You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

I think one big thing that helped New Zealand is they are about 46 people per square mile in terms of density, the UK is around 650. Things like this kind of make a difference. 

They were discussing this on Jeremy Vine yesterday on Radio 1. Doesn't take away the fact that our government have reacted and behaved awfully. There has to be a public inquest after it all dies down, there fucking has to be. 

30 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think one big thing that helped New Zealand is they are about 46 people per square mile in terms of density, the UK is around 650. Things like this kind of make a difference. 

They were discussing this on Jeremy Vine yesterday on Radio 1. Doesn't take away the fact that our government have reacted and behaved awfully. There has to be a public inquest after it all dies down, there fucking has to be. 

They are also fucking miles from any other populous area so much easier to control who comes in

51 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

It is time though, because if we don’t barely any of us will have a future, some will be lucky to have a roof over their heads this time next year. I honestly think people are not grasping how horrific this depression is going to be.

And urgent suspected cancer referrals are down 60%, hospital waiting lists are up massively, depression is up, suicide is up, domestic violence is up. Direct the funds at protecting those with a significant risk and everybody else has to take their chances. Life is never risk free.

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

One of them admitted to feeling sick! But said it was something else. So much for the New Zealand geniuses. 

You're right, far too trusting, they should outright ban the British from enjoying their country, as we obviously can't be trusted and are a parasite on any civilised society.

No joke here. 

59 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

It is time though, because if we don’t barely any of us will have a future, some will be lucky to have a roof over their heads this time next year. I honestly think people are not grasping how horrific this depression is going to be.

The problem is that how horrific the situation is, or will be, is partly determined (and has been determined) by the government. 

The same hateful, sociopaths in charge of the colossal fuck up of a response to the virus will be in charge of rebooting the economy. 

Many of the problems that exist and have been exacerbated by the pandemic could have been helped over the last decade. Properly funding things. Not pushing divide and conquer rhetoric via the press. Etc.

In a situation like this you really need a government that at least cares a bit about the public, and is relatively competent. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They were discussing this on Jeremy Vine yesterday on Radio 1. 

Did they discuss how the country isn't spaced out perfectly, and they have these dense areas of population where most people gather and live:

Rank Urban area Population Area
(km²)[4]
Population
density (per km²)
Notes
1 Auckland 1,467,800 607.10 2,418.1  
2 Christchurch 377,200 295.15 1,278.0  
3 Wellington 215,400 112.29 1,918.2  
4 Hamilton 169,300 110.37 1,533.9  
5 Tauranga 135,000 135.12 999.1  
6 Lower Hutt 104,900 78.52 411.4  
7 Dunedin 104,500 91.58 1,141.1  
8 Palmerston North 80,300 76.92 1,043.9  
9 Napier 62,800 104.90 598.7  
10 Porirua 55,500 60.96 910.4  
11 New Plymouth 55,300 75.49 732.5  
12 Rotorua 54,500 48.12 1,132.6  
13 Whangarei 52,600 57.06 921.8  
14 Hibiscus Coast 52,400 42.90 1,221.4  
15 Nelson 49,300 54.33 907.4  
16 Invercargill 48,700 60.70 802.3  
17 Hastings 45,000 24.42 1,842.8  
18 Upper Hutt 41,000 540.1 801.3  
19 Whanganui 39,400 40.35 976.5  
20 Gisborne 35,500 36.17 981.5
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Remmie said:

They are also fucking miles from any other populous area so much easier to control who comes in

Yep. Isle of Man is covid free now too but it's not hard to do when you're a small island. Lorraine Kelly was cooing over the head of public health in Guernsey the other day as they'd eradicated Covid, 'ooooh I wish we had your wee self in charge over here'. Yeah bit different that Lorraine, not that I'm defending this shambles. 

42 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yep. Isle of Man is covid free now too but it's not hard to do when you're a small island. Lorraine Kelly was cooing over the head of public health in Guernsey the other day as they'd eradicated Covid, 'ooooh I wish we had your wee self in charge over here'. Yeah bit different that Lorraine, not that I'm defending this shambles. 

Thats fine- for economy that is entirely built on tourism though, its doesnt bode well   

10 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Been reading about this new outbreak in Beijing- its either sensationalist news sites looking for readers or we are about 8 weeks away from armageddon 

What have you read that's so spooky? I've read it's an outbreak based around a market, that they discovered it because they were mass testing and they're mostly asymptomatic anyway. If anything it seems like their procedures have worked.

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What have you read that's so spooky? I've read it's an outbreak based around a market, that they discovered it because they were mass testing and they're mostly asymptomatic anyway. If anything it seems like their procedures have worked.

Beijing based medics describing it as a much more infectious strain thats genetic sequence differs totally to COVID-19 rendering the vaccine they have been working on useless- thats the dramatic tone The Mail were taking, albeit not their headline.

BBC version a bit more toned down but still worrying reading when you consider they had essentially cleared it.

Just reminded of reading of it around Christmas not paying it too much attention and then things changed very quickly      

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

Its right to admire and learn from countries/islands that have managed to eradicate it, whatever there people ratio etc, but it cant last if we are working back towards a normal world of free movement. 

It can certainly last longer than to the point we are at now, to give the scientists more time to work towards effective treatments or even a vaccine IF we accept that the system has to change (as NZ seems to be accepting).  It didn't have to be this way but it was inevitable in this wonderful cuntry of ours. 

5 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I never said it wasn’t time. However, precautions need to be taken and adhered to. For example, it is ridiculous that face coverings have to be worn on public transport but not in shops. 

5 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

The problem is that the economy is linked with the virus. If there is a vaccine or it magically starts going away, the economy will go back to normal. Otherwise, it barely makes a difference whether you're open because the cases start creeping back up, restrictions are needed again, the majority of people aren't consuming like they were 6 months ago because of fear, etc... As long as the virus is around, economies are fucked either way. 

I’ve said this before so many times on here. So people are depressed, suicides are up, people are not getting NHS referrals, irreversible damage is being done to pupils education etc... and all of that is given as reasons to lift lockdown measures. It’s a compelling argument. 

However, if cases do spike again, we get a second wave or however you want to say it, what do you think will happen with all those things? Are people going to be getting cancer referrals if the NHS is overwhelmed? Do you think depression and suicides will go up or down if people are dropping like flies? Pupils more or less likely to get the education they need with the school closures extended?

Let’s not pretend this is anything other than a very high stakes gamble. If we get a second spike that coincides with the winter and flu season we will be absolutely fucked. They won’t lockdown and furlough people again so what is the alternative? 

They should have kept the lockdown until the end of June/middle of July and drove cases right down and got an extensive track and trace system up and running in time for relaxing it. Instead, they’ve half arsed the whole thing, lost the public trust with Cummings, and in my opinion gambled that they can keep cases around the level they are now so we’ll still get plenty of deaths and infections but it won’t overwhelm the NHS.

It’s also obvious they’re not going to protect the vulnerable like they should be with allowing the shielded to leave their homes earlier than they said and not releasing the full BAME report. We’re also seeing the scientists sidelined at the press conferences because they either won’t back what they want or they’ve given mild criticism like JVT and the imminent reduction of the 2m rule based on pressure from business lobby groups, right wing media and backbench Tories rather than on the scientific advice. 

I’d just be careful what you wish for because all the problems which are given as reasons for lifting lockdown (NHS referrals, Suicides, Schools etc...) are going to be massively amplified if this doesn’t work. 

• Upvote 11

3 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’ve said this before so many times on here. So people are depressed, suicides are up, people are not getting NHS referrals, irreversible damage is being done to pupils education etc... and all of that is given as reasons to lift lockdown measures. It’s a compelling argument. 

However, if cases do spike again, we get a second wave or however you want to say it, what do you think will happen with all those things? Are people going to be getting cancer referrals if the NHS is overwhelmed? Do you think depression and suicides will go up or down if people are dropping like flies? Pupils more or less likely to get the education they need with the school closures extended?

Let’s not pretend this is anything other than a very high stakes gamble. If we get a second spike that coincides with the winter and flu season we will be absolutely fucked. They won’t lockdown and furlough people again so what is the alternative? 

They should have kept the lockdown until the end of June/middle of July and drove cases right down and got an extensive track and trace system up and running in time for relaxing it. Instead, they’ve half arsed the whole thing, lost the public trust with Cummings, and in my opinion gambled that they can keep cases around the level they are now so we’ll still get plenty of deaths and infections but it won’t overwhelm the NHS.

It’s also obvious they’re not going to protect the vulnerable like they should be with allowing the shielded to leave their homes earlier than they said and not releasing the full BAME report. We’re also seeing the scientists sidelined at the press conferences because they either won’t back what they want or they’ve given mild criticism like JVT and the imminent reduction of the 2m rule based on pressure from business lobby groups, right wing media and backbench Tories rather than on the scientific advice. 

I’d just be careful what you wish for because all the problems which are given as reasons for lifting lockdown (NHS referrals, Suicides, Schools etc...) are going to be massively amplified if this doesn’t work. 

Great post. 

"Opening the economy" has always been a complete smoke and mirrors. Mostly an argument from people who selfishly want to go back to "regular life" when they don't understand that every issue is linked to the virus and not the lockdowns.

The biggest allies of the economy will be medical progress, policies to slow the spread and time. Unfortunately, many countries and regions (not all of them) have been completely short-sighted about this and have given up before cases have reached a reasonable low point. Shame.