You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Why ? Is he being cajoled into it or does he want too ?

I think he feels he should. Don’t get me wrong, work have been brilliant. He was actually on probation as he was quite new. Work ended it as soon as he was diagnosed so he was entitled to all benefits and even sorted him out with £250 for every night he was in hospital. His boss is trying to convince him to stay off longer. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It's not in their culture to be more open. When have they ever ben open in our lifetime?

I do think it is interesting in recent weeks it the idea of this being man made is becoming more sticky. In actual fact, if you eliminate the idea it was man made and used with bad intent - just imagine it is some type of fuckup, could it not be there's perhaps more than one coronavirus released and explains such the massive different in symptoms and outcomes? 

But surely in their own interests being more open and helping in all this could only be a good thing for them ?

They're not some third world cottage industry country. They're a world wide game player with huge financial interests all over the globe and rightly or wrongly, all fingers are pointing at them. Their actions so far are only fanning the flames of suspicion.

Maybe there is more then one strain of the virus knocking about. It's another one to add to the 'not sure' list.

16 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

But surely in their own interests being more open and helping in all this could only be a good thing for them ?

They're not some third world cottage industry country. They're a world wide game player with huge financial interests all over the globe and rightly or wrongly, all fingers are pointing at them. Their actions so far are only fanning the flames of suspicion.

Maybe there is more then one strain of the virus knocking about. It's another one to add to the 'not sure' list.

You're speaking from a cultural point of view where you think international cooperation can be done for the global good. I think China's instinct is to mistrust everyone. And I have to say, of I was in their position, why would I let proven liars like trump and Johnson send people into my country to allow them to deliver the outcome they want? Trump has said on more than one occasion he wants China to pay for this crisis. There was the ex-MI6 person in the paper the other day (I think you posted the story) saying he believed it was China man made virus and there's a chance we should be talking about China paying. I see no real upside for China to allow people to come in and make this about fucking them financially for generations, because the outcome won't be truthful or honest, they'll go and find the selected evidence they want for the outcome they want. A little like WMD in Iraq. Our leaders don't care who dies. They just care how this is being paid for. 

12 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Pretty much sums up both forums here. 

You haven’t included the Members Forum there. And rightfully so. 

Rico’s trolling of TK last night was woeful, even by his standards. As was the stock response of “Bellend” 

Disappointing all round really, and I’d like to think the standard will improve now that everyone has sobered up. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

You're speaking from a cultural point of view where you think international cooperation can be done for the global good. I think China's instinct is to mistrust everyone. And I have to say, of I was in their position, why would I let proven liars like trump and Johnson send people into my country to allow them to deliver the outcome they want? Trump has said on more than one occasion he wants China to pay for this crisis. There was the ex-MI6 person in the paper the other day (I think you posted the story) saying he believed it was China man made virus and there's a chance we should be talking about China paying. I see no real upside for China to allow people to come in and make this about fucking them financially for generations, because the outcome won't be truthful or honest, they'll go and find the selected evidence they want for the outcome they want. A little like WMD in Iraq. Our leaders don't care who dies. They just care how this is being paid for. 

Pilger’s film ‘The Coming War on China’ was interesting as fuck. I can’t remember most of it but one thing that really stuck in my mind was the graphic of how many US military bases are surrounding China and Russia. 

r0_0_620_349_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

The whole film is on YouTube. I’ll have to watch it again. 

36 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

You haven’t included the Members Forum there. And rightfully so. 

Rico’s trolling of TK last night was woeful, even by his standards. As was the stock response of “Bellend” 

Disappointing all round really, and I’d like to think the standard will improve now that everyone has sobered up. 

I thought it was hilarious. Painted himself into a corner. Don’t worry though, his WhatsApp support group will be there for him.  He’ll have already created a new username and will be lurking.   

31 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

We're heading into a permanent position of stalemate then aren't we ? Everyone is pointing the finger at everyone else. Nobody trusts anyone to do the right thing and the divisions are becoming wider.  

6 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

We're heading into a permanent position of stalemate then aren't we ? Everyone is pointing the finger at everyone else. Nobody trusts anyone to do the right thing and the divisions are becoming wider.  

I think it's always been the way, we just change the bogeyman from time to time. 

The anti china stuff will stop with Biden I suspect. 

The US and Chinese economies need each other. Lots of people in both countries, and in Russia and the middle east make money from globalism.

Trump basically is too thick to understand it.

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The anti china stuff will stop with Biden I suspect. 

The US and Chinese economies need each other. Lots of people in both countries, and in Russia and the middle east make money from globalism.

Trump basically is too thick to understand it.

Biden has to win 1st. 

And the USA loves an enemy. It may not be Chiba, but they'll continue to attempt to destabilise the world like they almost always do. 

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I think he feels he should. Don’t get me wrong, work have been brilliant. He was actually on probation as he was quite new. Work ended it as soon as he was diagnosed so he was entitled to all benefits and even sorted him out with £250 for every night he was in hospital. His boss is trying to convince him to stay off longer. 

Not many decent employers left anymore. 

I reckon he’ll appreciate what they’ve done and want to return asap as a thank you gesture. 

It’s amazing what being a decent employer and manager can achieve. 

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Not many decent employers left anymore. 

I reckon he’ll appreciate what they’ve done and want to return asap as a thank you gesture. 

It’s amazing what being a decent employer and manager can achieve. 

They really are brilliant. After 22 yrs at the Gas it’s refreshing.  I actually enjoy work which I hadn’t for about 6 years. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

They really are brilliant. After 22 yrs at the Gas it’s refreshing.  I actually enjoy work which I hadn’t for about 6 years. 

I was 11 years at the NAS and would still be working with at the same hospital I started out in 1999 if it was still open. 

Now I don’t even want to work in the sector. 

From The Guardian :

The nationwide lockdown to prevent the spread of Covid-19 “should have happened earlier”, according to a Sage expert. Epidemiologist professor John Edmunds said he thought the government’s “situational awareness” would have made it difficult to impose the measures sooner, but that the delay “has cost a lot of lives”.

In response, Matt Hancock said he was “sure” the decision to lock down on 23 March had not cost lives. Speaking on BBC One’s The Andrew Marr Show, Hancock said the government had “made the right decisions at the right time” but said lockdowns could be reimposed locally or nationally if infections rise significantly.

One of the worst affected countries in the world and over 40k dead. Imagine being stupid enough to blindly believe Hancock. Or even watching Hancock on Marr and thinking it was good tv, I'm hoping that's a seriously small percentage of the population.

16 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Another great policy they’ve thought through in detail.

Let’s have local lockdowns! Hurrah! Announce it to the world.

How does it work?

Er...

I think I know how one bit works. If it goes wrong, no matter how badly it goes they get someone to say something that includes "We will continue to be guided by the latest scientific advice." Then hope for the best.

• Upvote 1

Brazil have stopped reporting the cumulative total as they have now surpassed 35,000 deaths. Now they will only report cases in the previous 24 hours.

I wonder how long it will be before our illustrious - leaders who have a system that is the envy of the world - takes up a similar method seeing as they have a figure higher than even Brazil.