You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

23 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Rosie Duffield has resigned as Labour Whip after breaking the lockdown rules. Unfortunately, it’s given the Conservatives a bit of ammo when defending Cummings. 

Do you reckon? I think the opposite. She's been caught bang to rights and has quit. By contrast, Cummings didn't even apologise and the whole party front bench was mobilised to try and retrospectively change the rules.

I don't think the breaking of the rules by Cummings was the biggest deal, it was the aftermath.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Do you reckon? I think the opposite. She's been caught bang to rights and has quit. By contrast, Cummings didn't even apologise and the whole party front bench was mobilised to try and retrospectively change the rules.

I don't think the breaking of the rules by Cummings was the biggest deal, it was the aftermath.

This was my initial thought on the matter as well. The Tories would be digging yet another grave if they tried to use it as ammunition. 

9 hours ago, Edwyn C said:

I know there are big differences in terms of population size, culture, land area etc throughout the world countries. 

But with the amount of time we had to prepare, couldn't we at least have copied some of the best policies from Germany, South Korea, New Zealand .... 

What stopped us? Money, brains, infrastructure, Political will ? 

Why do Germany seem better at almost everything than England?

I won't class Ireland (North and South), Wales and Scotland the same cos they on the surface seem to have handled Coronavirus better than England. I might be wrong, just my perception up to now.   

Herrenvolk?

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

They’ll use anything to try and distract from it. Quitting being the whip isn’t quitting being an MP, whereas everyone wants Cummings to lose his job. It was an unnecessary bit of ammunition on top of that dickhead Kinnock.

Guest Edwyn C
8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Herrenvolk?

Ha no i don't believe in a "master race" that wasn't were i was coming from.

It was more of a throwaway remark. Germany just seems like a far better run country than England in most areas. 

Maybe the simple answer is that we keep electing incompetent Etonian Tories to run the country. 

3 minutes ago, Edwyn C said:

Ha no i don't believe in a "master race" that wasn't were i was coming from.

It was more of a throwaway remark. Germany just seems like a far better run country than England in most areas. 

Maybe the simple answer is that we keep electing incompetent Etonian Tories to run the country. 

Or start comparing UK with countries like France, instead of Germany.

Guest Edwyn C

Yeah that's fair enough. It seems like a lot of European countries have handled it badly.

It just seems like the tories have dealt with Covid especially badly. I don't know much about the governments in France, Italy, Spain etc  so maybe they have all fucked it up just as badly as we have?  

From Guardian updates :

Patrick Vallance, the government’s chief scientific adviser, has said that herd immunity “was never an aim” of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) and “never could be”.

"Allowing many people to catch Covid to create widespread immunity was never an aim and never could have been with a committee comprised of many doctors who have spent their lives dedicated to improving health.

Immunity on the other hand is something that prevents transmission and we all hope that a vaccine to induce immunity will become available."

Twat.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

From Guardian updates :

Twat.

Witty is not to be trusted imo.  Knowing someone who knows him in a work capacity, let's just say he's not as averse to politics / politically motivated choices as he likes to make out. 

I don't know if the same can be said of Vallance. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Witty is not to be trusted imo.  Knowing someone who knows him in a work capacity, let's just say he's not as averse to politics / politically motivated choices as he likes to make out. 

I don't know if the same can be said of Vallance. 

I wouldn't be surprised with the way he was so casually talking about herd immunity back in march.

3 hours ago, Edwyn C said:

Yeah that's fair enough. It seems like a lot of European countries have handled it badly.

It just seems like the tories have dealt with Covid especially badly. I don't know much about the governments in France, Italy, Spain etc  so maybe they have all fucked it up just as badly as we have?  

No, they haven't.

Mind you "fucked it up" implies that the Tory government were desperate to save lives but simply made bad decisions. Which hasn't been the case. They wanted to follow a "herd immunity" plan (geronticide) and every single action or inaction for the last few months has pointed towards just that. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

No, they haven't.

Mind you "fucked it up" implies that the Tory government were desperate to save lives but simply made bad decisions. Which hasn't been the case. They wanted to follow a "herd immunity" plan (geronticide) and every single action or inaction for the last few months has pointed towards just that. 

You used to be a big proponent. What changed?

21 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

That isn't true.

It's the generation between mine and theirs that needs to go.

I seem to remember you were hoping for a cold winter as an election strategy.

Anyway, I don't think it was deliberate anywhere, they all panicked and prioritized hospitals because this is what the experts kept repeating was the biggest danger, overwhelmed health care, and governments already knew that not many people care that hundreds or thousands die from flu every winter depending on the country.

And then it turned out protecting care homes is much easier said than done, there are scandals in almost every country, they were either completely abandoned in panic, or suffered high level of staff absenteeism, or they simply couldn't cope even with full staff with all the protocol requirements 24/7 and nobody had enough PPE so hospitals came first. The aged were always first on the list of sacrifice, most other vulnerable categories would have been next if the total breakdown of society threatened. 

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I seem to remember you were hoping for a cold winter as an election strategy.

Anyway, I don't think it was deliberate anywhere, they all panicked and prioritized hospitals because this is what the experts kept repeating was the biggest danger, overwhelmed health care, and governments already knew that not many people care that hundreds or thousands die from flu every winter depending on the country.

And then it turned out protecting care homes is much easier said than done, there are scandals in almost every country, there were either completely abandoned in panic, or suffered high level of staff absenteeism, or they simply couldn't cope even with full staff with all the protocol requirements 24/7 and nobody had enough PPE so hospitals came first. The aged were always first on the list of sacrifice, most other vulnerable categories would have been next if the total breakdown of society threatened. 

Snowed in for a few days, nothing more.

As for the rest, I'll respectfully pull a Major Tom here. At least a fortnight late doing anything and even then only started due to public pressure and organisations, companies, and individuals taking action independent of the government.

Sham of a lockdown that was/is deliberately vague so no-one has a fucking clue what they're allowed to do.

Only contracting stuff from their donors/mates, knowing full well most of it would never get here or even get made.

Then reopening the country when every scientist that isn't being paid off is saying it's a fucking dangerous idea.

Nah, they don't fucking care. They're quite happy loads have died, better for the economy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Snowed in for a few days, nothing more.

As for the rest, I'll respectfully pull a Major Tom here. At least a fortnight late doing anything and even then only started due to public pressure and organisations, companies, and individuals taking action independent of the government. Sham of a lockdown that was/is deliberately vague. Only contracting stuff from their mates, knowing full well most of it would never get here or even get made. Then reopening the country when every scientist that isn't being paid off is saying it's a fucking dangerous idea.

Nah, they don't fucking care. They're quite happy loads have died, better for the economy.

Aye, it’s easy to forget that we were pretty much the last country in Western Europe to close schools, etc. Never mind the lockdown.