You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Manny said:

My favourite one was one of the supermarkets cutting the price of fuel as their “way of saying thank you to key workers.”

Nothing to do with the fact that oil suppliers were literally paying to give it away, you see. No, they were slashing the price of fuel FOR THE HEROES.

The Just Eat adverts are the best. 

"We've been delivering pizza to medical staff". 

In other words, some medical staff ordered a pizza and you delivered it, which is your business model. 

Besides which, nothing says thanks to medical staff quite like food saturated in fats. 

• Upvote 1

Rowan Foods in Wrexham has had 38 cases confirmed. They've been at pains to explain that this has not spread through the working environment. I was a bit baffled, but I spoke to a lad I know who used to work there and he said there are loads of Eastern Europeans who live together and will go to work even if they are at death's door.

So of the 93 cases in North Wales in the last 3 days 69 have come from food factories.

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Rowan Foods in Wrexham has had 38 cases confirmed. They've been at pains to explain that this has not spread through the working environment. I was a bit baffled, but I spoke to a lad I know who used to work there and he said there are loads of Eastern Europeans who live together and will go to work even if they are at death's door.

So of the 93 cases in North Wales in the last 3 days 69 have come from food factories.

Is this the result of mass testing do you know? Or are they symptomatic?

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

Image may contain: text

it was Cummings' mate that got the gig wasn't it? That's how it works, it doesn't matter if it's fit for purpose or not, someone just has to get paid. 

It will transpire that all these "wartime measures" adopted to push through purchase orders to get us ready for the peak will have resulted in huge sums of our money ending up under the bed in the cayman Islands. Capita, G4S, ferry companies with no boats, all those cuts and more, nailed on. The corruption is out in the open now.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

it was Cummings' mate that got the gig wasn't it? That's how it works, it doesn't matter if it's fit for purpose or not, someone just has to get paid. 

It will transpire that all these "wartime measures" adopted to push through purchase orders to get us ready for the peak will have resulted in huge sums of our money ending up under the bed in the cayman Islands. Capita, G4S, ferry companies with no boats, all those cuts and more, nailed on. The corruption is out in the open now.

It doesn't bode well for post Brexit mate, imagine the deals this lot will sign the UK up to as long as they get a nice backhander. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Tell me about it pal. The place is fucked.

Their incompetence is shocking, even the Sky German footie commentator pointed out what a rubbish job they had done with Covid when the first game back was aired over here. Despite their antics plenty of people are still buying into them purely down to Brexit and their belief Britain will be great again, and everyone is jealous of the Union Jack, beggars belief. The arrogance is just laughed at over here, embarrassing as fuck. 

Guest Pistonbroke

There's a huge scandal going on over here, basically in the City area just 25 minutes up the road from us. 

Tönnies is the biggest slaughterhouse in Germany and they found 657 positive cases amongst their workers. Massive critic against the whole of the meat production industry in Germany

19 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Virus 'was already in Italy in December'

In Italy traces of coronavirus have been found in samples taken from sewage water in Milan and Turin in December, according to a study by Italy’s Higher Health Institute (ISS).

Fucking hell. Not a surprise though.

It's alarming how quick it seemed to spread in England in March and April once it got a foothold. 

Anyone been out lately since the shops and stuff have reopened? We went to the retail park yesterday, I was expecting to feel emancipated but was largely underwhelmed, not because of the new measures but because I hadn't missed it. Oooh look, t-shirts. I think the only thing I've genuinely missing is a good restaurant meal, the pictures and trips to Wales, the rest I can live without.  

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Anyone been out lately since the shops and stuff have reopened? We went to the retail park yesterday, I was expecting to feel emancipated but was largely underwhelmed, not because of the new measures but because I hadn't missed it. Oooh look, t-shirts. I think the only thing I've genuinely missing is a good restaurant meal, the pictures and trips to Wales, the rest I can live without.  

I'm with you. I miss the pub and a meal. The shops can fuck off. 

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I've missed shit pints of lager with my mates.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Not done a thing different mate and won't for a good while I expect. Our work are talking 2/3 days a week back in the office from maybe mid-july time so I doubt I'll change my routine until that happens. I'm even ok with not going to match or the pub for it for the rest of this season. Obviously it would be great to be in amongst it for the celebrations when its sealed but I'll be happy enough sat with a nice bottle of brandy, whimpering over a Bill Shankly documentary on YouTube at 3am. 

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I popped into town after work yesterday, the long queues of Monday seem to have been a one-off because it wasn't very busy at all. Most outlets seem to just have the exact same stock they did when they closed, so it's all a bit meh. Disney Store was the only shop I saw requiring face coverings.

As soon as they open the restaurants I'll be there like a shot.

• Upvote 1

With the odd rare exception I’ve not visited clothes shops for as far back as I can remember. Online, send it back if it doesn’t fit/suit. Any postage costs are a not being surrounded by pushing, selfish twats/potentially having some silly cunt holding up items of clothes at me tax. I’ve long been happy with that deal, let alone when loads of places let you return for free now anyway. Likewise anything I don’t need there and then, like a packet of screws or a lightbulb or whatever, usually get it online and spare myself a trip.

Would still go out food shopping, wander round B&Q type places now and then, check out larger purchase items like furniture/electronics and do an occasional scout of your TK Maxx style places where random bargains can be had on odds and ends. And obviously eating out really is one of life’s greatest simple pleasures.

In the main though, I find the whole concept of shopping as a leisure activity in and of itself bizarre anyway. Aside from the not exactly revelatory fact it’s all about draining your pockets, it’s a purely functional get in, get out, get away thing for me. Generally conducted with the same brisk, matter-of-fact efficiency with which Shippers took down pensioners.  

Not being superior, if someone else gets joy from it then more power to you, all about doing what you like. Covid won’t be changing a single thing for me with relation to that stuff though, and if there was a way it could bankrupt cunts like Phillip Green overnight I’d gladly forego ever entering such shops again, even when I do need a spare pair of emergency trousers for a funeral or whatever. I’d gladly turn up in a set of Bermuda shorts with the arse hanging out and break the heart of a grieving widow, if it put Sir Phillip Egg-Cunt out on the street. Rambling now.

• Upvote 2