You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

This isn't true as far the UK is concerned. The government guidance, as it stands, specifically refers to the two metre rule in the context of the workplace.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing/staying-alert-and-safe-social-distancing#protecting-different-groups-of-people

In particular, workplaces should, where possible, ensure employees can maintain a two-metre distance from others, and wash their hands regularly.

Ok. What I meant was, I bet 2 metres is a fine distance when you're outside, but logically makes no sense for indoor areas. 

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The 2 metre thing is when you're outside. Inside, pretty much any distance between you and a person infected seems not to matter because the ventilation can just bring the virus to you, if the ventilation circulates the air into different rooms. 

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

This isn't true as far the UK is concerned. The government guidance, as it stands, specifically refers to the two metre rule in the context of the workplace.

He is saying you could be more than 6 feet apart, you could even be in another room. The air filtering was the main issue on airlines.

Every office, school, public space will be upgrading their HEPA filtration, would imagine some will go so far as adding UV.

20 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

distance.jpg

Is the science this is based on phonetics? As in, more guttural languages need less space, and the spitters with a lot of fricatives need at least 1.5 meters whilst the sibilant-heavy language speakers must go the whole hog of 2 meters.

The French are off the scale, I notice.

3 hours ago, TK421 said:

That's simply not true. I was critical about their guidance on masks. I'll bump the quote on the face mask thread so that you can see. 

Mate, you can bump what you like. I'm not even sure if I've ever read that thread. I have read you on here though and for sure you slated us not having masks when it was a WHO recommendation. Even in lockdown I have neither the time or the inclination to go searching for that needle. 

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Deputy chief medical officer, Professor Van Tam, breaks rank asked says Cummings broke the lockdown rules. Concrete slippers await.

Shit, I must have missed that. I heard his response to the the fella from the observer where he didn't mention Cummings but was pretty blunt that everyone should follow the rules.

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Mate, you can bump what you like. I'm not even sure if I've ever read that thread. I have read you on here though and for sure you slated us not having masks when it was a WHO recommendation. Even in lockdown I have neither the time or the inclination to go searching for that needle. 

I have duly bumped it because what you said wasn't true. 

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

It's possible both are true. I never said you'd never criticised the WHO over masks, I only said you had called the government for not following the WHO wear a mask recommendation. 

Let's just focus on what you did say rather than what you didn't say.

I said the following:-

6 hours ago, TK421 said:

The WHO can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. 

To which you replied with:-

6 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Yet you thought it was smashing over masks and were fuming we didn't follow their guidance. 

Your above quote is simply not true.  I was very critical of the WHO when, on 7th April, they changed their face mask guidance.  As follows:-

On 07/04/2020 at 17:57, TK421 said:

On 07/04/2020 at 18:26, TK421 said:

No. Gutted that the WHO has chosen the wrong option as I think it will lead to a higher death toll. 

Their rationale is unscientific.  They say there is "no evidence".  Well, it's their job to find the evidence.  Face masks either help or they don't. Find the evidence and then form a conclusion based on it.  Don't just say there isn't any, it's the ultimate cop out.  

They admit that the disease can be transmitted by asymptomatic carriers.  That being the case, it's shocking that they haven't changed their guidance.  They're not fit for purpose.

I don't ever recall being critical of the UK government for not following the WHO's guidance on face masks because, as demonstrated above, I've always been critical of the WHO's guidance on face masks. So it wouldn't make sense for me to criticise the UK government for not following what I think is bad advice from the WHO. And I'm not prepared to take your word for it, because you've been misrepresenting me as opposed to what actually happened in reality.

I have been critical about the UK government on their face mask policy, and still am, but that has nothing to do with the WHO.  They're two separate issues. 

I have been consistent in my criticism of the World Health Organisation.  As I said on 7th April, they're not fit for purpose.  

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

That crowd of people. Fucking hell. 

Its daft. The problem for places like Dorset is its within distance for day trippers, then you get dickheads deciding to jump off cliffs.

I've been on 3 beaches in Cornwall this week and its really quiet, just locals, too far for people to travel for the day

• Upvote 1

Interesting read on the origin of the virus.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/top-vaccine-scientist-demands-wuhan-22077294

A vaccine scientist is demanding an investigation into the origins of Covid-19 after a team of researchers found the coronavirus "uniquely adapted to infect humans".

Professor Nikolai Petrovsky, a researcher who headed the Australian team, said the virus was "not typical of a normal zoonotic [animal to human] infection" since it appeared with the "exceptional" ability to enter human bodies from day one.

He added the virus could have been transmitted by an animal in "a freak event of nature," but the theory that it had originated in a laboratory could not be ruled out.

Mr Petrovsky, a professor of medicine at Flinders University in Adelaide, heads a biotech research unit that will begin human trials for a coronavirus vaccine next month.

He said: "I haven’t seen a zoonotic virus that has behaved in this way before."

The professor told The Mail on Sunday that Covid-19 "adapted to infect humans without the need to evolve".

Prof Petrovsky suggested the virus could have been transmitted to humans due to natural causes, but he did not dismiss the idea that this pandemic might have been created in a laboratory.

He added: "The implications may not be good for scientists or global politics, but just because the answers might cause problems, we can't run away from them.

"There is currently no evidence of a leak but enough circumstantial data to concern us. It remains a possibility until it is ruled out."

Guest Edwyn C

I know there are big differences in terms of population size, culture, land area etc throughout the world countries. 

But with the amount of time we had to prepare, couldn't we at least have copied some of the best policies from Germany, South Korea, New Zealand .... 

What stopped us? Money, brains, infrastructure, Political will ? 

Why do Germany seem better at almost everything than England?

I won't class Ireland (North and South), Wales and Scotland the same cos they on the surface seem to have handled Coronavirus better than England. I might be wrong, just my perception up to now.   

In Canada, at least, it's been a question of fine margins.

Here in BC, population 5 million, half of that in Vancouver, we've had 164 deaths so far. Ontario (15 million) and Quebec (8 million) have had 2,200 and 4,400 deaths respectively.

The virus first appeared in Ontario and BC around the same time, and later in Quebec.

But it seems the government here in BC made some very good decisions in keeping the virus from spreading in senior living facilities. 80% of deaths in Canada have been in such facilities.

A good supply of PPE, providing financial support to employees of such facilities so they worked in only one facility and didn't travel between homes, and better infrastructure (few multi-person rooms, etc) are getting credit.

The changes in rules are weird. It's like Boris has been negotiating with the virus. Virus: "Okay we will allow 6 people to gather together, 2 metres apart but you can't force them too wear masks in return you will give us your elderly your most vulnerable the people least economically profitable" 

• Upvote 2