You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

No idea what that is, but there were 1887 new cases yesterday, and the regional breakdown is in the table I posted above.

Ah, I see what you were getting at. Thing is, not everyone is going to take the same amount of time to die, so it seem very dodgy to definitively say there was a peak before the lockdown. Who's to say the peak wouldn't have been even higher without the lockdown? Looking at the chart here- https://coronavstats.co.uk - there looks to be a sustained peak from about the 8th of April up to the 25th, with the absolute highest number of deaths recorded on the 21st. I don't think that supports what you're suggesting.

There's also this, from a widely used app (2 million, I think was reported) where people recorded whether they had CV-19 symptoms- https://covid.joinzoe.com/data#levels-over-time

image.png

No need for reliance on testing, the peak is quite clearly about a week after lockdown started, which fits quite nicely into the asymptomatic period.

3.7m people that app. 

SAGE: "Half of those with symptoms not isolating."

See, we really would like to accept that as a statement from an independent panel of government science advisors.
But, of course, since we know DC has been present there, that's gone out of the window quite a while ago too now, and just sounds like shifting the blame towards the public.
The result of lying, manipulating and obfuscating in all it's glory.

38 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It hasn’t got a .gov website though so it’s bollocks. 

True, reports of hundreds of thousands, potentially millions of people simply can't be trusted, not when you've got a gut feeling about something.

Big interview with the "Germany's most famous virologist" Christian Drosten in Der Spiegel. What a time to be alive, when virology is the new rock'n'roll.

"Confronting outbreaks has also become easier. There are new calculations that very clearly show that when an outbreak is identified, it doesn't really help to start testing all the possible contact people. No matter what, we'll always be too late. Inevitably. Instead, all contact persons should simply be quarantined, and not for 14 days anymore, but for just a bit longer than a week. The incubation and contagious periods – it's all quite a bit shorter than we thought in the beginning.

What are the most significant questions that still haven't been answered about this pandemic?

The most obvious one is why children don't show any symptoms. It doesn't seem to be because they have a lower viral load in their throats. I also don't believe it's a plausible explanation that they have fewer of the receptors that are attacked by the virus in their nasal mucous membranes. And then, of course: What vaccine is the best? A vaccine should work in small doses and it should be easy to produce. And then, which vaccine should be used once the pandemic has passed? Do we have to vaccinate in perpetuity?"

Is there anything about this virus that concerns you?

The biggest question is: Will it become more virulent or will it weaken? It can certainly be optimized through evolution, that does worry me a bit. And what that might look like, whether it could become more deadly, we don't know. I don't want to be a pessimist, but there is an assumption that something similar happened in 1918 with the Spanish Flu, that the virus mutated as winter arrived."

https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/virologist-christian-drosten-we-managed-to-stop-a-pandemic-wave-with-relatively-mild-measures-a-39a8ea77-ec87-4b34-9996-c94ff07c5659

10 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I thought they increased numbers, which relegated us to second in the world's shittest country rankings (for Covid).

You can do the math if you think it makes sense:

May 22 = 688

May 23 = 50

May 24 = 75

May 25 = -1,915

May 26 = 290

May 27 = 1

May 28 = 1

May 29 = 2

Heck of a turnaround there...

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You can do the math if you think it makes sense:

May 22 = 688

May 23 = 50

May 24 = 75

May 25 = -1,915

May 26 = 290

May 27 = 1

May 28 = 1

May 29 = 2

Heck of a turnaround there...

They've started reporting differently. I think they've learnt off gov.uk, just make it up and it'll be sound, don't be giving out actual figures. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

They've started reporting differently. I think they've learnt off gov.uk, just make it up and it'll be sound, don't be giving out actual figures. 

Some of the weird looking differences are due to regional reporting. A load of extra deaths from Catalonia were added at some point.