You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

55 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

But 99% of the population are in houses most of the time and the 1% that are out are outdoors which is deemed pretty safe. I don't think they're super spreader events at all. Firstly the numbers are pretty small. Secondly the government before lockdown were promoting the idea that things like football matches are safer than pubs and the hospitality industry is still shut. You're acting like we're living normal lives, it just isn't true. Everyone is living a very restricted life and that is what is keeping the R rate down. If all was rosey like you seem to think the government would have just lifted all restrictions. 

There are thousands and thousands of people meeting at raves, protests and riots. Loads of people are meeting in smaller groups in houses and in gardens and we're seeing the number of infections continue to fall, despite the amount of testing increasing. Why?

Of course, it's too soon for the government to just tell everyone to go back to normal life, but they will be monitoring the situation closely. As of today Spain is basically back to normal but with 75% occupancy of buildings - cinemas, theatres, discos, churches, offices all open. Infections are not increasing anywhere that is coming out of lockdown, surely following your logic, it should?

9 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

There are thousands and thousands of people meeting at raves, protests and riots. Loads of people are meeting in smaller groups in houses and in gardens and we're seeing the number of infections continue to fall, despite the amount of testing increasing. Why?

Of course, it's too soon for the government to just tell everyone to go back to normal life, but they will be monitoring the situation closely. As of today Spain is basically back to normal but with 75% occupancy of buildings - cinemas, theatres, discos, churches, offices all open. Infections are not increasing anywhere that is coming out of lockdown, surely following your logic, it should?

This isn't entirely true.

Madrid and Barcelona, for example are still in Phase 2.

As of next Monday the lockdown will have finished, but autonomous communities get to make their own decisions about free movement, for example. Also, it isn't true that all cinemas, etc are open. These decisions, again, will be made regionally. I live in an area that hasn't been impacted that badly by Covid and yet still most cinemas, theatres, etc are still shut. 

Also, as of next Monday the country will open its borders. Including to the UK. So, I think we're still a few weeks away from knowing whether the "new normality" is going to have a huge effect on infections.

I actually suspect that in the open air the risk is greatly reduced, but at the afore mentioned events a lot of people would be under the concourse and in pubs around the area. That can't happen right now, which to some degree addresses my point above... however, I would have expected to see an increase in infections unless the virus is burning out.

I posted something the other day which showed cases spiking in loads of US states and that was about four to six weeks after they relaxed their lockdowns on average. 

The stuff about congas on VE Day and stuff like that was always overblown thinking about it, the media finds relatively few gatherings of probably 50-100 people not obeying social distancing and blows it out of proportion but a few scattered instances across the country like that wouldn’t have much of an impact, especially outdoors. 

The relaxation of measures now, if they are going to cause a spike, will be seen around 1st-10th July I reckon. 

Truth is everyone is just guessing at the minute and it’s too early to say whether countries lifting lockdown will see cases increase or if they’ll settle down. For the time being I’m just carrying on as I have been and avoiding everyone. 

• Upvote 1

My mate manages a shop which has opened today for the first time, sells clothes, trainers etc... and said it’s been crazy. 

Said he expected people to be a bit cagey but in his words “they’ve been like animals“. Only eight people allowed in at a time but loads more pushing in, all clawing at the clothes and in the changing rooms, no one obeying social distancing. 

38 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

They've been open two weeks here, I haven't been back yet. 

Have they been busy over there do you know? I know most places will have social distancing rules in-place but I can't see how well it will be enforced. Especially with piss-heads. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Have they been busy over there do you know? I know most places will have social distancing rules in-place but I can't see how well it will be enforced. Especially with piss-heads. 

It's been raining at the weekends which means only 30 people inside. Apart from possible health risks it doesn't sound particularly fun having to book a time slot and then being stuck in one place while surrounded by the sort of blerts who book in advance to go the pub. 

Just reading then that loads of bars are having problems making enough money and also enforcing the rules. 

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/06/struggling-bar-owners-say-1-5-metre-rule-is-killing-business/?utm_source=newsletter

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

I think you're underestimating the difference between pre lock down and now. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Personally i think beer prevents the spread. I've been drinking all lockdown and I haven't caught it. This is research I have conducted myself. Not taking some scientists word for it that he's done the work so I should just believe him. Cold hard facts, I drink therefore I am Covid free.

I can verify your results . Drink beer not bleach is the only conclusion . 

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

I posted something the other day which showed cases spiking in loads of US states and that was about four to six weeks after they relaxed their lockdowns on average. 

The stuff about congas on VE Day and stuff like that was always overblown thinking about it, the media finds relatively few gatherings of probably 50-100 people not obeying social distancing and blows it out of proportion but a few scattered instances across the country like that wouldn’t have much of an impact, especially outdoors. 

The relaxation of measures now, if they are going to cause a spike, will be seen around 1st-10th July I reckon. 

Truth is everyone is just guessing at the minute and it’s too early to say whether countries lifting lockdown will see cases increase or if they’ll settle down. For the time being I’m just carrying on as I have been and avoiding everyone. 

Even in those 1st 2 weeks in july, it's still not open season. People are queuing outside shops where it is relatively safe and numbers inside shops won't be like it was before. The contact now is just nothing like how we were behaving before this outbreak. In fact nobody gave a shit from what I can tell till Mikel arteta got the virus and then it just went mental. 

• Upvote 1