You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

20 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

No it’s not. Good to see it decreasing for the NW, but all regions are not far off 1 and we have more people going back to work and more shops opening up next week.

It would help if the government at least wanted to reduce the rate. Which they quite clearly don't.

11 minutes ago, A Red said:

I think the south west figures are skewed a bit due to Bristol. I live 180 miles away and I dont think there have been any deaths down here in the last 10 days or so. 

Fuckin' Bristol. So much to answer for.

As a vague tie-in to the racism thread, the Blue Aeroplanes at Colston Hall in '93 were astonishing. The gig nearly got abandoned when a trap door not far from the stage got put through halfway though their set, and they had to support it with packing cases. My watch got ripped off my arm in the frenzy and I didn't even notice till after the astonishing encore with 7 guitarists, half of them co-opted from the support bands. My head's still ringing from And Stones... over 25 years later.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

From reading various studies over the past few months I think the majority of people called asymptomatic are actually pre-symptomatic even if the symptoms only manifest themselves very mildly. 

I agree that they should make a distinction here, because my feeling would be that when they state asymptomatic people, they are generally talking about people who don't become asymptomatic.

The virus is subsiding and you watch the government line (and most of the media) be "we beat it, you the British people followed our advice thank you and well done hurray for Britain and now LETS GET BREXIT DONE!!!!" No inquest, no public outcry, no cunts held to account for fucking it up royally. Watch Brexit slowly start to get re-introuduced to the front pages over the coming weeks. 

I obviously don't want a second wave which would probably be far worse than the first one but fuck me, some of these bastards absolutely deserve it. It still baffles me how Britain, on a fucking island with all our money and medical infrastructure can have one of the worst outcomes to this in the world. Oh hang on, look whose in power. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Is that the way its usually done? Anything Ive seen suggested its how many people are infected from 1 person, on average.

Well, that's what I thought. But I saw it explained the other day that it was based on death rates. Happy to be corrected, because that seems like the worst possible way to measure infection. It would account for the fact that the infection levels and R Rates weren't matching though.

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The virus is subsiding and you watch the government line (and most of the media) be "we beat it, you the British people followed our advice thank you and well done hurray for Britain and now LETS GET BREXIT DONE!!!!" No inquest, no public outcry, no cunts held to account for fucking it up royally. Watch Brexit slowly start to get re-introuduced to the front pages over the coming weeks. 

I obviously don't want a second wave which would probably be far worse than the first one but fuck me, some of these bastards absolutely deserve it. It still baffles me how Britain, on a fucking island with all our money and medical infrastructure can have one of the worst outcomes to this in the world. Oh hang on, look whose in power. 

It's already there mate. BBC running a story whereby the Gov't are using Covid as an excuse to relax Border checks. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

It's already there mate. BBC running a story whereby the Gov't are using Covid as an excuse to relax Border checks. 

I saw that. They could, if well intentioned use this for the good of all by agreeing a good deal in the best interests of everybody, but what they are really interested in is the £65 trillion staked on a no deal brexit.

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The fundamental issue to understand is that the people in charge simply don't care whether you live or die. As an ex serviceman you'll know that transcends things like pandemics, it also relates to how they view issues such as the benefits system, the environment, homelessness and child poverty. They don't care. People need to reconcile themselves with that one, inescapable fact and then crack on from there.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The fundamental issue to understand is that the people in charge simply don't care whether you live or die. As an ex serviceman you'll know that transcends things like pandemics, it also relates to how they view issues such as the benefits system, the environment, homelessness and child poverty. They don't care. People need to reconcile themselves with that one, inescapable fact and then crack on from there.

Spot on. They want us struggling. They want us in debt. Thats why they don't teach proper life skills at school and Economics is an "option" to take at GCSE when most 14 year olds won't want to go near it. It should be fucking drilled into kids at a young age about how to manage money, life hassles etc. Not teaching them that Churchill was a hero and how to add up letters. 

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I saw that. They could, if well intentioned use this for the good of all by agreeing a good deal in the best interests of everybody, but what they are really interested in is the £65 trillion staked on a no deal brexit.

It's only on imports, exports to the EU will be determined by Brussels. The EU negotiators are already miffed as they just see this as yet another U turn by a Gov't that is always backtracking and not exactly a reliable partner. Relaxed Border checks also opens up all sorts of security problems as far as the Uk goes, guess they don't give a fuck though, as you say, they are only interested in making money and not the well being of those they serve. 

What does everyone think of this test and trace scheme? I think it’s bullshit. Someone gets a call to say someone they have been in contact with has the virus. They have no symptoms, but are expected to then stay at home for 14 days. They are then told by their employer that they won’t be paid, or they’re self-employed. So the government are saying you can claim statutory sick pay for the 14 days which is £95 per week. So someone earning average salary of around £585 per week is going to lose out on £980. If they’re not sick they’re just going to say “fuck that” aren’t they?

29 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Spot on. They want us struggling. They want us in debt. Thats why they don't teach proper life skills at school and Economics is an "option" to take at GCSE when most 14 year olds won't want to go near it. It should be fucking drilled into kids at a young age about how to manage money, life hassles etc. Not teaching them that Churchill was a hero and how to add up letters. 

Just as importantly, to learn about macroeconomics.

The government wants people to conflate the economics of one person with that of a country. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

The government wants people to conflate the economics of one person with that of a country. 

I don’t actually think this one is the government knowingly pulling a con job. Most MPs believe this fallacy themselves.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

One thing about Unions of the past, more so than now, is that they were always into the idea of education for workers. 

The country was fucked the minute it monetised universities and went further down the rabbit hole with academies and the disastrous free school experiment. Any country where education has to compete for customers, or where learning is viewed as a commodity to be bought and sold, is fucked in every sense of the word. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

It’s almost as if you’re saying the deficit of a nation isn’t analogous to a credit card. I have a former chancellor who’ll disagree. Were you ever a chancellor? Have U even got a fucking history degree, m8?

14 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It’s almost as if you’re saying the deficit of a nation isn’t analogous to a credit card. I have a former chancellor who’ll disagree. Were you ever a chancellor? Have U even got a fucking history degree, m8?

A few years ago I was broke. Not now, printed my own money!