You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

31 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

All talk of vaccines, and cures, and blockers, etc seems to have totally stopped?  Are the press just bored of it now?

There's been some promising stuff around. One is that the Oxford lab who are working on a vaccine have cloned therapeutic antibodies they can use as treatments in the meantime. 

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-07/vaccine-scientists-on-verge-of-antibody-treatment-for-most-vulnerable/

Still seems to be some talk around the virus getting naturally weaker too, Italian doctors have said it and these Pittsburgh cats now too. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8390849/University-Pittsburgh-doctors-say-coronavirus-appears-declining-potency.html 

New infections seems to still be slowing in countries that have lifted lockdown measures so it would appear 'something' is going on. But to quote the late, great Coolio - something's going on in the kitchen, but i don't know what's cookin'. 

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

I think I'd trust the Dutch over the Chinese when it comes to something being injected into my body. I'm pretty sure all the E's I took back in the day came via the Netherlands and I'm still here to tell the tale, so it's a thumbs up from me for that lab. 

All piss taking aside, the Chinese are fairly sure they have one now don't they. They published all the relegate data to some online forum for other nerds to have a gander at. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The virus is subsiding and you watch the government line (and most of the media) be "we beat it, you the British people followed our advice thank you and well done hurray for Britain and now LETS GET BREXIT DONE!!!!" No inquest, no public outcry, no cunts held to account for fucking it up royally. Watch Brexit slowly start to get re-introuduced to the front pages over the coming weeks. 

I obviously don't want a second wave which would probably be far worse than the first one but fuck me, some of these bastards absolutely deserve it. It still baffles me how Britain, on a fucking island with all our money and medical infrastructure can have one of the worst outcomes to this in the world. Oh hang on, look whose in power. 

Exactly, being an island we should have been able to control it much better. Should have locked right down like New Zealand.

5 minutes ago, suzy said:

Exactly, being an island we should have been able to control it much better. Should have locked right down like New Zealand.

No need for that, we're British goddamit. We'll just look that virus straight in the eye and give it a jolly good thrashing.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

No need for that, we're British goddamit. We'll just look that virus straight in the eye and give it a jolly good thrashing.

Haha that worked out well... (is your name Boris?)

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

All talk of vaccines, and cures, and blockers, etc seems to have totally stopped?  Are the press just bored of it now?

I thought this earlier in the week.

Surely ramping up antibody & T Cell tests would prove easier than a vaccine?

Speaking of antibody tests, where the fuck are they? I thought they were going to be available soon. 

Probably the same place as our tracing app and the Dyson ventilators. 

23 minutes ago, suzy said:

I agree NZ have obviously done a far, far, far better job than the UK to control the virus, but I’d also say it’s easier for them to do so.

The UK is a major travelling hub for the world. NZ is miles away from anywhere. Australia is its closest country and that’s 3+ hours away.

Also, Australia haven’t been terribly hit either. 

I don’t want to take away from the job NZ have done though, remarkable really, although easier for them to do over the UK. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

I agree NZ have obviously done a far, far, far better job than the UK to control the virus, but I’d also say it’s easier for them to do so.

The UK is a major travelling hub for the world. NZ is miles away from anywhere. Australia is its closest country and that’s 3+ hours away.

I don’t want to take away from the job NZ have done though, remarkable really, although easier for them to do over the UK. 

I love their PM, too. She's pretty great.

25 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Easier in what way, a lockdown is a lockdown surely?  Do you mean it cost NZ less? 

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

I think I'd trust the Dutch over the Chinese when it comes to something being injected into my body. I'm pretty sure all the E's I took back in the day came via the Netherlands and I'm still here to tell the tale, so it's a thumbs up from me for that lab. 

All piss taking aside, the Chinese are fairly sure they have one now don't they. They published all the relegate data to some online forum for other nerds to have a gander at. 

Drugs here are of the highest quality. So much so that the vaccine tests have to take place in the US and Belgium. 

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Easier in what way, a lockdown is a lockdown surely?  Do you mean it cost NZ less? 

because New Zealand is a 3 hour flight from its nearest landmass perhaps?

Im not knocking New Zealand at all, but eradicating the virus there is much easier there than anywhere in Europe. 

Its the middle of nowhere for a start, plus its the size of the UK, but only has 4 million or so people living in it. 

If I remember correctly, NZ went into lockdown in the last week of March, same time as UK, but with much lower rate of infection than in the biggest European countries at the time. And nearest hard hit country being thousands of miles away.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

If I remember correctly, NZ went into lockdown in the last week of March, same time as UK, but with much lower rate of infection than in the biggest European countries at the time. And nearest hard hit country being thousands of miles away.

I think you are remembering incorrectly.

7 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Did they not lock down about the same time as us, but at a completely different point in the curve? They locked down before any deaths and maybe just a couple of hundred cases. We locked down when we had cases in the thousands (and we weren't really testing then) and deaths in the hundreds? 

Yep, and thousands upon thousands of people flying in and out of the country with nothing in place to check or trace them. Playing down New Zealand's achievement is astonishing, they did superbly well.

• Upvote 2