You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Fact checking this stupid cunt is fun.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-do-sars-and-mers-compare-with-covid-19#Coronaviruses-past-and-present

SARS and MERS have significantly higher case fatality rates than COVID-19. Yet COVID-19 is more infectious — the underlying SARS-CoV-2 virus spreads more easily among people, leading to greater case numbers.

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

Infections are going up in Virginia and Florida, for those who like facts and not sci-fi. 

Think the same will happen over here but if everyone adheres to the basics of social distancing and washing hands etc.etc.we will hopefully stagger towards the vaccine line early next year without a serious second wave requiring further lockdown. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, clockspeed said:

Think the same will happen over here but if everyone adheres to the basics of social distancing and washing hands etc.etc.we will hopefully stagger towards the vaccine line early next year without a serious second wave requiring further lockdown. 

I like your optimism but I think there will be a lot more pain.  Personally I don't think washing hands makes much difference when there are people breathing the same air in crowded areas, just my opinion. 

I think we are never going to be able to compare apples to oranges. It will always be of logarithmic difference.

The global, hell even the micro-local response, to MERS or SARS was never even a drop in the Covid bucket.

Given a lockdown and social distancing/mask stuff neither of those would have been a blip. Same as the flu - if we continue with these precautions imo flu infections will be halved at least. The reality is we will not continue with similar restrictions, people will continue to die from Covid and @Spy Bee will be pictured drinking a pint in July. 

2 hours ago, TK421 said:

Spy Bee is like TLW's version of Cummings.

"We have 50% here immunity already!"

"The virus will die out naturally by July!"

Silly twat. 

All he’s done is post an article that has some optimistic musings in it. He hasn’t claimed personal knowledge. Calm down Johnny Apocalypse.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

All he’s done is post an article that has some optimistic musings in it. He hasn’t claimed personal knowledge. Calm down Johnny Apocalypse.

I vehemently disagree.  He's spreading fake news all over the thread, like that Conwy Tunnel nonsense he came out with.  

SARS is not more infectious than Covid-19 and this virus will not die out naturally by July. 

Facts matter, but this dickhead deals in a different currency. 

I'm like Cummings. lol!

In terms of infections going up in areas with low infection rates, that fits the model. You don't have to take joy in people's deaths to want this to be over and to think positively about the future.

The government have fucked it already. Excess death rates in Germany are 3-5%, in the UK they are 34%.

When I deaths have fizzled out to very small two digit numbers in June, I will accept limitless rep from KTTunstall by way of an apology.

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I actually posted a news article with direct quotes, but those quotes were just not negative enough for TKdeathbecomesherskyisfallingincockbreath

Just now, TK421 said:

Doubling down like a fake news fuckwit. 

Why can I see your posts? My eyes, my eyes!

I can't prove it, but I have been told by two separate people who work for the council. If you had a death rate of 5% you would need a serious fucking contingency. As it is everything has been stretched and temporary morgues have been used.

15 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

SARS was more infectious, it was just a bit too good at quickly killing it's hosts. The cross immunity they think comes from some form of the common cold, or an unidentified Coronavirus, although the small amount of people who survived SARS and MERS may also have immunity from that.

I don't think it was more infectious, but you certainly weren't infectious till you had symptoms, so you were not spreading it so it's certainly less contagious. So common sense tells you to compare a virus that people are walking around with unknowingly and spreading it across the population, to a virus which never went through that cycle and never infected 10000 people globally is futile and makes about as much sense as comparing it to a Corona beer.

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

I don't think it was more infectious, but you certainly weren't infectious till you had symptoms, so you were not spreading it so it's certainly less contagious. So common sense tells you to compare a virus that people are walking around with unknowingly and spreading it across the population, to a virus which never went through that cycle and never infected 10000 people globally is futile and makes about as much sense as comparing it to a Corona beer.

Not sure that's all true, it was just better contained - https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-02-18/sars-coronavirus-china-epidemic

It lasted a certain number of months and just disappeared. There are other respiratory viruses that have followed a similar path. All the suggestions are that despite local hotspots this is going the same way. 

I might be wrong, we'll see. I'm not spreading misinformation though. I have posted links about cross immunity and about T Cells. I have posted the opinion of a Director of the WHO.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hey, need you guys' opinions. On December 4th, I had a stuffy nose for a couple hours and sneezed a bit. Do you think I had Corona and am now immune? Thanks. 

I reckon you can extrapolate that to cover the whole world.  Clearly the virus is dying out and will be gone entirely by July.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hey, need you guys' opinions. On December 4th, I had a stuffy nose for a couple hours and sneezed a bit. Do you think I had Corona and am now immune? Thanks. 

Some people are immune through antibodies. Some people it seems are immune through T Cells. The rest is a mystery.

22 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I like your optimism but I think there will be a lot more pain.  Personally I don't think washing hands makes much difference when there are people breathing the same air in crowded areas, just my opinion. 

Here I am saying we will bump along with sporadic outbreaks here and there not really a good outlook just think we will get to the vaccine without anymore catastrophic episodes.