You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I suppose it raises more questions than answers. Have the person(s) using the board had Corinavirus and are coughing and spluttering all over it or are they making more bat soup with more infected wildlife?

4 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

I thought the virus wasn’t much of a risk from surfaces, at least not as much as via human-to-human transmission? I know it can last on stuff for a while, which is why I either use antibacterial spray from dettol or properly clean each thing that comes into the house, but if they’ve been clear if it for ages then how is it in the chopping board?

The way I read it was it was contaminated by the fellas doing the chopping - apparently fish cannot get infected.

Not sure the low/no risk off surface thing is correct - that is why they suggest wearing gloves and also not touching face.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

The way I read it was it was contaminated by the fellas doing the chopping - apparently fish cannot get infected.

Not sure the low/no risk off surface thing is correct - that is why they suggest wearing gloves and also not touching face.

Now I know where to point the finger of blame.

download.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No, hadn't seen that.

Did see the stats guy from Russia's take on it though - he does mention Golikova in the interview

CHARLES MAYNES, NPR: Being a stats guy amid a pandemic doesn't make you popular, says Aleksei Raksha, an independent demographer in Moscow.

ALEKSEI RAKSHA: I work with numbers, and numbers tell me what's going on, not people, you know. That's why people from the left and people from the right don't like me.

MAYNES: For example, government critics may not like that Raksha gives the Kremlin decent marks for handling the pandemic so far. He points to numbers that show the Kremlin's decision to seal the border with China and order people to stay at home came, if not right away, then at least in time to slow the spread of the virus. Or take the number of hospital beds and ventilators rolled out in Moscow. Raksha says they've allowed the city to handle rising case loads better than, say, New York or London.

RAKSHA: So in every big and every huge and every large city, the spike of death rate is much bigger than in Moscow.

MAYNES: But the problem comes when you look at the number of people the government says are dying. Raksha says Russian doctors diagnose the cause of death differently than their colleagues in the West.

RAKSHA: In Russian medical tradition, the main cause of death should be the cause of failure of particular organ.

MAYNES: That means someone may have the coronavirus, but technically, doctors say they died from a stopped heart, a bad kidney or pneumonia - just not COVID-19. And Raksha looks at figures coming out of Russia's regions and says the numbers from local health ministry officials just don't add up.

RAKSHA: It's also signs of manipulating the data. I don't know why. I don't know why they're doing it. But I see it. I am statistician, and I see it.

MAYNES: Raksha's research has been at the heart of media reports that suggest the authorities have been misclassifying COVID-19 deaths. He looked at current mortality figures and compared them to the average for this time of year.

RAKSHA: I think it's safe to say that you can multiply official death count from COVID by three, by the factor of three. And you will be - you'll get, more or less, true picture.

There will be 300,000 positive cases in two or three days in the UK, a fine publicity opportunity, maybe a nice reward for the patient no. 300,000 presented by the PM? A lifetime supply of blood thinners, a set of designer masks and a top of the line ventilator, just in case?

18 minutes ago, SasaS said:

There will be 300,000 positive cases in two or three days in the UK, a fine publicity opportunity, maybe a nice reward for the patient no. 300,000 presented by the PM? A lifetime supply of blood thinners, a set of designer masks and a top of the line ventilator, just in case?

A t-shirt that says "I survived coronavirus and all they got me was this lousy t-shirt".

I've been on a wake for my mate, Roger, who died on Tuesday. 

Completely shit faced for the first time in Lockdown.

It's what he would have wanted 

Godspeed wherever you are! 

He was a bad Tory and a worse Brexiter but everybody loved him and he'll be missed!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

For those worrying that infections are not dropping quickly enough, this chart shows the infections by date of test.

Considering that everyone is just doing whatever they like now, raves, riots, house parties, football matches etc. We really should be seeing infections rise, but they are not at the moment, so it does seem that something else is at play here.

Infections haven't stopped though, so discretion is still the better part of valour as far as I am concerned.

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

For those worrying that infections are not dropping quickly enough, this chart shows the infections by date of test.

Considering that everyone is just doing whatever they like now, raves, riots, house parties, football matches etc. We really should be seeing infections rise, but they are not at the moment, so it does seem that something else is at play here.

Infections haven't stopped though, so discretion is still the better part of valour as far as I am concerned.

Why should we see infections rise? We keep having this conversation. The R rate is below 1. 99% of people barely leave their house and when you go out most people are wearing masks. Supposedly less than 1 in 1000 people has the virus, so even with all these dickheads, all we are likely to be doing is slowing down the decrease in numbers. 

18 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Why should we see infections rise? We keep having this conversation. The R rate is below 1. 99% of people barely leave their house and when you go out most people are wearing masks. Supposedly less than 1 in 1000 people has the virus, so even with all these dickheads, all we are likely to be doing is slowing down the decrease in numbers. 

We keep having this conversation because you can't seem to get your head around it. The R Rate is low because it's not spreading - but it should be. 

These riots and protests are 'super spreader' events. Just look at your Facebook and see the number of people posting photographs of them not socially distanced from their friends and family. Literally the only thing not happening right now is regular large gatherings indoors, everything else is out the window. 

Let's flip it the other way - if it's not spreading now, what do you think will make it spread?

I know we'll have little outbreaks where there is a low rate of infection, but we have seen rates continue to fall as restrictions are released.

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

We keep having this conversation because you can't seem to get your head around it. The R Rate is low because it's not spreading - but it should be. 

These riots and protests are 'super spreader' events. Just look at your Facebook and see the number of people posting photographs of them not socially distanced from their friends and family. Literally the only thing not happening right now is regular large gatherings indoors, everything else is out the window. 

Let's flip it the other way - if it's not spreading now, what do you think will make it spread?

I know we'll have little outbreaks where there is a low rate of infection, but we have seen rates continue to fall as restrictions are released.

But 99% of the population are in houses most of the time and the 1% that are out are outdoors which is deemed pretty safe. I don't think they're super spreader events at all. Firstly the numbers are pretty small. Secondly the government before lockdown were promoting the idea that things like football matches are safer than pubs and the hospitality industry is still shut. You're acting like we're living normal lives, it just isn't true. Everyone is living a very restricted life and that is what is keeping the R rate down. If all was rosey like you seem to think the government would have just lifted all restrictions. 

• Upvote 1