You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We need a rethink on how we work. Hours and shift patterns, what we actually think about life. Disclaimer Covid isn't a good thing I'll just say that now this is devastating  the loss of life and the economic cost. There's no positive to the virus.

But.. I've never had this much time off in my entire life unless you count pre school and isolation from other people aside I've loved not having the entire structure of my life dictated by work it's genuinely the first time in my life I've felt kind of free , mentally physically I feel fucking great, forget the shiny shit money buys, it's the time it can buy you that's what makes someone rich. People born into money must have zero clue about how life is, they are furloughed from the day they are born with the option of working and chasing dreams knowing there's a golden safety net under them all the time. How liberating must that be, you don't have the fear of falling.

My sister's, cousins and friends are spending amazing time with their kids, some of them barely see their kids at all now they are making memories, making things, going for walks of course the sunshine has helped. 

Of course we've got to work but time is the most precious commodity and that should come at a cost, 8+Hrs a day the 40 hour a week seems arbitrary. Quality of life takes a back seat to "just be a worker bee" you can relax when your old and too fucked to do anything else. We are more than cattle.  My grandad retired at 65 and was dead at 67, left school fought in a war then worked 12 hours a day pretty much until he died. Cattle! With Automation and climate change it seems fucking obscene that governments carrying on as usual with no forward thinking for better change. 

I've no idea how a UBI would work in terms of financing or some other way to reduce peoples hours and let them smell the roses. We've all lost people we love some very young, time is everything it's why I believe 100 percent a real living wage should be the absolute minimum hourly rate. Personally I think it would be a fucking disgrace to go back to the politics and systems to the way things were pre covid. Do we have a single forward thinker in British politics that doesn't want the status quo with slight adjustments here and there.

I believe in a mixed economy, I don't particularly like ideology, it's about balance. This country is totally off balance as human beings we are totally off balance. We know what's important really, usually when it's too late we are reminded of it.

And that's why it's all come crashing down quicker than it took to get started. The spirit of collectivism, of people realising what's important in life, the prospect of large sections of the population seeing a better way of life, was a threat to them and to their status quo.  They had a moment in time where this could have been harnessed for good, but there was never any chance of them doing so. They only used the "all in it together" for their own nefarious ends, and while the Cummings mess may not have been planned it was soon recognised as an opportunity to expedite "operation back to work". 

C'mon man - 

A Belgian prince has apologised after being caught breaking Spain’s lockdown rules by attending a party, where he became infected with Covid-19.

Prince Joachim, nephew of King Philippe of the Belgians and 10th in line to the throne, said on Sunday he deeply regretted his actions and would accept “all the consequences”.

In other news Sweden now neck and neck per capita with France.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you are waiting for them to change anything you better pack a sandwich.

That was my point, it was never going to be allowed to happen. But the opportunity was there so they ensured it disappeared quicker than it arrived. 

• Upvote 1

It seems that Iran didn't get the memo.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/01/iran-rapid-rise-in-covid-19-cases-stokes-fears-of-second-wave

The latest figures showed 2,979 new infections in the previous 24 hours, taking the total of infections in Iran to 154,445. The daily figure is the highest since 1 April. The comparative figure for 1 May was 802 new infections.

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

C'mon man - 

A Belgian prince has apologised after being caught breaking Spain’s lockdown rules by attending a party, where he became infected with Covid-19.

Prince Joachim, nephew of King Philippe of the Belgians and 10th in line to the throne, said on Sunday he deeply regretted his actions and would accept “all the consequences”.

Come on Belgium. Set the example.

rexfeatures_5880033k.jpg

30 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

C'mon man - 

It pissed me off the way Sweden responded. Just carried on gong the pub and restaurants while pretty much the world was on lockdown. "Aren't we all chilled and scandinavian, the world wishes it was us" Arrogant twats 

5 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Sweden's economy grew in Q1

One would think that Sweden’s anti-lockdown policy would help the economy, but predictions do not support this view. The European Central Bank calculates that Sweden will suffer a recession in the 6.9-9.7 percent range, just where the rest of Europe is expected to be.

From the Graun:

At the start of the press conference Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said that there had been 111 new UK deaths, taking the UK total to 39,045.

But yesterday the UK headline total was given as 38,489. That implies an increase of 556, not 111.

The Department of Health has yet to explain the discrepancy.

PA Media has obtained an explanation as to why today’s UK coronavirus death figures and yesterday’s don’t appear to add up.It reports.

The number of people in the UK who have died after testing positive for Covid-19 is 556 higher than the equivalent total announced yesterday, although the government is reporting the day-on-day change as 111.

The reason for the difference in these two figures is to do with how deaths are being incorporated into historic data retrospectively.

Yesterday’s cumulative total announced by the Department of Health was 38,489, which is 556 below today’s cumulative total of 39,045.

But since yesterday, 445 deaths have been added to the historic data.

These additional deaths are linked to cases that have been identified through testing that has been carried out by commercial partners, rather than testing that has been done in NHS and Public Health England laboratories.

Rather than include these 445 deaths in today’s increase, the Department of Health has incorporated them within the previous cumulative total, to create a notional total for yesterday of 38,934 (38,489 + 445).

The difference between this notional total of 38,934 and today’s total of 39,045 is 111, and this is the one being reported by the government.

Lying bastards yet again over the death figure saying today it was up by 111 but if you compare it to yesterday figure of 38,489 deaths and today’s figure of 39,045 it’s actually an increase of 556 .

On a positive note we won’t get a second wave as we won’t get out of the first one 

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The new safe anti-corona desk layout for when everyone goes back to the office

deskvirus.jpg

The right facing (clockwise) form like that is associated with Nazi Germany but before that, the right and left facing form (anti-clockwise) it was known as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.

But it would be a brave/stupid designer who goes down that road.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Misleading murderous cunts. 111 "Oh shit yay its coming right down lets all do the conga" 

Its almost like they had to announce a low figure to fit the easing of lockdown restrictions who would have thought it 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Its almost like they had to announce a low figure to fit the easing of lockdown restrictions who would have thought it 

Yep. Plus more people will 'break' rules under the assumption that its ending thus putting the onus back on people not the government. 

I know you know this but they aren't thick, they are just evil. Everything they do is calculated to deflect blame and ensure they benefit as a party over anything else. Either profit or power. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why does it have to look like a swastika?

Have'unt you heard it is a massive conspiracy by the nazi's all along with the ultimate goal of having swastika themed offices the world over. They played the long game and won.