You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Jennings said:

I'm joining team Spy Bee. I am sick of all the negativity. I am having nightmares. Not sleeping.

Time to go positive.

And me, I was a little bit worried about the new restrictions but government minister Helen Whatdoiknowy has ironed it all out

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/29/dominic-cummings-borish-johnson-tories-election-trust

Cummings and the defenders of Cummings have ruined all that. They’ve made too many feel like mugs for taking their deprivation so literally, when really it was only ever optional. Beyond the political fallout and the effect on public health messaging, this is where much of the current anger comes from. Together, we had created something precious in the midst of all this death and sorrow – and those in charge have made a mockery of it.

Can't help feeling this was deliberate- the defence of Cummings and destruction of the original message that we were all in this together were the 'out'. Leaving him in place against all common decency fractures the previous support for what we were being told. Even better, the scientists, even those that were relied upon to say what the government wanted, are being sidelined.

'All that' in the first sentence refers to the sense of solidarity and common decency we all felt when this first started. Can't have that. Remember when delivery drivers and zero hour employees were lauded? Now- fuck 'em. 

Teachers are the next in line. There'll be a concerted effort to denigrate them and any councils that refuse to let kids back to school under the latest madness.

• Upvote 1

Remember after the financial crash all those times the Tories and panellists on shows like Question Time kept saying “we don’t want to end up like Greece and how they run their country.

Bit ironic now isn’t it....174 deaths after locking down early 

Coronavirus: Greece to open up in two weeks, but not to the UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52854979Rcan take a picture of Jeremy Corbyn, superimpose it onto a picture of the Kremlin, give it a red tint, reduce the contrast to make his hat look like an ushanka, enlarge it and use it as the backdrop for an entire segment, and no apology is deemed necessary.

8 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

I've taken it in quite a low dosage for a long time as it's incredibly easy to be vitamin D deficient. I now take two a day (between 1600ius and 2000ius a day as deficiency can vary based on personal condition). No studies have been completed to prove that it helps to overcome Covid-19, however there is a section in that video that mentions a survival rate was much higher in patients who were not Vitamin D deficient compared to those that were deficient in a coincidental selection of patients. Tests are now beginning in at least three countries but outcomes are likely to take a while. 

It's not a magic bullet but it helps in a lot of other areas anyway so if it also could help fight Covid-19 also I'd say get a years worth if you haven't already. I don't think it's going to become the new toilet roll as it isn't in the public domain at the moment.

https://www.parathyroid.com/low-vitamin-d.htm

I had a benign tumour in my parathyroid  for the past 12 months and it's a cause of low vitamin D and high calcium levels in the blood. No point in taking vitamin D  supplements as it drives the calcium levels higher. Got the tumour and one of the parathyroid glands removed in February and feel great now. 

Just off topic a bit but just pointing out that there are sometimes other reasons for deficiencies in Vitamin D

• Upvote 1

You’d cry if you weren’t laughing. This is what we’re getting in the middle of a pandemic.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/30/boris-johnsons-test-and-tracing-system-britain-lockdown?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true

Boris Johnson tells Britain that our test-and-tracing system will be “world-beating”. Here’s what I’ve witnessed from the inside.

In March, I was furloughed by my employer. The financial impact was huge, and I decided to look for some temporary work to help with the bills. I saw an online ad for a temporary “customer service adviser”, which said: “You must have your own computer and high-speed internet to download our software and communicate with our customers … Don’t let lockdown stop you getting your dream job.”

I have some experience in customer service, so I applied, and was then telephoned by someone who asked me some basic questions about customer service. He said my answers were great, and proceeded to tell me the role was working on the government’s new track-and-trace programme. They would like to offer me a role, and I could start training the following Sunday.

On my first day, I logged in and was put into an online chatroom with my new colleagues. There were about 100 of us, and it was soon pretty clear that people were having problems accessing the system correctly. Our trainer dipped in now and then, saying the training would start in 10 mins – 10 mins later, they would repeat the message.  Nearly two hours later the training began, but people were still having problems – at which point they were told there was nothing more they could do.

The training was very basic. We saw some slides about our role – the public health website we will use, and a script for what we had to say to people. We were told do not go off-script, and if there was anything we could not answer, we should ask our supervisor. 

The training was wrapped up early, and we were asked if we felt prepared. There was a chorus of no from many people. Some said yes, but I didn’t see how anyone could be prepared for something they’d only found out about a couple of hours ago, plus we hadn’t even accessed the specific programmes. I checked my schedule and saw that I was due to start the next day at 9am. Panic set in. 

The trainer told us there was a further seven and a half hours of self-led training that we had to complete before “going live”. This seemed a little unfair, if not impossible to achieve by the next morning. We were reassured that we could probably get through the training in two to three hours – but we would be paid for all seven and a half.

The trainer declared the training over and was immediately inundated with more questions from those anxious about what to do and when. The chatroom was then closed by the trainer, and were left on our own.

The self-led courses were very basic – with some generic dos and don’ts about customer data, security and so on. I completed it all in less than one and a half hours, with a score of 95%+.

The next morning I was worried, and feeling very unprepared. I felt the job was an important thing to do. But it was essential to get this right, and I didn’t really understand the role and how to use the systems. I logged in and saw a message saying I would be invited to a chatroom and to please wait.

I waited seven and a half hours (my entire shift). I called the HR helpline after about one hour and was told to relax – everyone is waiting.

The next day I was scheduled to work again. This time, I was invited to a chatroom. I recognised many of the names in the group from my training, so knew the other people were also new. Many people were writing, “Did anyone do anything yesterday?” “Do we just wait?” “What are waiting for?”

The questions quickly turned to complaint, and we were left unsupervised for hours. A message then appeared asking us to complete our online training – which was met with a chorus of “I did the training”. The day passed as we waited, re-attempted training, and wrote messages to supervisors and got no response.

Wednesday came (day four) and we got a message assuring us that we were getting paid – and to please wait. The comments came in “LOL getting paid by the government for this”, and “they’ll be clapping for us on Thursday”. It went downhill from there, and people started writing derogatory remarks. Others suggested we use the company phone system to practise calling each other on our computers. Again, supervisors didn’t interject or offer any guidance. One person set up a Facebook group (for the people in out chat) and called it Panic Room.

That night I saw someone from the track-and-trace programme had spoken to the BBC, and noted that their group had spent the day watching Netflix or playing games online. Having spent days feeling frustrated, I started to feel dejected too.

Two days later I logged in for my weekend shift and discovered nothing had changed – and that I had clocked up 40 hours of key worker pay for doing absolutely nothing.

After the Dominic Cummings story broke I started hearing more media stories about the track-and-trace programme. Health secretary Matt Hancock claimed that “highly trained track-and-trace staff” were in place. I still had not seen the government system we were supposed to use.

Over the next few days I learned more about my job from watching the news than I did from those who were supposed to supervise me. I still did not feel qualified to do it. Then it was announced by Hancock that we were going live the next day. On my chat there was a message from a supervisor asking the more experienced members of our chat to help those who needed help. The blind leading the blind! How were people who started the same day as me, and who had the same short and basic training as I had, supposed to help me do my job?

On Thursday, according the government, the system launched. But for me, nothing changed. It was a day of waiting, no system access. Yet on TV at the daily briefing, Boris Johnson told the nation all was well.

To this day I remain a “key worker”, paid £10 an hour to sit in a chatroom – alone, lost, without support or help. Despite what the government is saying, it seems the relentless problem “with the system” is another pandemic without a cure. Motivated as I am to help out during this difficult time – and after two weeks of doing “pretend” work on the track-and-trace programme – I have decided to quit and try to find a real way to help people. 

If Boris Johnson or Matt Hancock are reading this, I’d ask them to please go into the chatrooms you created and read what people are saying. You will see a lot of anger and confusion from a lot of people. And none of them have any faith that we’re properly set up to fight any increase in infection rate from this pandemic.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

That's pretty damning if true. Typical ploy from an organisation which hasn't got a clue, like they need to have a customer service in place so just go down the cheapest route possible yet claim they have a great CS. Those workers will be getting paid by using tax payers money. It's just another scandal  in a long list of them. 

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Following the science...

If there are 8,000 daily infections in England alone (where is this number coming from?) after 9 weeks of lockdown, there wasn't much of a lockdown anyway. By week 9 Italy has already lifted many of the measures and was under 800 infections a day.

21 minutes ago, SasaS said:

If there are 8,000 daily infections in England alone (where is this number coming from?) after 9 weeks of lockdown, there wasn't much of a lockdown anyway. By week 9 Italy has already lifted many of the measures and was under 800 infections a day.

Here's one estimate based on a widely used phone app- https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/covid-cases-england

@StoufferIn what capacity do you work? A driving school I work/worked with has looked at the wording of safe protocol and has come to the conclusion that as it's not possible to maintain 2 metres - and you can return to work when safe social distancing is possible - that it is OK to return to work as it is not possible to maintain 2 metres. Interpretation is you can work as it's not possible to maintain 2 metres but that does not mean you can not work. He intends to send instructors back on the roads on 8th June, same date as dentist return to work. 

I can't see this is right and if it is in violation of the law, I intend to report him as it appears reckless. 

This is also open to anyone else who may understand 'the social distancing laws'. 

By talking to the magic pixies and a bloke from the Internet I'm able to estimate that there are, in fact, no more infections from Covid and everything is safe

I'm reliably informed that the virus has mutated and now is as mild and gentle as a spring shower.

Top scientists are expecting it to mutate further and it'll be akin to a night of passion with the lovely Lucy Verasamy or Des Lynam if you're a girl

Boris Johnson has said that if you close your eyes and click your heels three times the whole country can wake up and realise it's all just been a bad dream

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

13 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

I've also started taking Vitamin K2 as they work well together - you may want to look into it yourself and if your Vitamin D supplements are prescribed, you may want to get medical advice before taking K2.

My missus said 3 places she went today where sold out of vitamin D. We may leave this pandemic more aware of our bodies and what it needs. If people keep up the hygiene maybe less colds about to. 

13 hours ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

I've also started taking Vitamin K2 as they work well together - you may want to look into it yourself and if your Vitamin D supplements are prescribed, you may want to get medical advice before taking K2.

How much Vitamin D do you take? I've started taking Wellman vitamins since I left hospital, it has 10ug per day, not sure if that's enough.

30 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

@StoufferIn what capacity do you work? A driving school I work/worked with has looked at the wording of safe protocol and has come to the conclusion that as it's not possible to maintain 2 metres - and you can return to work when safe social distancing is possible - that it is OK to return to work as it is not possible to maintain 2 metres. Interpretation is you can work as it's not possible to maintain 2 metres but that does not mean you can not work. He intends to send instructors back on the roads on 8th June, same date as dentist return to work. 

I can't see this is right and if it is in violation of the law, I intend to report him as it appears reckless. 

This is also open to anyone else who may understand 'the social distancing laws'. 

Did the government not make weasel words along the lines of 2m where possible? Like everything they've done, they've left a loop hole for anyone to exploit.