You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke

Eldest son started back in an office environment this week, Missus starts back teaching on Friday in 3 of the 4 KG's she works in. You do get the feeling that the relaxing of everything is a bit soon as it projects onto the streets where a lot of people are just not distancing or actually giving a fuck. At least the compulsory mask wearing is still in place as far as public transport, shops, doctors etc goes. I had to give blood again today at my GP's as he's keeping tabs on those who tested positive to see if any after effects present themselves. Basically a free health check. Not sure how long that will continue, or if it's City/Area/GP specific or country wide, but it looks like a 3 month cycle at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I find Brexiters and Brexit MPs telling us how important the economy is to be a bit galling. Especially people who declared they'd take decades of hardship for freedom. The Freedom to be run for 5 years by people who have done nothing but lie and act disgracefully from the start. Who jeopardised everyone's safety for herd immunity and then shit all over the protections in place to protect a government advisor, a civil servant who got to hold his own fucking press conference! And with that massive privilege proceeded to make incredibly ridiculous lies up, basically a giant "fuck you, who do you think you are" and still was defended by the single minded lunacy of "it doesn't matter as long as brexit" any behaviour is now acceptable. Reports have said in general you can tell who thinks the government have done a good or bad job by following brexit lines.

They have fucked up almost every single step of the way. A real low is saying they would hit 100,000 tests by a certain date and in order to hit it.. just to save face! sent out 40,000 useless wasted tests on one day, tick the box and go back to failing and eventually not even bothering to report about it. Mistakes are fine, missing targets fine, even failing is fine but to fucking waste time, money and jeopardize lives to protect your party PR is criminal. Move on.. Move on.. and we all moved on.

They do not give a fuck beyond their own power and how much they are going to make. Boris and Cummings are going to absolutely carve the country up for US business. They will sell us shit as gravy and every brexiter will gorge upon it convincing themselves it tastes good and they've never had better.

I'm not against people voting for brexit, I'm against it being so important that any behaviour no matter how bad is allowed from MPS as long as they're Brexiters. Brexit won it's going to happen so we need to get our own shit in order and we can only do that by holding our politicians to account. I know blind loyalty isn't just a brexit issue it applies to all sides. But at the minute Brexit is allowing these current Tories to act like they're untouchable, it's dangerous. 

Succinctly put. Their "move on" is not a rallying call  it's a culmination of lies after lies until even people with a bit of common sense become exasperated and frankly bored so moving on actually becomes a relief. 

Data from the Covid app is estimating new infections to be approx 4,900 per day, which is down from 9,700 last week.

Also a 'one size fits all' mortality rate seems not to be very helpful. I'd get rather see demographic specific data which would be far more informative I think.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clockspeed said:

Succinctly put. Their "move on" is not a rallying call  it's a culmination of lies after lies until even people with a bit of common sense become exasperated and frankly bored so moving on actually becomes a relief. 

"Move on" is just another way of saying "Fuck off". 

1 hour ago, Jenson said:

Data from the Covid app is estimating new infections to be approx 4,900 per day, which is down from 9,700 last week.

Also a 'one size fits all' mortality rate seems not to be very helpful. I'd get rather see demographic specific data which would be far more informative I think.

There's a chart from Spain in the Medium article linked to earlier-

0*VKyas-9uaeADvM8a

It's introduced with-

This is the IFR by age in Spain (one of the most exhaustive antibody tests in the world):

There are also similar charts for those with co-morbidities. As the author points out, the sheer number of people in higher risk categories makes trying to specifically shield them while letting everyone else go about their business completely inpractical. 

From Scotland- https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2020/jun/11/uk-coronavirus-live-government-under-pressure-to-scrap-2-metres-distancing-rule-in-england?page=with:block-5ee218d98f089c0fbf358835#block-5ee218d98f089c0fbf358835

Sturgeon say reproduction number in Scotland has fallen to between 0.6 and 0.8

Severin Carrell 

Nicola Sturgeon has said the latest scientific estimates are the R rate, the rate at which Covid-19 infections are spreading in the community, has fallen in Scotland to between 0.6 to 0.8, confirming a steep decline in hospitalisations and deaths.

The first minister told the daily coronavirus briefing that“under that estimate we expect that the virus will continue to decline”. She cautioned that there was still a risk of a resurgence in infections, but added: “We should continue to celebrate the progress.”

As a result, she announced that workers would be allowed now to return to construction sites, while observing social distancing, but added that “we still have some way to go” before seeing building at full capacity.

In her daily summary, she announced there were five deaths of those with confirmed Covid-19, with 909 people in hospital, 78 fewer than on Wednesday. Many of the key data have fallen in Scotland to the levels of mid- to late-March, leading Sturgeon to confirm the lockdown may be eased in Scotland more quickly.

The R number in Scotland had been between 0.7 and 0.9.

And the number of infected people in Scotland last week is judged to have been 4,500.

There are more details in this Scottish government report (pdf). This chart shows the R number.

R number in Scotland. R number in Scotland. Photograph: Scottish government

And here are the estimates for the number of people infected.

Estimates for numbers of people infected Estimates for numbers of people infected Photograph: Scottish goverment/Scottish government

Which is nice. 17 new infections and 5 deaths reported, so hopefully it'll end upunder 100 infections and 50 deaths for the this week in total.

The way he's communicated this is vile and is quite rightly getting abuse, however, if there are negative excess deaths in the next six months, the the gist of what he's saying could be correct. If Covid has cut short the lives of some terminally ill people - who would have died in the second part of 2020 - then this is a likely scenario. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Mudface said:

There's a chart from Spain in the Medium article linked to earlier-

0*VKyas-9uaeADvM8a

It's introduced with-

There are also similar charts for those with co-morbidities. As the author points out, the sheer number of people in higher risk categories makes trying to specifically shield them while letting everyone else go about their business completely inpractical. 

These numbers are much better than initially expected, no? I'm sure I remember seeing 60-69 as being 3 or 4 percent or something. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

These numbers are much better than initially expected, no? I'm sure I remember seeing 60-69 as being 3 or 4 percent or something. 

Not sure, I think I remember seeing some in 20 year groups rather than 10 which would have skewed it upwards.

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

@TK421

Come out of hiding and post that link you shared for buying washable masks please. I want to order one today but I can’t be fucked scrolling back. 

They were Etsy ones weren't they?

Edit: https://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/forums/topic/115439-coronavirus/&do=findComment&comment=5622535

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

The way he's communicated this is vile and is quite rightly getting abuse, however, if there are negative excess deaths in the next six months, the the gist of what he's saying could be correct. If Covid has cut short the lives of some terminally ill people - who would have died in the second part of 2020 - then this is a likely scenario. Time will tell.

We all die anyway. How long do we give it for the numbers to level out? I think I'll take up running over oldies on zebra crossings for walking too slow, they'd be dead soon anyway. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

@TK421

Come out of hiding and post that link you shared for buying washable masks please. I want to order one today but I can’t be fucked scrolling back. 

I got 4 for 9 quid off amazon the other day. Well ordered two weeks ago they came yesterday. This was on the packaging 

B2EE345E-9D24-4EDB-9068-B3FC058ED73E.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I got 4 for 9 quid off amazon the other day. Well ordered two weeks ago they came yesterday. This was on the packaging 

B2EE345E-9D24-4EDB-9068-B3FC058ED73E.jpeg

Are they washable/reusable?

I’d rather buy one mask that I can keep instead of constantly chucking away the disposable ones. I’m not allergic to skin so they look sound. 

12 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

We all die anyway. How long do we give it for the numbers to level out? I think I'll take up running over oldies on zebra crossings for walking too slow, they'd be dead soon anyway. 

I agree with your general point, every life cut short is a tragedy. You need to contextualise what's happening though. 

33 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Not sure, I think I remember seeing some in 20 year groups rather than 10 which would have skewed it upwards.

I was thinking of stuff from about late March. Just found this on the BBC (might well have been this exact article I remember, actually) -

It seemed to think 60-69 was about 2.5%. 70-79 over 5%.

I know the figures were a bit of a guess initially, and with more info now hopefully the figures are more accurate. I'm trying to cling on to any relatively good news I see, without completely binning off scepticism entirely. But, I have parents in their mid 60s and the idea that should they catch the virus we now think that they would have five times as much chance of surviving it compared to predictions for people of that age just a couple of months ago is moderately reassuring.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51674743

_111409162_corona_cases-nc.png

31 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Are they washable/reusable?

I’d rather buy one mask that I can keep instead of constantly chucking away the disposable ones. I’m not allergic to skin so they look sound. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084ZFGG9V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here you go mate. They're sound as well. If you add code 'TKISAWHOPPER' he gets 5% commission as well. 

(Complete with Turdseye angry face) 

1B8B14F5-D73C-4EFD-8526-63E1F33C8CEC.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Finland will be opening borders to tourists from neighbouring Baltic and Nordic countries, excluding Sweden, from 15 June, writes Antonia Wilson, for the Guardian’s travel desk. In a similar move to Denmark and Norway, Sweden has been excluded from Finland’s list based on current rates of infection.