You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. Plus more people will 'break' rules under the assumption that its ending thus putting the onus back on people not the government. 

I know you know this but they aren't thick, they are just evil. Everything they do is calculated to deflect blame and ensure they benefit as a party over anything else. Either profit or power. 

My Dad's regular carer is already saying that things are finally returning to normal. My concern is that she is going out and about without a care in the world and she could easily transmit something to him while she is working with him.

Unfortunately many people do not read between the lines. Matt Hancock told the truth from a certain perspective, from another perspective he has with-held a big part of the facts that make that truth whole. But many people will not notice the daily jump and only listen to the total figure, which is fair as that's how the press conferences have operated up to this point.

Easing lockdown seems to include changing the way they report things to us, so it's to their benefit and not ours.

2 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Well I guess it’s a sort of Brexit

No early return for UK tourists, says Spain

Spain's tourism minister has cast doubt on the prospect of an early return by UK holidaymakers to Spanish beaches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52882177

Thank fuck for Irish passports. 

Any country that has tried to deal with the virus, rather than opt for project herd immunity, should be blacklisting brits and yanks for years to come. 

16 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

One would think that Sweden’s anti-lockdown policy would help the economy, but predictions do not support this view. The European Central Bank calculates that Sweden will suffer a recession in the 6.9-9.7 percent range, just where the rest of Europe is expected to be.

That's from April 30th from what I can tell.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

So if the Tories handled this properly I potentially could of been going on holiday in July. 

It's going on the list!

I reckon you still might, but no thanks to the abysmal way that this has been handled. If we don't see a spike in infections in the next fornight then you can start shopping for speedos.

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I reckon you still might, but no thanks to the abysmal way that this has been handled. If we don't see a spike in infections in the next fornight then you can start shopping for speedos.

I think I'll probably just move the date, not sure how enjoyable a social distancing holiday would be. 

53 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I've just booked to go to Spain on July 25th.

Yesterday was the lowest day of global deaths (apart from an anomaly on May 25th) since March 27th. Hopefully this trend continues.

I hope it does too, but with people protesting all over the place about what's going on in the US, us trying to go back to normal when we didn't have this under control very well, India, Brazil and other countries due for way more chaos I'm not confident at all.

If the UK ends up with tens of thousands more deaths in a 2nd wave I find it insane really, because another month or so without lifting restrictions might have made things a lot safer. Not that it'd make me happy for that to be the case either (more restrictions not people being safe) as there's people all over the country stuck inside in bad situations (like blocks of flats that I think Section mentioned too) so there's no way out of this where people don't suffer badly.

We'll find out in about 2 weeks anyway what the result of this is, and in the US too with all of the protesting. I feel sick thinking about it really.

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

If the UK ends up with tens of thousands more deaths in a 2nd wave I find it insane really, because another month or so without lifting restrictions might have made things a lot safer. Not that it'd make me happy for that to be the case either (more restrictions not people being safe) as there's people all over the country stuck inside in bad situations (like blocks of flats that I think Section mentioned too) so there's no way out of this where people don't suffer badly.

That's actually a salient point. I think it has got to the stage where some people hope their is a second wave to confirm the mismanagement by the government. I don't think we need any further proof that they absolutely fucked this, although n doubt if it does burn out they will be trying to claim that it was through their excllent management, rather than by chance.

If this thing does burn out, the government still need to be held to account, but I fear it never will be.

15 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

If this thing does burn out, the government still need to be held to account, but I fear it never will be.

After all of the deaths we've had you'd think it'd happen, but agreed it's really unclear if they'll be held to account at all and even more crazy to think that they still have supporters willing to brush it all aside as long as "leftists" don't get into power. Imagine trying to describe this scenario here and in the US to people 5 or so years ago, we'd be laughed at and probably classed as completely insane (something similar might have already been mentioned but I'm tired and can't remember what's gone on in this thread properly + have missed big parts of it recently.)

But here we are, and as much as everything else I really hope this does start fading out as a virus like you said. Maybe the heat will end up having some effect even though some have doubted that's going to happen, or something else will work like the mutations making it weaker because our versions of social distancing and our govs clearly aren't up to the job at the moment of slowing it down enough.

Anybody booking a holiday until countries say it’s safe to travel and the guidance is no longer “essential travel only” is very brave IMO.

Pretty sure any holidays booked after certain dates won’t be covered by insurance. Think mine was 8th March. 

I was due to go to America for 3 weeks from 24th July (Texas, Montana & Maine) which I’m trying to get cancelled and refunds for. 

I’m due to go to Dubai in October, I’m reasonably confident on that being Ok. 

Both holidays were booked before 8th March. 

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Anybody booking a holiday until countries say it’s safe to travel and the guidance is no longer “essential travel only” is very brave IMO.

Pretty sure any holidays booked after certain dates won’t be covered by insurance. Think mine was 8th March. 

I was due to go to America for 3 weeks from 24th July (Texas, Montana & Maine) which I’m trying to get cancelled and refunds for. 

I’m due to go to Dubai in October, I’m reasonably confident on that being Ok. 

I have booked flightl only, so I will be covered should the flight not be able to fly.

15 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I have booked flightl only, so I will be covered should the flight not be able to fly.

I’m desperate for my flight to be cancelled! We’re flying Manchester to Houston, I’m selfishly hoping the riots get worse there!

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’m desperate for my flight to be cancelled! We’re flying Manchester to Houston, I’m selfishly hoping the riots get worse there!

We were supposed to be in Costa Rica the last fortnight getting married, but we felt like we hoped it would be cancelled. I've booked this because it was cheap and because I believe/hope things will be very different in the next 7 weeks.