • Upvote 13

7 hours ago, Captain Milk said:

With the odd rare exception I’ve not visited clothes shops for as far back as I can remember. Online, send it back if it doesn’t fit/suit. Any postage costs are a not being surrounded by pushing, selfish twats/potentially having some silly cunt holding up items of clothes at me tax. I’ve long been happy with that deal, let alone when loads of places let you return for free now anyway. Likewise anything I don’t need there and then, like a packet of screws or a lightbulb or whatever, usually get it online and spare myself a trip.

Would still go out food shopping, wander round B&Q type places now and then, check out larger purchase items like furniture/electronics and do an occasional scout of your TK Maxx style places where random bargains can be had on odds and ends. And obviously eating out really is one of life’s greatest simple pleasures.

In the main though, I find the whole concept of shopping as a leisure activity in and of itself bizarre anyway. Aside from the not exactly revelatory fact it’s all about draining your pockets, it’s a purely functional get in, get out, get away thing for me. Generally conducted with the same brisk, matter-of-fact efficiency with which Shippers took down pensioners.  

Not being superior, if someone else gets joy from it then more power to you, all about doing what you like. Covid won’t be changing a single thing for me with relation to that stuff though, and if there was a way it could bankrupt cunts like Phillip Green overnight I’d gladly forego ever entering such shops again, even when I do need a spare pair of emergency trousers for a funeral or whatever. I’d gladly turn up in a set of Bermuda shorts with the arse hanging out and break the heart of a grieving widow, if it put Sir Phillip Egg-Cunt out on the street. Rambling now.

Record shops and book shops, especially independent ones, are great. I’m not arsed about the rest and certainly wouldn’t shop in them at peak times.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

“They were saying things were more rosy than they actually were. The most important thing when you are running any crisis of this kind is truth and honesty. The only way to maintain the moral authority of the government. This is the most disastrous handling of any serious challenge to a government for 100 years.”

9 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

“They were saying things were more rosy than they actually were. The most important thing when you are running any crisis of this kind is truth and honesty. The only way to maintain the moral authority of the government. This is the most disastrous handling of any serious challenge to a government for 100 years.”

Because I truly despise the cunts I’ll disavow any evidence and say this is the worst ever.

Their moral authority was obliterated the moment that fucking charlatan Alex was anointed leader by manipulating a fractured populous.

The seeds were sown.

Only today a new report came out about how ‘bored’ he was by the entire thing and wanted it over and how eager ‘’they’ are to replace him at the first opportunity.

It’s just beyond belief now. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

It seems more and more likely that outdoor transmission is very minimal. Indoor is a big problem. 

I reckon the tube, the tram, pubs and big enclosed offices are where the magic happens. Outdoor shit and big shops I reckon you're alright.

• Upvote 1

Of course they didn’t speak to the tech companies first. Don’t Apple and Google realise who they are dealing with?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/19/apple-and-google-not-told-of-uk-plans-to-use-their-tech-with-nhs-app

Apple and Google did not know the UK government planned to build a “hybrid model” bringing their contact-tracing system together with the NHS app until Matt Hancock promised to do so on television.

While the California companies knew the UK was about to change course and begin using their tech, senior figures had no idea that the health secretary would claim that there were problems with their system in determining how far apart phones were.

They also did not know that app chief Dido Harding would claim to have “developed new distance technology that will enhance the Apple/Google version”.

In a statement, a Department of Health and Social Care spokesperson said: “NHSX [the health service’s technology unit] has been working with Google and Apple extensively … There is a commitment between the teams to work together to improve the distance measurement technology, which is integral to have a fully functioning contact-tracing app.”

That new distance technology would be the only material outcome of the more than £11m spent on the first version of the app, according to government contacts with the companies contracted to build it. More than half that money, £6.5m, went to German consultancy Zuhlke Engineering, which was also involved in building the second version of the app.

“Our response to this virus has and will continue to be as part of an international effort,” said Harding, the head of NHS test and trace, and Matthew Gould, CEO of NHSX, on Thursday.

“That is why as part of a collaborative approach we have agreed to share our own innovative work on estimating distance between app users with Google and Apple, work that we hope will benefit others, while using their solution to address some of the specific technical challenges identified through our rigorous testing.”

The suggestion that the system doesn’t work well enough to use nationwide caused particular confusion. Apple told the Times: “It is difficult to understand what these claims are as they haven’t spoken to us.” The same system is already in use in Germany and Italy. “There have been loads of field tests by public health authorities that have shown it works effectively,” one person involved with the project said.

The leader of Germany’s app team, SAP chief technology officer Jürgen Müller, told reporters on Tuesday that “in the last test series, we were able to correctly estimate around 80% of the encounters”. That error rate, of around 20%, is “more than justifiable”, the federal minister of health, Jens Spahn, said, according to German news site Golem. “It is better to test too much than too little.”

But the UK government believes that it can reduce the error rate if it can convince the Apple/Google team to loosen one restriction in the tools they make available.

Currently, Britain’s developers are struggling to consistently use the tools to distinguish between contacts at a 1 metre distance, which ought to trigger self-isolation under government guidelines, and contacts at a 3 metre distance, which ought not trigger a warning.

The problem lies in variations between different models of mobile phone, which send out the Bluetooth signals used for the tracking at slightly different strengths. In the original NHS app, the make and model of phone was included in the system, allowing the app to alter its estimates accordingly.

But the Apple-Google system doesn’t allow that information to be sent out as part of the tracking system, in order to prevent users from being tracked by malicious actors, according to a person with knowledge of the system. “Any change that affects an entire operating system’s security and privacy properties will be really hard to get through Apple and Google organisationally,” the person said