You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

16 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Numbers are way down here. Schools are partially open, you can get a haircut, and pubs and restaurants opened on Monday. 

Official numbers (in Dutch) 

https://www.rivm.nl/coronavirus-covid-19/actueel

Yesterday 2 died and 4 were admitted to hospital. Population is about a quarter of the UK. 

Slightly out of date but in English

https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/dutch-expat-news/coronavirus-update-june-5-47152-confirmed-cases

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-06-05/netherlands-coronavirus-lockdown-dutch-followed-the-rules?fbclid=IwAR0eUpUMlPFj0m0tNs88MJ0_lph4bKDhu9sk2YHf2TZVnYQ9R6qDWgNBZfs

Thank you. Wow hairdressers open, we’re nowhere near that here.

I thought the Dutch would do better than us, they are at most things!

Just now, Jose Jones said:

Not at cheese Suzy!

Thing is, you can get boss aged cheese here. Don't judge it on the rubbery Edam that the UK buys. Likewise, if you were to judge UK cheese from what you can find in a Dutch supermarket you would think it was just very mild chedder. 

• Upvote 1

Netherlands had roughly the same per capita deaths as Ireland.

Which makes me think of New Zealand, do you think they would have been the same if, for example, Australia didn't have more or less same numbers (considering it has more big urban areas)? NZ locked down at similar time as the UK if I remember correctly, but with much lower numbers and much better situation in the neighbourhood.

2 hours ago, Captain Milk said:

Japan is roughly twice the land mass with twice the population.

Not had one thousand deaths yet.

Gerrymandering of figures re the Olympics accepted, but even still.

Widespread use of face masks in all situs throughout.

If only @TK421 was alive to see this!

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

If only @TK421 was alive to see this!

To be fair TK was way ahead of the curve and will likely have the last laugh on masks. I suggest we all wear a stormtrooper helmet and shout “I’m Spartacus” when the time comes.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Someone needs to sign up now as tk421 so when he comes back he has to be tk422

Then, right, someone needs to break in to his house and move all his ornaments 2 inches to the right

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Only 55 deaths nationwide today and the infection rate is the lowest for ages. That's a huge drop onlike for like days. I think it was 294 last Monday.

It was 111, but there's always a big jump on Tue/ Wed, last week there were well over 300 deaths on both those days. Encouraging though, just wish the infection figures would come down more quickly. 1200- 1500 per day is still pretty high.

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It was 111, but there's always a big jump on Tue/ Wed, last week there were well over 300 deaths on both those days. Encouraging though, just wish the infection figures would come down more quickly. 1200- 1500 per day is still pretty high.

The jump is normally Mon/Tue, but there have been bank holidays which have skewed it. I got the figures miles wrong, but percentage wise this is a massive drop still. It's worth noting that as figures come down, the number of backdates deaths which get added on will decrease too.