You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 hours ago, aRdja said:

I’m starting to think that they want people to respond to this story by voluntarily breaking the lockdown rules... so they don’t have to be seen as to have ‘relaxed’ the rules themselves. “Look the people aren’t tired of this and are no longer listening so don’t blame us when R rises again” Am I giving them too much credit here? 

They've been wanting to do that for weeks and weeks so they can pass the blame. Notice fuck all in the way of saying 'Stay in on VE day". The sight of them wankers in Warrington doing the conga will have had them popping champagne corks in westminster. 

Putting to one side the specifics of this case it has been a clear direction of travel for major politicians that resigning is for wimps and that out lasting ( or imprisoning ) the criticism is the way to go. The likes of Trump / Johnson / Bolsonaro / Erdogan / Duterte and Netanyahu have committed crimes/breaches that would have seen politicians of relatively recent periods resign or be jailed many times over.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

These excuses are fucking ridiculous. Laughable but not in a good way.

I know I should be more worried about the ramifications of this and other government breaches , but I just cant get over how poor and badly-prepared these supposed 'mega-brains' are at the daily briefings. I used to prepare better for my quarterly work reviews.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, aRdja said:

I’m starting to think that they want people to respond to this story by voluntarily breaking the lockdown rules... so they don’t have to be seen as to have ‘relaxed’ the rules themselves. “Look the people aren’t tired of this and are no longer listening so don’t blame us when R rises again” Am I giving them too much credit here? 

I keep saying it, but I've seen nothing at any point of this experiment that they're not aiming for herd immunity, they just don't want that with bad pictures on the BBC. There's a reason we've the world's highest deaths per capita.

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

On all his little, totally acceptable trips out, was he wearing a mask ? 

He believed he had the virus and wanted to "reduce the risk of infection to anyone else", so you would think he would have been. 

Another way to reduce the risk to other people is to drive when you have problems seeing. What a hero.

On the BBC earlier, he actually said it's a good thing because it proved his eyes were good. 

Apparently some junior minister has just resigned. 

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I know I should be more worried about the ramifications of this and other government breaches , but I just cant get over how poor and badly-prepared these supposed 'mega-brains' are at the daily briefings. I used to prepare better for my quarterly work reviews.

It's beggars belief. These are supposedly highly intellectual people but look anything but.

That Michael Gove interview is the very definition of gaslighting. First of all he's defending a bullshit story in the first place, but in that he says that it was okay for him to get into his car and drive to test his eyesight, because his eyes were fine. He then acknowledges that he sat on a bench, which was lso against regulations. 

I just can't believe how hard faced these cunts are. There is zero integrity!

In his resignation letter, Douglas Ross, a junior minister in Boris Johnson’s government, wrote: “I have never met Dominic Cummings so my judgement on this matter has always been open and I accept his statement on Monday afternoon clarified the actions he took in what he felt were the best interests of his family. However, these were decisions many others felt were not available to them.

“As a father myself, my instinct is to always do what is best for my son and wife. We have been fortunate not to have caught this awful virus but if we did, we are prepared to follow the government advice and stay at home to contain this virus.

While the intentions may have been well meaning, the reaction to this news shows that Mr Cummings interpretation of the government advice was not shared by the vast majority of people who have done as the government asked.”

“I have constituents who didn’t get to say goodbye to loved ones; families who didn’t visit sick relatives because they followed the guidance of the government. I cannot in good faith tell them they were all wrong and one senior advisor to the government was right.”

• Upvote 1

It's scary times. 

The Tories traditionally always valued the pillars of blue blooded society. The civil service, the military, the police, the courts, the church, the right wing media. At least on the face of it.

This lot are happy to demonize all of it as are their followers. They only value power for power's sake, you're with them or against them. You can see that with the so called attorney general taking sides and attempts to demonize the media, with state apparatus actually being used to discredit stories. 

It's similar to what Trump's insurgency did, with its emasculation of the state department and justice department, and appointing unqualified lackeys to high office based purely on their loyalty.

Sadly, just as it looks like America's disastrous experiment with all that is coming to a close, ours is just beginning.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Sadly, just as it looks like America's disastrous experiment with all that is coming to a close, ours is just beginning.

Is it coming to a close though? Will Biden even be able to walk and talk by the time the election comes around? The situation over there is absolutely fucked... but yeah, let's copy them!

9 minutes ago, Elite said:

It's beggars belief. These are supposedly highly intellectual people but look anything but.

I think you have to accept the figures they're there to talk about they've only seen within the last hour. Also the non-politicians will not be used to or likely comfortable with the national audience they have to address. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

It's scary times. 

The Tories traditionally always valued the pillars of blue blooded society. The civil service, the military, the police, the courts, the church, the right wing media. At least on the face of it.

This lot are happy to demonize all of it as are their followers. They only value power for power's sake, you're with them or against them. You can see that with the so called attorney general taking sides and attempts to demonize the media, with state apparatus actually being used to discredit stories. 

It's similar to what Trump's insurgency did, with its emasculation of the state department and justice department, and appointing unqualified lackeys to high office based purely on their loyalty.

I think it's always been clear Johnson wants power for powers sake because he's never stood for anything. Even on the EU he sat on the fence till he realised there was more political gain being in the leave camp. I think the world is full of people who desire power. 

Cummings, who was massive in that EU campaign, has always been open about his lack of respect for the institutions you mention. He's been so successful with the EU campaign, it is obvious chancers like Johnson will try to attach themselves to his coattails. I don't see this as unusual, the only part that is unusual is someone so lacking in principle and convictions gets to lead a major party. But we've been heading towards this for decades, characters who play well and can deliver sound bites is all the majority of people want in the digital age. People used to respect men of substance. Today they just want people who soundbite to their base emotions

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think Johnson will have lost any moderate support now and, like Trump, will rely on a hard core of what are essentially extremists who will support him regardless of what he does or doesn't do. They're a minority but vocal on both sides. Interestingly, Johnson doesn't have 'Fox News' and even the Mail seem somewhat perturbed by his shit.

28 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Is it coming to a close though? Will Biden even be able to walk and talk by the time the election comes around? The situation over there is absolutely fucked... but yeah, let's copy them!

Unfortunately, I think Trump will win again.

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I think Johnson will have lost any moderate support now and, like Trump, will rely on a hard core of what are essentially extremists who will support him regardless of what he does or doesn't do. They're a minority but vocal on both sides. Interestingly, Johnson doesn't have 'Fox News' and even the Mail seem somewhat perturbed by his shit.

He has, the BBC. I've watched them and sky this morning, the difference in tone (and guests asked to comment) is stark

9 minutes ago, skaro said:

Unfortunately, I think Trump will win again.

I hope you're wrong. I cling to the hope that he hasn't increased his base from last time and the people who couldn't vote for Clinton, can bring themselves to vote for biden - or at least even if the overall voting numbers are the same they land in the right place remembering he lost the popular vote. 

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Harriet Baldwin MP, Simon Jupp MP, and Adam Tomkins MSP add their names to the list of Tory MPs who think he should resign.

Brave of them because if he doesn't go, they'll be for the firing squad.

Has the potential to be a second purge.