You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

On 30/05/2020 at 16:31, aRdja said:

I hate that cunt.

I’ve listened to Late Night Live with Philip Adams for years over here, and he has him in regularly, does my fucking nut, as he expresses his opinion on how Britain feels. Should have a left leaning voice on as well. He has more varied US commentators, left centre right.

7 hours ago, SasaS said:

It definitely made a difference in Q1, when they fared considerably better than the early lockdown countries, which is understandable since they didn't over night shut down hospitality industry in March and disrupt everything else that much.

5a7ea909-e708-f3d3-8375-e2510298e1b8

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/kJ75LQ/dokument-avslojar-sa-forsoker-regeringen-radda-sverigebilden

according to this document from the Swedish Foreign Secretary, the Swedish diplomats has been too bad at selling the Swedish model for handling the Corona Virus to other countries and should be expected to sell it better. 

the cynic in me thinks that the reason for this is them knowing they fucked up and it is now damage limitation. 

4 hours ago, DJLJ said:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/kJ75LQ/dokument-avslojar-sa-forsoker-regeringen-radda-sverigebilden

according to this document from the Swedish Foreign Secretary, the Swedish diplomats has been too bad at selling the Swedish model for handling the Corona Virus to other countries and should be expected to sell it better. 

the cynic in me thinks that the reason for this is them knowing they fucked up and it is now damage limitation. 

They're top ten for deaths per capita, top 5 if we pull out Andorra and San Marino as outliers due to their small populations-

image.png

By comparison, Denmark is 26th with 100 deaths/ million, Finland 37th and Norway 47th with under 50. Sweden's daily infection and death rates are regularly about 10-20 times higher than in Denmark at the moment, with no real reduction in infections at all. The factors previously discussed on here, like strong sense of civic duty and a relatively low density population without widespread communal family groups appear to have kept them from a complete disaster, but I dread to think what would have happened in other countries if they'd done the same.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

The residents of Harlesden in London decide to hold a block party. Dickheads gonna dickhead. 

They need to change the angle. They need to throw money at protecting anybody who is at risk and let everybody else get back to living. Ultimately people will feel that they have a responsibility for their own health, but not for everyone elses. Call it selfish or whatever, but it is evident. The lockdown appears to be over, especially for younger people.

Woo is that pibs have been told they will be able to open with restrictions in England from July 3rd. I'm sure people will maintain their social distancing when goal are flying in and teams are winning trophies or promotions.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Surely the numbers are going to go through the roof again. 

It depends on whether you believe the virus is buring out or not. If it isn't, then yeah, likely to see some spikes if not a wave. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

They need to change the angle. They need to throw money at protecting anybody who is at risk and let everybody else get back to living. Ultimately people will feel that they have a responsibility for their own health, but not for everyone elses. Call it selfish or whatever, but it is evident. The lockdown appears to be over, especially for younger people.

Woo is that pibs have been told they will be able to open with restrictions in England from July 3rd. I'm sure people will maintain their social distancing when goal are flying in and teams are winning trophies or promotions.

Pibs open? Woo!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

So we have one of the most useless fucking governments on the planet for dealing with this virus and we're supposed to be having on average around 8000 people a day still being infected in England alone, and somehow relaxing the so-called lockdown rules is going to turn out well?

I can't see how there's not a second wave incoming, and the signs of it might appear a lot faster than in two weeks time.

At least people will have had while to get outdoors again and meet other people if restrictions are put back in place, but it'll surely be at the cost of a lot more lives. (incase anyone's wondering, I'd have preferred restrictions in place a bit longer. People with extreme mental health issues from being stuck inside should've been given some way of getting out more though to prevent that from being prolonged.)

I agree about the extra lockdown. I thought the intention was three months - March 20th through to June 20th and then it got reviewed. But it is just being winged.

So that Home Office cretin is to speak today about the importance of a fourteen day quarantine in order to help avoid a second wave. 

Genuine question as I know there are posters clued up on such things more than me. If this is something needed to prevent a second wave, why wasn’t it used to prevent, or at least slow down, the first one? I’m guessing it was probably too late to prevent completely but I don’t understand why it wasn’t used to help flatten the curve quicker if it’s seen as a prevention tactic now. 

Edit: If the answer is simply because the Government are incompetent cunts, then a reply saying, ‘Cunts’ will suffice. 

• Like 1

The less we see of Johnson the more inclined I am to believe the intensive care pudding was somewhat overegged. I reckon he's had some kind of mini breakdown. You'd imagine someone who's bullshited and lied their way through life and has always been able to walk away from the damage might find it tough in a situation like this.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The less we see of Johnson the more inclined I am to believe the intensive care pudding was somewhat overegged. I reckon he's had some kind of mini breakdown. You'd imagine someone who's bullshited and lied their way through life and has always been able to walk away from the damage might find it tough in a situation like this.

Many many rumours that he is alcohol dependent.

7 hours ago, DJLJ said:

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

They're top ten for deaths per capita, top 5 if we pull out Andorra and San Marino as outliers due to their small populations-

image.png

By comparison, Denmark is 26th with 100 deaths/ million, Finland 37th and Norway 47th with under 50. Sweden's daily infection and death rates are regularly about 10-20 times higher than in Denmark at the moment, with no real reduction in infections at all. The factors previously discussed on here, like strong sense of civic duty and a relatively low density population without widespread communal family groups appear to have kept them from a complete disaster, but I dread to think what would have happened in other countries if they'd done the same.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Dont' know why they would have to sell their model to the rest of the world, also,  it's not like it was something new, they said they were not going to do anything they are not sure it works.

You can't blame them for having a population with a strong sense of civic duty and settling on a model reflecting that.

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

This 14 day quarantine. I've a holiday booked if I can't go it is what it is but now the government is saying it's okay to travel but you have to quarantine for 14 days they have essentially made it impossible for me to go but if I cancel it's my fault and I'll lose my cash.

I worry that the country I'm going too will implement a quarantine too (in fact I think they already do - Malta - https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/quarantine.aspx) and I'd be stuck in a hotel room for a week. Hardly a holiday. Its so fucking uncertain. They only think that is certain is the companies will be bailed out and you and me joe public will be shat upon from a great height.

EDIT: Maltes gov website:

Persons entering malta after having travelled in any country must go into mandatory quarantine for 14 days immediately on arrival. They can resume their activities on the day following the 14 days period of quarantine. The 14day period starts from the day of departure from any country to malta, and ends at midnight on the 14th day. E.g. quarantine starting on 7th april ends at midnight on 21st april. This is enforceable by law. Failures to observe this obligation will result in fines of €3,000 each time a person is found to be in breach of quarantine.

Fuck that.

21 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

This 14 day quarantine. I've a holiday booked if I can't go it is what it is but now the government is saying it's okay to travel but you have to quarantine for 14 days they have essentially made it impossible for me to go but if I cancel it's my fault and I'll lose my cash.

Is that what the booking firms are saying? Snidey as fuck if so.