You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Did the government not make weasel words along the lines of 2m where possible? Like everything they've done, they've left a loop hole for anyone to exploit. 

That's exactly what I'm talking about. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I don’t think that’s unusual. I always bought it online anyway. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071HH4YXX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been taking this for the last few years. It's currently out of stock, but there are plenty of alternatives available on Amazon and Holland and Barrett.

49 minutes ago, Elite said:

How much Vitamin D do you take? I've started taking Wellman vitamins since I left hospital, it has 10ug per day, not sure if that's enough.

As it's measured in different doses I will make a quick guide...

A microgram is written as ug. 25 micrograms (25ug) is 1000iu (International Units). If a person is Vitamin D deficient, it is recommended that to maintain an acceptable level of Vitamin D requires a daily intake of between 400iu (10ug) and 3000iu (75ug).

I would assume that 10ug (400iu) is prescribed as this is the minimum dosage that will be of benefit to the body but would likely not take a person above Vitamin D deficient when not experiencing sunlight. According to the NHS, this is enough for most people. However this amount is recommended for babies and infants to prevent Vitamin D deficiency. For this reason, I would work on the basis that 10ug is low for an adult.

It is important not to take more than 100ug (4000iu) per day as this could be harmful in the long term.

I personally take 50ug (2000iu) per day as this is most likely to help achieve the minimum required blood level of 20ng/ml but no higher than 30ng/ml...

Depending on who you ask, blood levels above 20 ng/ml or 30 ng/ml are considered as “sufficient.” One study of healthy adults showed that a daily intake of 1120–1680iu (roughly 30ug to 40ug) was needed to maintain sufficient blood levels.

It's worth noting that Vitamin D can produce higher levels of calcium (this was mentioned by @Razoray earlier in the thread) - by taking Vitamin K2 (made from MK7 naturally found in chickpeas rather than MK4 which is synthetic - worth checking the label/buying guide for MK7) this vitamin helps to bind calcium to the bones rather than be deposited into the blood cells.

Without sufficient vitamin K2, calcium is not bound to the bone matrix, but free to be deposited in blood vessels, which is not good for our bones or our hearts. Vitamin K1 can be easily digested through green leaf vegetables.

In summary, I take 50ug (2000iu) Vitamin D and 20ug (800iu) Vitamin K2. I also like to eat green veg like spinach, kale, broccoli etc as this produces natural vitamin K1.

5 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

As it's measured in different doses I will make a quick guide...

A microgram is written as ug. 25 micrograms (25ug) is 1000iu (International Units). If a person is Vitamin D deficient, it is recommended that to maintain an acceptable level of Vitamin D requires a daily intake of between 400iu (10ug) and 3000iu (75ug).

I would assume that 10ug (400iu) is prescribed as this is the minimum dosage that will be of benefit to the body but would likely not take a person above Vitamin D deficient when not experiencing sunlight. According to the NHS, this is enough for most people. However this amount is recommended for babies and infants to prevent Vitamin D deficiency.

It is important not to take more than 100ug (4000iu) per day as this could be harmful in the long term.

I personally take 50ug (2000iu) per day as this is most likely to help achieve the minimum required blood level of 20ng/ml but no higher than 30ng/ml...

Depending on who you ask, blood levels above 20 ng/ml or 30 ng/ml are considered as “sufficient.” One study of healthy adults showed that a daily intake of 1120–1680 IU was needed to maintain sufficient blood levels.

It's worth noting that Vitamin D can produce higher levels of calcium (this was mentioned by @Razoray earlier in the thread) - by taking Vitamin K2 (made from MK7 naturally found in chickpeas rather than a MK4 which is synthetic - worth checking the label/buying guide for MK7) this vitamin helps to bind calcium to the bones rather than be deposited into the blood cells.

Without sufficient vitamin K2, calcium is not bound to the bone matrix, but free to be deposited in blood vessels, which is not good for our bones or our hearts. Vitamin K1 can be easily digested through green leaf vegetables.

In summary, I take 50ug (2000iu) Vitamin D and 20ug (800iu) Vitamin K2.

Nice one.

How do you know if you are deficient? I'm tempted to pay for a test to check all my vitamin levels and give me ideal dosages.

14 minutes ago, Elite said:

That's a fair old dose. Isn't too much Vitamin D toxic?

4000iu is the absolute maximum you should take, higher than that is toxicity. 3000iu is high but not too high. I would absolutely take K2 with that amount though.

10 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

4000iu is the absolute maximum you should take, higher than that is toxicity. 3000iu is high but not too high. I would absolutely take K2 with that amount though.

Does K2 protect you from any possible side effects of D3, or is it just an added benefit in conjunction with it?

13 minutes ago, Elite said:

Nice one.

How do you know if you are deficient? I'm tempted to pay for a test to check all my vitamin levels and give me ideal dosages.

From the NHS website...

A lack of vitamin D can lead to bone deformities such as rickets in children, and bone pain caused by a condition called osteomalacia in adults. I would assume this would be really low levels of vitamin D.

To be honest most people who live in climates similar to UK will be vitamin D deficient as sunshine is a relative luxury. On sunnier plains, it is far less likely to be a problem.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

I'm not sure of the situation right now but Vitamin D testing used to be very expensive so it was rarely offered and only given if it was absolutely necessary on the doctor's part. However I have seen private companies offer them for £29 so it's possible the prices have gone down significantly so a GP may offer it now.

Ask your GP or alternatively consider a private test. An example is here...

https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwiMj2BRBFEiwAYfTbCp8Fl2YBbPVdL8m3I_5t-vB49jq1dWS8PN33OTWctzSb_091uRGzYBoCfC8QAvD_BwE

There will of course be others available.

17 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Does K2 protect you from any possible side effects of D3, or is it just an added benefit in conjunction with it?

A bit of both, but I would say it protects more than it adds. You would still benefit from K2 alone as the main sources of it are animal organs (animals convert K1 from green leaf veg to K2) or fermented foods. If you eat lots of animal organs or fermented foods you may not need supplements. Otherwise I would suggest that you would benefit enormously.

Edit: the bit in bold made me wonder if humans convert K1 to K2. Apparently the process is very inefficient unlike animals so very little K1 is converted to K2.

45 minutes ago, SasaS said:

What is the PPE situation?

As I am self-employed, I would have to source my own PPE. I have very basic face masks which are fine for me when in shops with space around me. I have gloves but these should only be used once and I wouldn't want to provide them for others because a) they are expensive and b) I wouldn't be comfortabl offering them with some kind of guarantee they are sufficient protection for a client.

In summary I do not have access to PPE and I doubt very much the driving school would provide it.

3 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

As I am self-employed, I would have to source my own PPE. I have very basic face masks which are fine for me when in shops with space around me. I have gloves but these should only be used once and I wouldn't want to provide them for others because a) they are expensive and b) I wouldn't be comfortabl offering them with some kind of guarantee they are sufficient protection for a client.

In summary I do not have access to PPE and I doubt very much the driving school would provide it.

Jam a piece of plexiglass between the two seats

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Jam a piece of plexiglass between the two seats

And hope that the person driving knows how to steer otherwise a crash in very likely - probably from behind as I smash the brakes to avoid sudden swerves which are the scariest thing about teaching learner drivers.

21 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

From the NHS website...

A lack of vitamin D can lead to bone deformities such as rickets in children, and bone pain caused by a condition called osteomalacia in adults. I would assume this would be really low levels of vitamin D.

To be honest most people who live in climates similar to UK will be vitamin D deficient as sunshine is a relative luxury. On sunnier plains, it is far less likely to be a problem.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

I'm not sure of the situation right now but Vitamin D testing used to be very expensive so it was rarely offered and only given if it was absolutely necessary on the doctor's part. However I have seen private companies offer them for £29 so it's possible the prices have gone down significantly so a GP may offer it now.

Ask your GP or alternatively consider a private test. An example is here...

https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwiMj2BRBFEiwAYfTbCp8Fl2YBbPVdL8m3I_5t-vB49jq1dWS8PN33OTWctzSb_091uRGzYBoCfC8QAvD_BwE

There will of course be others available.

Have you had your levels checked?

1 minute ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

And hope that the person driving knows how to steer otherwise a crash in very likely - probably from behind as I smash the brakes to avoid sudden swerves which are the scariest thing about teaching learner drivers.

What kind of crazy machine are you using?

Drivers Ed cars here have two sets of steering and pedals.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Have you had your levels checked?

Good question, I haven't so far. But I'm tempted to use one of the paid services as it's relatively cheap and I would definitely benefit to see where my levels are. I mentioned on one the earlier posts that my dad has severe MS so if there is a chance of inheriting it I would prefer my D levels are higher than most. That's why I know quite a bit about it. I just don't know what my levels are.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

What kind of crazy machine are you using?

Drivers Ed cars here have two sets of steering and pedals.

Really? Two steering wheels? This is next level sorcery. I've never seen that in the UK.

14 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Good question, I haven't so far. But I'm tempted to use one of the paid services as it's relatively cheap and I would definitely benefit to see where my levels are. I mentioned on one the earlier posts that my dad has severe MS so if there is a chance of inheriting it I would prefer my D levels are higher than most. That's why I know quite a bit about it. I just don't know what my levels are.

Probably worth getting a check mate to see if what you are doing is optimal.

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

Did the government not make weasel words along the lines of 2m where possible? Like everything they've done, they've left a loop hole for anyone to exploit. 

It looks like a lot of companies are thinking on the same lines. They have seen the where possible clause and are seeing it as an opportunity to expose people to lower distancing and for it to be OK.

Driving tests are still not being conducted (apparently even emergency tests are stopped when someone commits a serious or dangerous fault now) where they normally run through to conclusion. Examiners aren't returning so presumably they have said up yours to the where possible clause.

1 hour ago, Elite said:

How much Vitamin D do you take? I've started taking Wellman vitamins since I left hospital, it has 10ug per day, not sure if that's enough.

You’re not that big nonce, David Gandy, are you?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

Probably worth getting a check mate to see if what you are doing is optimal.

I did ask for one about 15 years ago and the GP refused, I explained why I wanted it and they said as there was no medical evidence that vitamin D helps prevent MS we can justify offering it - that was even though my dad was advised to start taking vitamin D. Doctors operate from books, which is why Covid-19 has absolutely fucked them over as it's not in any books.

43 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Can you not pretend to be The Stig?

• Upvote 1