You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Unite

Really? Fucking hell that's embarrassing for me! They should be updating you regularly. Have you got a rep in your workplace? If so have a word. If you don't have a workplace rep, get on to the regional office and make a complaint, you shouldn't have been left hanging like that!

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

Really? Fucking hell that's embarrassing for me! They should be updating you regularly. Have you got a rep in your workplace? If so have a word. If you don't have a workplace rep, get on to the regional office and make a complaint, you shouldn't have been left hanging like that!

It's not. It's embarrassing for them.

No mate, I haven't got a rep. I'm in a union because it's just one of those things I'm emotionally attached to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

Always worth joining a union @MegadriveMan.

Correct...

"They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

6 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

If they don't recognise unions it's a poor reflection on them, doesn't mean you can't get the union to assist you in any grievance process.

Completely agree, I am still in a union even though I'm redundant. And whilst working I was in the same union (cwu)  

I used to be in the ATL and my local rep was boss, looked like Mike from Breaking Bad and took no fucking shit, all the half-wit HR gimps wilted at his logical arguing.  Now it (the ATL) has been merge with the NUT to become the NEU and the reps are as flaky as fuck.  Been trying to sort something out for the last three weeks but no joy.  Useless cunts.

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

No I'm not mate. I wouldn't really want to go down that route to be honest as it would make it awkward as fuck in future. 

Its not like my boss is holding a gun to my head, its more that I was presuming i'd be working from home until the government advice changed so it was a bit of a shock. 

It probably doesn't help that I much prefer working from home, and can't be arsed having to listen to conversations about Made in Chelsea or Monarch of the Glen and the like. 

Would you feel that way if there was asbestos in your gaff? Faulty wiring under your desk? Everyone has a legal right to work in a safe environment.

If you don’t want to get a union involved fighting your corner they can still give you advice about your rights and suggest ways to talk to your employer about any concerns you have. And if things do go to shit and you decide you do need help, the union will be able to represent you more effectively if they’re already familiar with your situation.

You can be a member of more than one union, there’s nothing to stop you joining a couple and getting a feel for which is better.

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

No I'm not mate. I wouldn't really want to go down that route to be honest as it would make it awkward as fuck in future. 

Its not like my boss is holding a gun to my head, its more that I was presuming i'd be working from home until the government advice changed so it was a bit of a shock. 

It probably doesn't help that I much prefer working from home, and can't be arsed having to listen to conversations about Made in Chelsea or Monarch of the Glen and the like. 

Triple post, wtf.

That’s how much you need to join a union though.

A couple of interesting slides on R Rate. 

UK

Ireland

Both suggest that R Rate had fallen below 1 before lockdown was implemented.

I'm open minded about this, as I'm sure someone can provide a graph showing the contrary. I would question how well lockdown works though, when in Wrexham we were at peak 10 - 12 weeks after lockdown began.

13 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I didn't read it because of the 1.5% mortality rate referenced in the link. Nobody genuinely believes that there is a 1.5% mortality rate.

If you had read it, that's the upper bound given based on studies. Combining the data it's more like 0.67%, and may be trending towards 0.5. The main point he's making there is that regardless, it's a lot more dangerous than 'flu.

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

If you had read it, that's the upper bound given based on studies. Combining the data it's more like 0.67%, and may be trending towards 0.5. The main point he's making there is that regardless, it's a lot more dangerous than 'flu.

And someone at the other end of the spectrum suggesting that the rate is 0.01% https://swprs.org/studies-on-covid-19-lethality/ Which is very similar to flu. 

I'm not left wing and sometimes a little bit suspicious of unions but they are a necessity, if there was the option to join one I would. In fact I would go further and suggest that everyone does and that employers have to recognise them. 

I find Brexiters and Brexit MPs telling us how important the economy is to be a bit galling. Especially people who declared they'd take decades of hardship for freedom. The Freedom to be run for 5 years by people who have done nothing but lie and act disgracefully from the start. Who jeopardised everyone's safety for herd immunity and then shit all over the protections in place to protect a government advisor, a civil servant who got to hold his own fucking press conference! And with that massive privilege proceeded to make incredibly ridiculous lies up, basically a giant "fuck you, who do you think you are" and still was defended by the single minded lunacy of "it doesn't matter as long as brexit" any behaviour is now acceptable. Reports have said in general you can tell who thinks the government have done a good or bad job by following brexit lines.

They have fucked up almost every single step of the way. A real low is saying they would hit 100,000 tests by a certain date and in order to hit it.. just to save face! sent out 40,000 useless wasted tests on one day, tick the box and go back to failing and eventually not even bothering to report about it. Mistakes are fine, missing targets fine, even failing is fine but to fucking waste time, money and jeopardize lives to protect your party PR is criminal. Move on.. Move on.. and we all moved on.

They do not give a fuck beyond their own power and how much they are going to make. Boris and Cummings are going to absolutely carve the country up for US business. They will sell us shit as gravy and every brexiter will gorge upon it convincing themselves it tastes good and they've never had better.

I'm not against people voting for brexit, I'm against it being so important that any behaviour no matter how bad is allowed from MPS as long as they're Brexiters. Brexit won it's going to happen so we need to get our own shit in order and we can only do that by holding our politicians to account. I know blind loyalty isn't just a brexit issue it applies to all sides. But at the minute Brexit is allowing these current Tories to act like they're untouchable, it's dangerous. 

• Upvote 12

29 minutes ago, A Red said:

I'm not left wing and sometimes a little bit suspicious of unions but they are a necessity, if there was the option to join one I would. In fact I would go further and suggest that everyone does and that employers have to recognise them. 

Where I work has different sites around the country. We are the only one with a union, we earn about 3 to 5 grand a year more than the rest because we negotiate our own pay, they just get the odd 1or 2 percent now and then.

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Where I work has different sites around the country. We are the only one with a union, we earn about 3 to 5 grand a year more than the rest because we negotiate our own pay, they just get the odd 1or 2 percent now and then.

We had similar at my old company. Plant workers were unionised, got to negotiate with management re pay and conditions and were very well compensated compared to non-unionised plant workers at other sites within the company. I was a lab worker and we were considered to be separate from the plant, and I couldn't get enough people to join a union so we could be recognised. As a result, we got shit pay rises and our flexi-time conditions were gradually whittled away. Everybody moaned and bitched, but no one did anything- I even arranged a meeting at a local pub with the union regional rep, no one turned up. Dicks.

14 hours ago, Scott_M said:

No defending Bojo either way (FWIW, I think he’s an inept cunt) but numerous other countries have a distancing rule of < 2m. 

And that is fine. But we've been told all along "we're just following the science". So what has changed? We don't spray as far when we cough now? Evolution in 3 months? For me any change in this policy needs a clear message from the scientists and not the government that decreasing from 2m is not going to increase risk. It has to be a science based choice and not a political one merely  because the government fucked this up so badly at the start (in fact right through) they're willing to basically start playing russian roulette to get the economy going, kids back in school and Brexit done. 

Oh and I should have negged you for using bojo!